Limping after IBR Treatment?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I have a 4 wt. bull that started limping 3 days after purchase. Thought it was an injury at first. He was going downhill so I treated him with Draxin on day 5. On day 6 he had noisy lungs but they cleared after several days. He is now eating better now but still has a significant limp and his joints are more swollen. Next steps?

Last edited:
Advocin is new to me. I looked it up and it claims to reduce bacterial replication. What results have you seen? How does it affect Myco?
Similarly to Bayrtil. Advocin (A180) used to be my "silver bullet" when Nuflor or the other power drugs weren't working.

Calf became very lame, and joints were continuing to swell up more after Draxin treatment. Went back to good ol Tylan 200 (which is labeled for swine arthritis) plus banimine. He still has some joint swelling but is now walking OK. He is also eating better, but noisy breathing and snot are back 12 days after the Draxin treatment...

Retreat? I saw some wonder drug data that recommended re treating after 9 days to minimize re pulls.

Bullet? I am starting to wonder if he is a chronic, and should not go back to his pen...

Last edited:
Did you use Dexamethasone (Dex)? Initially, we didn't know what was wrong with my steer with a swollen joint and my vet had me treat aggressive for joint ill (even though he was really too old for that) or possibly myco: Day 1, Nuflor & Dex. Day 2 & 3, Dex. Day 4, Nuflor & Dex. Day 5 & 6 Dex. Day 7 Draxxin. Turns out he had a snake bite on his inner knee but treatment was the same & he made a full recovery.

Good tip. I bought some today. How long do you usually it before seeing an effect?
With my steer, he was walking better and the swelling had gone down considerably within a couple days. I initially gave him Banamine Transdermal but my vet doesn't like to mix Banamine with Dex, so I stopped. And, as @faster horses pointed out, I did give him Pro Bios (the gel in the tube). Fortunately, my steer is super docile, so I didn't have to get him in the chute every day for the Dex. Dump some cubes in a bowl and 5cc IM, one 'n done. First pic is before I got him in, 2nd pic is the day after I let him (and mama) rejoin the herd.

Attachments

• IMG_20220629_071903792.jpg
    IMG_20220629_071903792.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220707_085306456_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220707_085306456_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Bull calf is a bit gaunt and very hungry. I think he "recovered" after 22 days in the sick pen. Had to retreat 2 weeks after Draxin. Then Tylan 200 with banimine got him walking, and dex got him running. Should have started dex sooner.

Bought more sucking calves this morning so we are back babysitting. Paid U$S 1.79 for 420# steers

Bull calf is a bit gaunt and very hungry. I think he "recovered" after 22 days in the sick pen. Had to retreat 2 weeks after Draxin. Then Tylan 200 with banimine got him walking, and dex got him running. Should have started dex sooner.

Bought more sucking calves this morning so we are back babysitting. Paid U$S 1.79 for 420# steers
Good news on all counts!

Latest posts