Post Pics of your Place!

Help Support CattleToday:

Our barn. we keep hay in stalls around back.
71108157.jpg

Chicken Girl feeding bread.
chic.jpg

A Heifer i bought.
11242011heifer002.jpg

Homemade sweep alley, It has a head gate attached to 6 foot gates on it now.
11242011heifer001.jpg

1972 kubota deisel
11242011heifer008.jpg

Greenup
1.jpg

My first ever, 510 lb bull calf, i bought at an auction, I named him T-BONE.
If you look hard there are some goats behind him near the fence,, glad they are gone.
Tbone.jpg

Caustic Burno":27uh63a9 said:
View off the front porch.
There is three other pastures on the other side of the creek with the woods along it.
006-1.jpg

Beautiful CB. Kinda destroys my minds picture of Texas this past July. I know Texas is a big place with lots of diverse lands, but didn't think anywhere in TX thrived this well in July 2012.

I also like the donkey. I was considering getting one since we have lots of coyotes. I was at the salebarn recently and a guy brought in a truckload of them. Couldn't sell them. Said he would take $15 ea as that was the cost of his tests to sell them. I have a cousin that had a donkey and got rid of him. He was kicking and biting the calves. He told me a donkey has to be raised around cattle to be friendly with cattle.

Jo,
I've only been at this place 11 years. It is now only 11 acres, but judging by the size of the barn the farm was much larger. The house was built over 160 years ago. The barn not as old, I understand that there was a fire and replaced.

The Barn is peg and beam all the stone was harvested on site and more than likely all the beams too. Its very big inside in the front with 3 bays and a feed room on the right as you walk in. There is a hatch and a chute to run feed to the center stall around back below. The smaller building to the left is a chicken coop. When you walk in the coop on the left is a room the depth of the coop and about 5 foot wide, we think maybe it was for corn,, its lined on the inside with welded type wire.

The road I live on is Gunpowder rd, and over 200 years ago the was a foundry on the gunpowder falls and a paper mill just a mile from the house, That is long gone.There is another house just across the street from this historic marker that was built the same time ours was, He has a smaller barn that's similar.

Here is the old paper mill Historic marker
hoffmanmillsmarker.jpg

There is also a old cemetery behind the marker where the Hoffman's are buried along with civil war solders.
hoffmancemetary.jpg

We are just 2 miles from the Pennsylvania border and we are very close to Lancaster PA. We do have Amish around here.

The area is called Gunpowder acres and Our place was one of the first here,, of course we have neighbors around us now but the Weaver farm directly across the road is Family owned, over 200 acres and the grows corn, soybeans and hay.

Jeanne, That hand pump is whats left of a underground fuel tank and its not operational.

Bill

Very interesting Bill. Thanks for sharing. You have a neat place, I would love to see more pics of that barn and it's interior.

I love that barn! I'm a big fan of old barns, add me to the list of folks hoping for more pics of it. The history very interesting for this west coast guy, 1775 - 30 years before Lewis and Clark passed through my part of the country. Thanks for posting and please keep the pics and history coming.

Alan

The hard part about old barns like Bill's is finding someone who knows enough about them to work on them and do it "right". That might be easier in the East but almost nobody has enough history here to know how they were built.

Andybob, it's hard to see those pics. Are those water buffalo? We have a guy out here that's trying to start a dairy with them for the milkfat but I've never seen them anywhere else.

It is surprising that out of the 1000+ photos I have on my computer, from cows, to mountains, to ugly corn, I have not one picture of the home place...well except for from google earth.

The hardest working tractor in the world
image-4_zps4c93a855.jpg

Some of the ladies
image-4_zps810ae7ff.jpg

My man cave. When I dug the first hole it was for a play house for my girls. I decided YOLO, and made it more for me.
image-4_zps654b5579.jpg

Nice pics Bigfoot. Mancave is very cool. Inquireing minds need to know what the inside looks like. :D

Latest posts