Potty Bull Treatment?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I bought a potty discounted bull calf and gave him the full treatment in the cute...
After a week he seemed a little slow, so I brought him up to treat for shipping fever.
Then I saw that he had diarrhea - - - what would be the best therapy?

I'd probably just worm him if you haven't already, load him up with probiotics and put him on hay til he straightened up some. After he straightens our he probably needs some high quality groceries.

If you think it's shipping fever tetracycline is usually used. Otherwise just the good "nursing home" diet until he get's straightened out.

TobyBenoit":2v8gdnd2 said:
Please forgive a fat man his ignorance... But what makes a bull, "potty"?
"potty", i.e. potgutted from poor nutrition

Coccidiosis is a very common cause of diarrhea, very easy to cure, vet can look at fecal sample to diagnose.

Caustic Burno":1ijaffsa said:
Santas and Duhram Reds":1ijaffsa said:
I always thought holler tail was caused from pooor nutrition.

It is and it will make one pot gutted. I was being sarcastic.

I do believe the cause of 'hollow tail' is the same for 'hollow horn'. Around these parts, the oldtimers (and some folks still to this day) cure was a dose of turpentine and lard shoved into the cut-off horn and cut-off tail. ;-)

BTW Stocker Stevehow's he doing now? Any better?

Katherine

Injectable wormer, a big band and a dose of Draxin made him all better.
Still timid and late to the feed.
I think he will gain OK once we hit pasture, and be a money maker.

Workinonit Farm":s356hlzm said:
I do believe the cause of 'hollow tail' is the same for 'hollow horn'. Around these parts, the oldtimers (and some folks still to this day) cure was a dose of turpentine and lard shoved into the cut-off horn and cut-off tail. ;-) Katherine

Well that sounds gruesome . Are you telling me that you cut the tail or horn off and stuff the wound with lard and turpentine? Or do you mean an oral dose ?

Latest posts