January sale

Help Support CattleToday:

tcolvin

Reaction score
I have three calves about 8-9 months old that I am taking to the sale in January 2024. I was in pasture this evening putting out minerals and looking over my calves for market. I had notice this before about a month ago but thought maybe it would change before i sold her, her hair is longer than the others. She looks a little shaggy and not slicked off like my others are. Her mom is a smaller Black Baldy and bull is full blood angus. My thoughts are what or how will the longer hair affect the sale price? She is solid black within white spots on her face, not fully white. I'll try to attach a picture of her when she was only about maybe 4 months old. That's her mom in front in this picture. I don't have a picture of the calf yet. I'll try to take one and post tomorrow. Thanks

1704078338479.jpeg

I should wait for the picture but will say it doesn't bother the price as much in the winter as it would in the summer.
Thanks, I'll get the pic in the morning. Hopefully my vet will be back in office on Tuesday and I can get info on my minerals for this area. Do you think cobalt blocks would be ok for the cows? I have 2-3 left over from my goats I had.

Thanks, I'll get the pic in the morning. Hopefully my vet will be back in office on Tuesday and I can get info on my minerals for this area. Do you think cobalt blocks would be ok for the cows? I have 2-3 left over from my goats I had.
Picture of shaggy calf
I should wait for the picture but will say it doesn't bother the price as much in the winter as it would in the summer.
picture of shaggy calf14703FBE-6598-40E9-961B-384ECDBA2D16.jpeg

Picture of shaggy calf
picture of shaggy calf
I have three calves about 8-9 months old that I am taking to the sale in January 2024. I was in pasture this evening putting out minerals and looking over my calves for market. I had notice this before about a month ago but thought maybe it would change before i sold her, her hair is longer than the others. She looks a little shaggy and not slicked off like my others are. Her mom is a smaller Black Baldy and bull is full blood angus. My thoughts are what or how will the longer hair affect the sale price? She is solid black within white spots on her face, not fully white. I'll try to attach a picture of her when she was only about maybe 4 months old. That's her mom in front in this picture. I don't have a picture of the calf yet. I'll try to take one and post tomorrow. Thanks

View attachment 38914
Top pic is mother, bottom pic is shaggy calf (black one)
557D7FA5-3A08-456B-9B1A-BBB046DF2E62.jpeg

I thought all healthy cows had a thick coat in the winter....
Mine don't slick off until late spring. Its coldest around here in late February, they are going to need it.
Same here. Calf just looks like it has a nice winter coat. I'd be worried if I saw a slick, older calf at the sale this time of year.

Same here. Calf just looks like it has a nice winter coat. I'd be worried if I saw a slick, older calf at the sale this time of year.
Thanks, I just worry about these reports where good looking calves should be bringing 1.75-2.00+ but getting .70-.85 per lb. I just hadn't really notice the extra long hair on this one but what you say makes sense.