Prayers Needed for Folks In Atlanta.

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Heard on the news tonight Ford had made its last Taurus and was going to lay off 2000 workers in Atlanta. I feel for these people.

Jogeephus":1hy2p2qh said:
Heard on the news tonight Ford had made its last Taurus and was going to lay off 2000 workers in Atlanta. I feel for these people.

Unions have killed the U.S. automakers. I read a while back that the average UAW worker makes $52 per hour. Counting ALL perks.

No. I don't feel sorry for them.

MikeC":386ydwse said:
Jogeephus":386ydwse said:

Unions have killed the U.S. automakers. I read a while back that the average UAW worker makes $52 per hour. Counting ALL perks.

No. I don't feel sorry for them.

Hubby left a UAW job because of the union. He wasn't makeing nearly that much on the floor. The union made his time at work miserable. And the "perks" were nothing to write home about. Matter of fact, the health benefits were better before the union forced their way in.

My calculator can't count that high. What's 52x40x52x2000. Plus lights, water, etc. that's only a little less then twice what my wife make with 6 years of college, 8 years active duty in the army place active reserve. Nurse Practioners license in the Army and 30 years experiance total. And that's for some yo-yo who doesn't and probably can't do anything but push a button twice a minute for eight hours.

Do you suppose they will pass that on to the consumer?Z

I'd say it was a poor management decision somewhere down the line. The man or woman at that level can't make it go South.

Unions were a good thing when they first came into being, now they have just got to greedy and have ruined all the businesses, and have over priced people out of their jobs. Manufacturers go to the places like Indian and Tiawain etc for cheap labour. It seems it has happened World wide. is nothing made at Home now, either your Country or mine, that is afordable, sad how things have worked out.

Fords moved out of their plant here, and made 2000 people jobless, and now the area is a high unemployment area and is turning out bad, only a stones throw from where I live 2 - 3 miles. to be exact. sad time for those poor workers in Atlanta. :(

It is hard to sympathize with someone who has lived pay day to pay day for 20 years, bought a new truck every other year, has a ski rig and bass boat, a brand new home, and the bank actually owns everything he calls his. This person has been out on the golf course or lake instead of going to night school to better themselves. Now the media comes on the tube showing me a dude in a shiny truck crying about potentially losing his home.

I have a set of golf clubs a nice old man gave me. I have had them 7 years and never used them. I have moon lighted all my life. I have invested all the extra nickels I can get my hands on. I put myself through night school.

Some call me a workaholic. Bro-in-law calls me "the energizer bunny". If I lose my job, I'll crawl on the caterpillar or backhoe and probably make more nickels. If not it is no big deal because the bank doesn't own everything.

Edit: I will be praying that no child goes hungry or cold. The kids are innocent.

The old timers who survived the depression had a different perspective on life than most of us do.

backhoeboogie":1g9ffizf said:
It is hard to sympathize with someone who has lived pay day to pay day for 20 years, bought a new truck every other year, has a ski rig and bass boat, a brand new home, and the bank actually owns everything he calls his. This person has been out on the golf course or lake instead of going to night school to better themselves. Now the media comes on the tube showing me a dude in a shiny truck crying about potentially losing his home.

I have a set of golf clubs a nice old man gave me. I have had them 7 years and never used them. I have moon lighted all my life. I have invested all the extra nickels I can get my hands on. I put myself through night school.

Some call me a workaholic. Bro-in-law calls me "the energizer bunny". If I lose my job, I'll crawl on the caterpillar or backhoe and probably make more nickels. If not it is no big deal because the bank doesn't own everything.

The old timers who survived the depression had a different perspective on life than most of us do.

I'm not sure the Ford workers in GA deserve your assement in the first paragraph but I agree with you other than that.

I don't care for unions either but I think it is a shame for our country to lose so many jobs - here and elsewhere. I feel for the families the kids and the community. This is going to hurt not just the so called union dead-beats - its more far reaching than this. What will PMO will be for them to set up shop in Mexico like so many of our manufacturing plants have done.

Jogeephus":3gf9cyzp said:
I feel for the families the kids and the community.

Me too. Kids deserve good food, warm beds, clean living.

What I keep in mind is that anytime anyone "loses" money, someone else is gaining. Money just doesn't disappear. If I sell you cows and take a loss, you are likely gaining. If not you then it is the next buyer or else the consumer. The economy all in all is not much different than a poker game; somebody is going to lose and somebody is going to win. If everyone breaks even there is not much point to it.

