Post a random picture

Help Support CattleToday:

main-qimg-adbdc1e83370d8d7efe29b96571f7a63

Took a drive over The Battle Highway is a scenic route that spans across the Sierra Madre Mountains from Encampment to Baggs, along Wyoming's Highway 70. This 57-mile paved highway over the crest of the little-visited Sierra Madre Mountains of the Medicine Bow National Forest offers breathtaking views of the surrounding natural beauty. We decided to check out the fall colors; then made the loop back past the ranch to see my cows and then on home.

This is in Wyoming looking south into Colorado. To the right of the peak in the middle you can see Bears Ears.
20231009_130604.jpg

Nice little lake on the west side of the pass. Thomas Edison spent some time fishing in this area.
20231009_123720.jpg

This is in Wyoming looking south into Colorado. To the right of the peak in the middle you can see Bears Ears.
View attachment 35890
Not bears ears. They are 300ish miles south of Wyoming and there are three mountain ranges between, one with 8000 to 13000+ foot peaks and the others with 8500 foot and 13000 foot peaks... and Bears Ears are only 9000.

The curvature of the earth over 300 miles would make it impossible to see Bears Ears from Wyoming.

But it might be Kings peak and South Kings peak, both over 13K.

Not bears ears. They are 300ish miles south of Wyoming and there are three mountain ranges between, one with 8000 to 13000+ foot peaks and the others with 8500 foot and 13000 foot peaks... and Bears Ears are only 9000.

The curvature of the earth over 300 miles would make it impossible to see Bears Ears from Wyoming.

But it might be Kings peak and South Kings peak, both over 13K.
You must be thinking of another Bears Ears. Battle Mountain is just a few miles north of the Colorado Wyoming boarder. You can to see Bears Ears Peak from where I was. I grew up in Northwest Colorado, and have been up on Black Mountain lots, but I have never hiked up on Bears Ears; just didn't see the point in doing that. Bears Ears Peak it 10,577ft.

Unless you are thinking of Bears Ears National Monument that is in Utah; I agree there is no way one could see it from Wyoming.

You must be thinking of another Bears Ears. Battle Mountain is just a few miles north of the Colorado Wyoming boarder. You can to see Bears Ears Peak from where I was. I grew up in Northwest Colorado, and have been up on Black Mountain lots, but I have never hiked up on Bears Ears; just didn't see the point in doing that. Bears Ears Peak it 10,577ft.

Unless you are thinking of Bears Ears National Monument that is in Utah; I agree there is no way one could see it from Wyoming.
Thanks for the clarification. I had no idea there was a Bears Ears in Wyoming. Now I'm going to have to look for it next time I drive through. Can you see it driving on I-80, Evanston to Rawlins?

For that matter, the only Battle Mountain I knew of is in Nevada...lol

It's like the name Willow Creek. Everywhere has a Willow Creek. There are at least three Willow Creeks within 20 miles of my house.

Thanks for the clarification. I had no idea there was a Bears Ears in Wyoming. Now I'm going to have to look for it next time I drive through. Can you see it driving on I-80, Evanston to Rawlins?

For that matter, the only Battle Mountain I knew of is in Nevada...lol

It's like the name Willow Creek. Everywhere has a Willow Creek. There are at least three Willow Creeks within 20 miles of my house.
Ya it gets confusing when multiple places are named the same thing. Bears Ears is actually in Colorado. Where I took that picture I was only a few miles north of the Colorado Wyoming boarder. When driving the road from Encampment to Baggs you dip down into Colorado for probably less than a mile. I didn't see any wildlife in the mountains, only cows. I did see a big bull elk north to Rawlins out there on the desert, he was heading west; only a few hundred yards off the highway. I should have stopped and taken a picture, but didn't. This is the first time I ever seen any elk on the desert. No dad did pick up a couple of elk sheds on my uncles ranch, so the do go through there.

Latest posts