Preg checking

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron":26brgv84 said:
I have to preg-check everything as I have had a number of cows, and heifers over the years that would convince you they are open, but they are bred. Had one cow a couple years ago, cycled every 3 weeks through the winter, calves rode her and she stood, thought for sure she is open. Brought vet in for preg-check and she was one of the earliest bred in the group. Chock it up to hormones.

Did this kind last, or did they fall out of the herd due fertility problems in another year or two?

No issues. The one I was referring to is still in the herd. Probably on the side of being more fertile, rather than less. I know I get a lot more twins nowadays than 20 years ago. Used to be able to go about a decade between sets of twins. Now in the last 5 years I have been getting at least one set a year. Sometimes multiple sets, off different cows each time. Can be a real pain.

Look at craigslist in battle creek or jackson michigan. Some fella is selling new ones from $1650 in a town called Milan. Pretty sure they aren't premium units but premium may not be what you need. long way from GA but you can buy a lot of diesel for the difference.

To me headgate or chute doesn't matter a bit. The big helper is having a gate that you can walk into the alley with so you're not climbing over or having to walk to and from the back of the alley all the time. We generally have one person pushing cows and calves and another can then step in the alley to cut calves or deal with the backend of a cow while sorting is still going on behind.

Aaron":8dtpsfl4 said:
No issues. The one I was referring to is still in the herd. Probably on the side of being more fertile, rather than less. I know I get a lot more twins nowadays than 20 years ago. Used to be able to go about a decade between sets of twins. Now in the last 5 years I have been getting at least one set a year. Sometimes multiple sets, off different cows each time. Can be a real pain.
Aaron I've had cattle actually stand for a bull when they were within a month of calving. Had already been preg checked so I knew how far along they were. Certainly not the norm but it does happen.

J&D Cattle":1oiegz2u said:
To me headgate or chute doesn't matter a bit. The big helper is having a gate that you can walk into the alley with so you're not climbing over or having to walk to and from the back of the alley all the time. We generally have one person pushing cows and calves and another can then step in the alley to cut calves or deal with the backend of a cow while sorting is still going on behind.
Absolutely !!! At my age climbing is not fun anymore. :lol2:

TexasBred":852aqzls said:
J&D Cattle":852aqzls said:
Absolutely !!! At my age climbing is not fun anymore. :lol2:
That's what palp cages were invented for!

I have been stomped on and kicked trying to get next to a cow that is normally calm, but try and giver her shots, preg, or AI you better have a chute. I must run mean old cows because from the sound of things most a lot of folks only use a head catch or nothing at all. How do you all check your bulls each year? I would love to see someone catch 20 bulls by the head and semen test them without getting stomped on by at least a couple. I can agree if you only run 10 to 20 head of cows and rent the bull then there are cheaper options than buying a chute. However if you run more than 50 cows and have your own bulls, you need a good chute. You certainly won't catch me using only a head catch or a corner of the catch pen to work animals and the Vet won't participate either. We like our arms and legs intact for as long as possible. To years ago I had the non- pleasure of visiting the ER and surgery. For what I spent on hospital bills I could have purchased a handful of silencer chutes. Certainly you don't need an expensive silencer set up, but certainly more than a head catch if running cattle and bulls. Safety should and always be first in my opinion when working animals, for you and them..........Ok jumping down from my soap box.. :hide:

C-Ranch":3ni7qzvs said:
I have been stomped on and kicked trying to get next to a cow that is normally calm, but try and giver her shots, preg, or AI you better have a chute. I must run mean old cows because from the sound of things most a lot of folks only use a head catch or nothing at all. How do you all check your bulls each year? I would love to see someone catch 20 bulls by the head and semen test them without getting stomped on by at least a couple. I can agree if you only run 10 to 20 head of cows and rent the bull then there are cheaper options than buying a chute. However if you run more than 50 cows and have your own bulls, you need a good chute. You certainly won't catch me using only a head catch or a corner of the catch pen to work animals and the Vet won't participate either. We like our arms and legs intact for as long as possible. To years ago I had the non- pleasure of visiting the ER and surgery. For what I spent on hospital bills I could have purchased a handful of silencer chutes. Certainly you don't need an expensive silencer set up, but certainly more than a head catch if running cattle and bulls. Safety should and always be first in my opinion when working animals, for you and them..........Ok jumping down from my soap box.. :hide:
Guess everybody has their own opinions about working cattle. I use to run a lot of dairy cattle (docile I know) but always milked around 400....but I've also caught full grown brahman bulls in nothing more than a headgate, hung a nose lead in their nose, tied it off and dehorned them, all with nothing more than a 28" wide chute with a headgate at the end of it and a post behind the bulls. Never been injured. Maybe your just injury prone or a bit careless when handling cattle. How they act is often a reflection of the owner. :shock: :shock:

Latest posts