Post a random picture

Help Support CattleToday:

They would cut a notch in the tree so they could insert a board... so they could stand on it.

Bu now I have a question. How long did it take to make a cut like that with a two man hand saw like the one in the picture? I'm thinking a lot of time measured in blisters.

I think I once saw a video of that notch thing being done..
Dave? You have any experience in this?

I'll bet you this much, those old boys had a handshake you knew you got. Hard times make hard men and those guys were iron.
I went a few years ago to the State Trooper Acadamy and out of 120 recruits there I won the squeeze contest, an came in third in the shuttle/obstacle run. I bet them boys back in the day could do 200 lbs. and that is not easy.

0PhBIAx.jpg

Last edited:
I think I once saw a video of that notch thing being done..
Dave? You have any experience in this?
One that size would take a couple days. They chopped out the undercut with axes that had long handles (42 inches) and long narrow blades. Those axes were sharp enough to shave with. I have stood on a spring board more than a few times. I did it on big trees that were on steep ground. Tree too big to reach around far enough to get the cut on the down hill side. Standing on a board 10-15 feet in the air running a big saw will make you pay attention.

Did u have to try the glove over face trick?
No. We opened the side doors so she could get up, back out, and leave either way, and were getting ready to open the side gates when she decided to finally get up - with a little more encouragement. At least the breast bar kept her somewhat up. My coat & jeans were washed immediately when I got home!

I was going to ask what the red bar was. So, what is it's purpose? Other than keeping their chest up off the floor?
It's a brisket bar, so they won't choke or cut off their air supply if they go down in the chute. Higher in the front and curves down to the floor of the chute.

I was going to ask what the red bar was. So, what is it's purpose? Other than keeping their chest up off the floor?
Like @TCRanch said it's a brisket bar or some people call it an A.I. bar. It does exactly what you said. It keeps the cow from going down on their front end.
I use one when we freeze brand. We brand on the left ribs and it's a lot easier if the cattle stay standing.

Latest posts