Pouring Concrete on Post

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
What temperature is the minimum to mix and pour concrete ? I want to put in a board fence in front of my house. I was thinking about 50 degrees F what do you all suggest ?

thanks for the link.. I didn't find that one.. it has good info but i havent found one that said the ideal temp yet. I guess if i wait till 60 degrees I should be good. I am bored and looking for projects to do while I am only going to work 3 days a week till march.

The way i read it anything above 40 and you are OK! Just cover it and it shouldn't be a problem if you put it in the hole and shovel the dirt on top of it, it's insulated anyway!

why are you going to concrete them?
Most time when I have ever seen wood post concreted in they will rot off quicker than ones that were just tamped back in with the dirt
If I was going to put any concrete in I would pour it in dry (no water at all) about 1/3 of the way up the hole and let the ground moisture set the concrete

We set our wooden posts like Angus Cowman does. It works well and is a lot easier than mixing the concrete.
We use one bag per hole.

40 degrees for pouring foundations. With fence post I wouldn't worry about tensile strenght too much so anything that would stay above freezing for a few days to cure. I have concreted post I didn't have a long time to wait to pull wire from but usually poured a little water in around the post and then poured sackcrete in and covered with dirt. As Angus Cowman said, you could just tamp them in real good and start nailing boards. The boards will hold them until they set solid.

For posts I use the stuff that's called "Post Set" Takes maybe 5 or 10 minutes to set up hard.

Next time I do it, I'm doing it for the last time. Going to go with metal posts and secure the wood panels to them.

I often have poor timing, saw this the day after I finished my last project.

Get you some roof felt paper wrap the post and tack. Pour your concrete dry as suggested . Tamp with a rod and level lt will set pretty quick.

dun":3sn62t3x said:
tom4018":3sn62t3x said:
dun":3sn62t3x said:
For posts I use the stuff that's called "Post Set" Takes maybe 5 or 10 minutes to set up hard.

http://quikrete.com/ProductLines/FastSe ... eteMix.asp
Similar but not exactly the same stuff. They stuff I get here is a generic in plain brown wrapper and doesn;t have any gravel in it. It's more the consitency of coarse bentonite
I dunno what the powerline companys use nowdays, but that stuff sets almost immediately and lasts for decades. Comes in a big jug and is liquid. Expands some how when it goes in the hole. Wish I could get some of it for my corners--they're the only thing I quickrete in--usually because I'm in a hurry to stretch wire.
There are crosstie corners here on my place that were concreted in back in 1966 and haven't rotted out and they seen tons of rain, flood and moisture. YRMV

I agree with about 36 to 40 if you were pouring a floor or something, But for building a fence or a pole barn we never mix the concrete, just pour it in dry.

i want to use concrete just for strength reasons I guess when it goes over 40 which hasnt been lately i will mix the concrete I don't like pouring it in because to me the outer edges could get moisture but the inside be lacking and not really set correctly. I always have mixed the concrete i guess im just strange thats I forgot all about the quikrete.

denvermartinfarms":1yt8p09b said:
I agree with about 36 to 40 if you were pouring a floor or something, But for building a fence or a pole barn we never mix the concrete, just pour it in dry.
Never tried that--sure would make my life easier tho. When you pour it in dry, can you pull wire right away, or do you have to wait till it rains on it?
I usually can set 'em wet one day (summer or winter here in Texas) and string wire the next day or 2 days later. Will I be able to do so pouring it in dry?

I personally think it will take much longer to get it set completely just by pouring in dry. I would rather mix it know its gonna set and string in a couple days.

greybeard":22i1gr5p said:
denvermartinfarms":22i1gr5p said:
Never tried that--sure would make my life easier tho. When you pour it in dry, can you pull wire right away, or do you have to wait till it rains on it?
I usually can set 'em wet one day (summer or winter here in Texas) and string wire the next day or 2 days later. Will I be able to do so pouring it in dry?
Yes, if you are building a corner or a H at a gate. But if you are just going off of one post then no. What we are doing is not filing a hole completly with concrete, in a 16 inch hole 3 foot deep with a 6x6 in it we would just put about one 80lb bag in it. We may have more ground moisture though i don't know if you were in a real dry area if it would work as good. Another thing we do on every wood post is drive about 3 nails in each side to anchor the concrete.

skyhightree1":qvjx36t8 said:
i want to use concrete just for strength reasons I guess when it goes over 40 which hasnt been lately i will mix the concrete I don't like pouring it in because to me the outer edges could get moisture but the inside be lacking and not really set correctly. I always have mixed the concrete i guess im just strange thats I forgot all about the quikrete.

You can pour a little water in the hole around the post and then pour the quikrete in slow. That way it gets wet all the way through. In the summer around here you can come back the next day and pull barb wire.

No--not just one post--always H type or 90 deg 3 or 4 post corners. Mostly clay here--red clay when ya get down below 3'.

Latest posts