Possible back injury?

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave Clarkson

Reaction score
I was making the rounds the other day and notice the bull working a three year old Heifer. She went down on both front knees then got up and moved around fine.

Two days later I see her laying along the fence line in the evening. Then she was there the next day. I got her up and ran took her to the catch pen. She was seeking water to lay down in on the way so I figured it was a fever along with something like IBR. I gave her a few days of antibiotics and Pain Meds. She is still confined but she is in some obvious pain. I looked at her today and noticed that she isnt walking just right and remembered the incident a few days before. She is drinking and eating just fine just not moving well and in pain. There is a dip just in front of her tail. I dont think she would be walking if it were a "broken back" but maybe out of place and possibly a small fracture? I am attaching two pics. One is of her full sister and one of her. You can see the dip in her pic. She does seem to be feeling a little better.

My question is can a cows back go out like humans and eventually go back into place? I may not have noticed it at first because the anti inflammatory had not worked to take swelling down. She was vaccinated 30 days ago so she still has 30 for withdrawal. It would be nice if she was just sick or a minor back injury.......but I dont know. She lays a lot but she can get up easily and move around.

Thanks for any information.

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 16
Can she swing her tail or raise it? It's not uncommon for cattle to break their tailheads. They're painful for a few days but not life threatening. The bigger problem is that the tail is usually paralyzed and they often pool urine in the vagina, preventing them from breeding back.

Can she swing her tail or raise it? It's not uncommon for cattle to break their tailheads. They're painful for a few days but not life threatening. The bigger problem is that the tail is usually paralyzed and they often pool urine in the vagina, preventing them from breeding back.
Thanks for that info! My cousin was looking at her today and said "it doesn't look like she can raise her tail when she urinates". I think you may very well be right! The breed back thing may not be good buy I can keep the calf on her through the summer.

"Almost Heaven, West Virginia" If I weren't so old I would plant a tree there.

I'd have a vet look at her. Maybe she is still salvageable.
We had one a couple years ago with a broken back from breeding. Suppose it's a once in a lifetime, for me anyway. Hope you can get her back to normal.

Had that happen with a beautiful first calf heifer. Plus, her tail was a mess since she couldn't raise it.