Hillbilly corner post

Help Support CattleToday:

They are call rock jacks here. There are lots of them. They come in various forms but all the same theory. Something to hold a stack of rocks which holds the fence. Here is a couple on the sides of a gate made with lumber. And another in a property corner made with Juniper which would have been cut near the site. I see then made with the wire basket, with wood the most common, and I have seen them made of welded up scrap iron. I have a neighbor who constructs then out of old bent Tee posts. I have couple that I have made that way. Some of the rocks I see utilized were put there by men a lot stronger than I have ever been.
View attachment 13580View attachment 13581
those are interesting, never seen them like that. I only knew the term rock jack for line posts

1645588556148.png
1645590521548.png

Last edited:
On a neighboring property I'm trying to buy. I tried to buy it 33 years ago, but it was landlocked without an easement. It's still landlocked. I didn't know that I would end up owning the adjoining land at that time.
I knew the man that owned it and lived here in the '70s. The shack is long gone, but he did collect and deposit some of his trophies. Ralph was an interesting character.View attachment 13496
View attachment 13497View attachment 13498
View attachment 13499View attachment 13500
we call them gabion posts. the method is popular for fancy landscaping in the city too.

Rocks in wire cages - what is the least diameter that is going to remain stable if the wire is 4' tall? I need to put in several where rock is shallow. Thanks.
I was curious so I did some math. 5 wires would need about 3600 ft lbs of resistance from the rock.

4 ft diameter = 12,000 ft lbs
3 ft diameter = 5,000 ft lbs
2 ft diameter = 1,500 ft lbs

I was curious so I did some math. 5 wires would need about 3600 ft lbs of resistance from the rock.

4 ft diameter = 12,000 ft lbs
3 ft diameter = 5,000 ft lbs
2 ft diameter = 1,500 ft lbs
Most of the corners I see around here are 4 ft diameter, some 3 ft. Most line and gate post are close to 3 ft.