Post a random picture

Help Support CattleToday:

Screenshot_20220420-153550_Gallery.jpg
That's Clyde
He was a jackass
No longer here

Before anyone gets all bent outta shape. Proper nomenclature!

jackass is just a male donkey.
Before "donkey," there was ass — a word that comes from the Latin phrase "asinus," which refers to the animal. While ass is interchangeable with donkey, "jackass" refers specifically to a male donkey.

See?
This thread is fun AND informative!

View attachment 33427
That's Clyde
He was a jackass
No longer here

Before anyone gets all bent outta shape. Proper nomenclature!

jackass is just a male donkey.
Before "donkey," there was ass — a word that comes from the Latin phrase "asinus," which refers to the animal. While ass is interchangeable with donkey, "jackass" refers specifically to a male donkey.

See?
This thread is fun AND informative!
Did you raise any calves on him?

A couple pictures from a year or two ago. The first was taken on Easter Sunday morning. The second was some time in mid April.

Cows on the feed row taken from the road

P4032456.JPG

Horses at a branding. They are lucky, they get a break. There was about that many more in the pen working when this picture was taken. Branded, vaccinated, and castrated about 250-300 that day and it was dusty.
P4122470.JPG

KIMG0354[1025].jpg

I took my cane for a walk a few weeks ago and my path (I came off the curve in the road upper left) took me across the tracks to the business side of town. I decided just to walk down the tracks instead of beside them on the pavement. While walking along on the ties, thought to myself "Man, it's been soo many decades since I walked down a rail road track as a boy..."

(I was surprised at the number of discarded spikes, anti creepers and tie plates that were just strewn along the middle of the track. Dozens and tho this track looks in bad shape in this photo, it routinely carries many thousands of tons of military hardware as well as daily civilian (BNSF) loads)

Trivia...........in railroad lingo, a railroad cross tie is very often called a sleeper

I attended a funeral this morning. It was just a graveside service. They only played two songs. The first one was Pink Floyd's 'Shine on you Crazy Diamond'. We've all heard that one.

The last song was one I haven't heard. I don't get out much. Instead of a random photo, how 'bout a random song?

View attachment 33444

I took my cane for a walk a few weeks ago and my path (I came off the curve in the road upper left) took me across the tracks to the business side of town. I decided just to walk down the tracks instead of beside them on the pavement. While walking along on the ties, thought to myself "Man, it's been soo many decades since I walked down a rail road track as a boy..."

(I was surprised at the number of discarded spikes, anti creepers and tie plates that were just strewn along the middle of the track. Dozens and tho this track looks in bad shape in this photo, it routinely carries many thousands of tons of military hardware as well as daily civilian (BNSF) loads)

Trivia...........in railroad lingo, a railroad cross tie is very often called a sleeper
Sleeper is what we know them as GB. Ironbark are the best but all new tracks now are concrete sleepers though when maintaining older tracks wood sleepers are used to replace wood. What gauge are your tracks there? Ours vary in each state, 3'6'', 4'81/2", 5'3". They are trying to standardise to 4'81/2" for the interstate tracks. The narrow gauge in our state was put in to save on materials.

Ken

Last edited:
I'm gonna be standing outside when this comes through View attachment 33497
Just yellow, no red so it probably didn't amount to much in this heat.

I too, once rode an elephant, when I was around 12 years old. A promotional thing by a local grocery store. Me, my brother and about 3 young black boys. Caused quite a stir too. I didn't care, I just climbed on. (Remember, this would have been around 1962 when whites and blacks didn't associate much in deep East Texas)

Other than that, I only remember the prodigious beast stunk a bit and it had hair like a wire brush.

Latest posts