Possible sick calve from sale barn, what to do?.?.?

Help Support CattleToday:

go-pokes-osu":1zhgt1wl said:

:lol: I keep a bottle of the cheap stuff around here for people I don't like, close friends that drink too much of my good stuff :lol: and for slow/sick calves.

Its most effective on fresh calves who get dropped on a cold night and the cow isn't as maternal as she should be. A shot of whiskey (usually a capful is all I give) will get their hearts beating a little harder and improve circulation. Its never failed to help get a slow calf up and sucking. It'll help with absorption of anti-biotic too.

Rod

Do you know what he died from? From what I have heard, you always take a risk with bottle calves. Sorry about your luck. Kaneranch

I don't know for sure what he died from, I can only assume that it was probably from his injuries. It just seems really strange to me because I stopped by the feed store and picked up a bag of calf starter and he actually started eating on it pretty good and I also had him out of the barn stall yesterday and he was very energetic running around like he didn't have a care in the world.. He wasn't taking a bottle very good but he was starting to get the hang of it. I tube fed him a total of I believe 3 time's for a total of 6qts. I wish I knew for sure what he died of. Also, when I found him dead he was on his side and it appeared that he kicked quite a bit because while laying down he had kicked all the straw away all the way down to the dirt, almost like a human would make a snow angel. I fear that he may of had a painful death because of the way it appears he was flailing around. I also found it strange that when I tried to look down his throat to make sure he didn't get a hold of something and swallow it that he still had his cud in his mouth.

Don't give up. I've had to tube a calf for as long as a week before my wife could get him to nurse a bottle. (She has a lot more patience than I do!)

clampitt":24i6c6jn said:
Give him about 5 aspirins in a drench bottle with replacement milk.Git a nurse bottle mix up aspirins in it. You will have to teach him to suck a bottle keep it up stick the calfs head between you legs his head forward hold him and stick the nipple in his mouth and work with him a while he'll get to where he will suck do it several times a day.The aspirins will take the soar out and make him feel good and wont hurt his kidneys.If he got stepped on hard eneough he may not make it.Put syrup or honey on the nipple make it really sweet.Give it a try.

Asprin is a blood thinner. I don't know if this is a good idea??

norriscathy":28n7rrhd said:
Don't give up. I've had to tube a calf for as long as a week before my wife could get him to nurse a bottle. (She has a lot more patience than I do!)
Scroll up a little bit.They may as well give up. The calf died yesterday.

Well folks, I know the horse is out of the barn so to speak, and the calf has died, for which I am sorry, oddly, I am a long distance from you, but knowing that hurts my soul anyway.

May I disagree with a few points made here? Or at least offer a less 'invasive; mode of feeding a 'dummy' calf this is a little bit closer to natural feeding, and much cheaper then having to buy a tube feeder that may never get used again?

Whisky and any alcohol is NOT a stimutlant, it acts as a depressent, so the thought that is will work a calf UP may not be correct, the miss'us, being a physician often has to council folks against drinking during very cold weather, especially when you desire to be active. Sorry, but thats the truth. Not to say that a bit of the devils brew cannot be good for alot of other purposes on the farm. it can be a fair pain reliever for man and beast when drank in commodities proportionatly to the injury if ya get my drift.

As far as feeding a calf that won't take a bottle, and all else fails with the nipples, try popping the nipple off, take a turkey baister (about $1.25) and put the milk toward the back of the calf's throat so it HAS to swallow! About 15 or so fills of the baister empties the bottle. But unless of course it is absolutly refusing to have any of that, then tube it. A calf goes through much less stress that way, and it gets to taste and enjoy, thus eventually crave the sweet milk on it's tongue, instead od a cold plastic or metal tube sliding down it's throat. JMHO.

Also for further reference, a calf, who has had a chance to suck mom for a while, knows what a natural nipple should feel like, rough etc. (evidenced by the lolling tongue)You may also try taking a older nipple and taking either a file or very course sand paper to roughen it so the calf can feel the texture with it's tongue.

Now, last but not least..............Milk Maid ...Love ya.......but I might have advised antibiotic treatment as a preventative for several reasons...............first being that a calf being ripped from it's mother is to say the very least traumatic, and thus opens it up to so many stress induced illnesses via bacteria gathered from the sale barn, and it's new surroundings.

Secondly, the cow calf pair was sold for some reason, perhaps due to illness of one or the other or both?

Thirdly, the calf being possibly injured internally, may develop infection internally as well if not treated. Fourthly, when a pressing injury to the skin, where upon it becomes bruised, it will often slough off in a matter of days or weeks, seperating the skin from the muscle in what resemble a tear, or cut. One needs to have an antibiotic in place to prevent infection of the site.
Also, while not advising leisure use of antibiotics for any reason, I feel that in a case were so many variables and an injury such as this has occured , it is called for as prophalactic treatment, although, it would not in fact cure traumatic injuries in itself, given a chance to heal same, can help prevent opportunistic bacterial invaders when the poor little thing is at it's lowest.