Innovation made this country. A whole bunch of innovation came out of desperation.

Not arguing with you since I'd probably preaching to the choir, but what if that someone else doesn't reside in the good ole USA. This is what scares me. If money and jobs continue to go over seas there will be little of either left here and we all will be affected.

Ya'll ever wonder why carpet is one of the only textile commodities that is still a USA manufactured product?

Jogeephus":2k314c9k said:
If money and jobs continue to go over seas there will be little of either left here and we all will be affected.

You have an excellent point.

I didn't buy a Taurus this year. I have never bought one. I do indeed try to buy American made products any time I buy anything.

Also, I try to buy things from Ma and Pa businesses any time I can. Perhaps that is an ego thing. I like it when I walk into a business, they are glad to see me and appreciate my patronage.

I too am probably preaching to the choir.

backhoeboogie":325u31wm said:
Jogeephus":325u31wm said:
I do indeed try to buy American made products any time I buy anything.

Also, I try to buy things from Ma and Pa businesses any time I can. Perhaps that is an ego thing. I like it when I walk into a business, they are glad to see me and appreciate my patronage.

I too am probably preaching to the choir.

Someone else wasn't buying shirts or towels. I noticed my last pair of Levis was missing two belt loops from the factory. Must have been a cost reduction.

Wewild":g71huyri said:
Ya'll ever wonder why carpet is one of the only textile commodities that is still a USA manufactured product?
I never have thought about it, but for what reason do you say that carpet is still a USA manufactured product.

la4angus":28dmanng said:
Wewild":28dmanng said:
I never have thought about it, but for what reason do you say that carpet is still a USA manufactured product.

Because the majority supplied to the States is still made here.It is still made within a 50 mile radius of where it was invented. Dalton Ga.

I was told Monday that the plant in Hazlehurst that makes the "backing" for carpet shut down. Fella told me there are usually 200 cars in the parking lot but Monday there were only 3 or 4. He said the laminate flooring put them out.

We just lost a large grocery chain in our town. It was bought out by some foreign outfit and they moved it to SC. 200 people out of a job in our little town. These folks were definitely not union - they are just unemployed.

Jogeephus":qv90eehl said:
I was told Monday that the plant in Hazlehurst that makes the "backing" for carpet shut down. Fella told me there are usually 200 cars in the parking lot but Monday there were only 3 or 4. He said the laminate flooring put them out.

Did he say it went overseas?

I imagine all them union guys making $50.00 to $60.00 and hour for a factory job would be glad to be making $25.00 an hour and have lifetime job security.

It happened in Miami OK when the Goodrich plant went out in the 80's. They would be glad now 20 years later if they could be making the money they made back in the 70's and 80's.

There has to be a balance in pay, A factory Job that pays so good it sounds almost to good to be true will never have job security. One day someone will find a way to make the company more money and poof it is gone. They might tough it out until the plant is outdated and they have a choice to build a new plant and pay $50.00 an hour or build it in some small town in Kansas and pay $15.00 an hour.

Not sure if most you have the whole picture here... Ford is cutting back and closing plant everywhere, to the tune of thousands of jobs...
Biggest problem we see is in the south and west where JAP's are running away with the markets. (These are mostly non automotive states) Many may not remember "Buy American the job you save maybe your own."Like it or not, American Automotive is in trouble right now, NOT JUST FORD! Think about how many other jobs are affected buy this one closing in the area. Now multiply that buy the guy in Ohio or elsewhere making parts, the Mom and Pop stores, and like it or not pertaining to some of your incomes the sale of MEAT...
Watch Out...the trickle down effect is just starting...
I say God Bless to you Atlanta. Job well done, Good luck...
To the rest of you when this hits you at home, and it will. Remember the next time you drive past the foreign car lots or park it in your drive, YOU made a difference, You helped seal the fate of thousands of AMERICAN JOBS. Most of you are talking about wages and benifits. Wages are around 25 an hour and balance in benifits include pensions and insurance. (Pensions and Insurances this is a topic in itself..Through years of negotiations these all got better not all at once. Do you know that most of our foreign buddies have yet to pay pensions,and healthcare is either a National plan or a minimal amount, while our health care continues to increase out of site)
Those of you who are about to respond to this (well they make them here now...) FACT is that big three have spent Billions in the U.S. while our government has made it easier for the Non American companies to exist. A very small amount of the money made by these companies actually stays in our country.
I guess I should go now and calm down...please remember to buy American the job you save maybe your own!!!

OLDSHEP

Latest posts