Humans , when being treated for traumatic injuries are immediately put onto a very potent regime of such antibiotics for the very same reasons.

Again, I am very sorry for your loss, perhaps next time will turn out much better. Good Luck! :cboy:

Whisky and any alcohol is NOT a stimutlant, it acts as a depressent, so the thought that is will work a calf UP may not be correct, the miss'us, being a physician often has to council folks against drinking during very cold weather, especially when you desire to be active. Sorry, but thats the truth. Not to say that a bit of the devils brew cannot be good for alot of other purposes on the farm. it can be a fair pain reliever for man and beast when drank in commodities proportionatly to the injury if ya get my drift.

I agree, alcohol is not a stimulant. But it works to increase appetite. That's the reason for feeding it to the Wagyu's for Kobe beef.

MikeC":2l8hi99o said:
I agree, alcohol is not a stimulant. But it works to increase appetite. That's the reason for feeding it to the Wagyu's for Kobe beef.

All medical science aside, we've (me, parents, grand parents, great grand parents) used a small shot of whiskey around this place since the late 1800s, and its _never_ failed to get a calf moving. If it doesn't give a temporary increase in heart rate, why is it you generally feel flushed after a shot of whiskey? Perhaps its not the alcohol itself, but the initial shock of it entering the system, but either way, it will give a boost. As was said, its not a stimulant, but it has the same side effects as a stimulant, at least for a very short term.

Rod

Whiskey gives a burn while going down and doesn't taste all that pleasant either - especially the cheap stuff. I think that is what get those calves going, it wakes them up. There are two ways to get someone out of bed - give them something to look forward too or make it too uncomfortable to lie there. Whiskey makes it too uncomfortable to lie there. :p

We've used it before too - guess it's a Canadian thing eh? ;-)

Medic24":3m0i4r4s said:
As far as feeding a calf that won't take a bottle, and all else fails with the nipples, try popping the nipple off, take a turkey baister (about $1.25) and put the milk toward the back of the calf's throat so it HAS to swallow! About 15 or so fills of the baister empties the bottle. But unless of course it is absolutly refusing to have any of that, then tube it. A calf goes through much less stress that way, and it gets to taste and enjoy, thus eventually crave the sweet milk on it's tongue, instead od a cold plastic or metal tube sliding down it's throat. JMHO.

:cboy:

Thanks for this tip Medic. I have never tried a turkey baster before but if it keeps one calf from being tubed it will sure be worth it!

Victoria":1hyd1rjk said:
give them something to look forward too or make it too uncomfortable to lie there. Whiskey makes it too uncomfortable to lie there.

A lot of beer would have the same affect

dun

Using whiskey is not something I've ever heard of or tried before. I'm not saying it doesn't work, nor condeming in any way, but I do have one question. I've drank straight whiskey before and it has a tendancy to take one's breath away, cause coughing and sputtering, and involuntary intake of breath. Keeping this in mind, how do you ensure it gets in the stomach and not in the calf's lungs? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I think I'm missing something. Thanks for the clarification.

I've never seen a calf take an involuntary breath when given a shot of whiskey. Bear in mind here that I'm not talking about a 2 ounce shot either, I'm talking about a capful, fired in toward the back of the mouth. I don't hold the mouth shut, so if it does "go down the wrong tube", the calf can spit it out and use any natural defense he has against getting fluid in the lungs.

Rod

Ok now I am just being silly, but the thought did cross my mind.........if it stimulates the appitite, how about a cup full to get them really craving feeding?

Having grown up in a rather conservative household, and never tasting the wicked brew until adult hood, I can certainly agree with msscamps evaulation of said whisky...... if nothing else the calf will not feel it's troubles so terribly after a swig or two.

George Dickle? and Southern comfort seems to be the libation of choise in the area..............ya thing those would be good choices? ;-) :cboy:

We don't use much either. Msscamp - that sputtering and coughing feeling can be a good thing to introduce to a cold calf who has given up. Gives them a shock.

Medic24 - I think for stimulating the appetite a fine wine would be better. I wonder if red or white is more appropriate to serve with colostrum? ;-)

and Southern comfort seems to be the libation of choise in the area..............ya thing those would be good choices? ;-) :cboy:

Southern Comfort is fine for women, kids, and calves - - but no carmel flavoring for me.

I do not think wine would get the job done. Flavored brandy or Irish Creme would be the other options. I think that calves would be really well on Irish Creme!

Latest posts