Poll: Economic forecast for America by CT Members

Help Support CattleToday:

What is your economic forecast prediction for America?

• We have recovered and are full steam ahead

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • We are starting to see recovery

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • We will begin recovery in 2010

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • We will begin recovery in 2011

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • We will begin recovery in 2012

• We are still in a recession

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • We are starting into a depression

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • I'm circling the wagons / Battening down the hatches

Votes: 26 48.1%
  • None of the above

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jogeephus":3cyjxxvm said:
I didn't vote cause I honestly don't know. I'm coasting right now due to past momentum and I hope to put it in gear by next year but if not I guess I'll be circling a wagon if I have one to circle.
When you figure it out let me know how to circle one wagon. I suppose it would look like it did in Blazing Saddles

Only one account here frankie - and we are staying tight - circle the wagons and keep the little cash we have on hand - in our hands.

I believe it will get worse before it gets better.

I also believe if the various governments in the western world had cut cheques to the largest employers in the western world - small business - it would have kept the money in the country it was issued in - and it would have circulated.

Lots of the big boys took that money and ran away with it.

We will definitely pull in the horns for the next couple of years - debt reduction and saving are the ONLY two goals we have.

US buck is falling and the Euro is moving - it is going to make some big changes in the world we know today if the US cannot pull up their socks - and I am worried for them.

There are a couple of major economies out there that have the US by the short and curlies - and one day they will pull the trigger

The recession / depression will only be over when people have money to spend - NOT when the analysts say it is over.

Bez+

1982vett":5hneooaz said:
HS Battening down the hatches isn't nessecarly bearish. I just demonstrates the need and wisdom to hold in reserve the assets needed to fight another day under better circumstanses.

Jogee, welcome to camp. Did you bring Wilbur? :p

You betcha. I see Wilbur as being a saviour in the future. The economy may go down the tubes but we can at least eat well. Once I get a few things ironed out I'll be posting some depression era delicacies compliments of Wilbur.

Many scary things about that article and have nothing to do with Russia inspecting nuke sites.

A broken elbow? ? ? ? Boy, I need to get out more often.

1982vett":uigwx895 said:
Many scary things about that article and have nothing to do with Russia inspecting nuke sites.

A broken elbow? ? ? ? Boy, I need to get out more often.

I guess I could be wrong in my thinking......all one has to do is look at the common denominator and wonder if we as a country are really screwing up or not.

DOW ended up 144.80 - closing at 10,015.86 today.....

At least something positive today.....Much of the speed of the recovery will count on how quickly confidence returns.....

It's official: Dow 10,000
Blue-chip average reaches key milestone following better-than-expected results from JPMorgan and Intel.

Last Updated: October 14, 2009: 1:32 PM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Stocks rallied Wednesday afternoon, with the Dow industrials briefly touching 10,000 for the first time in over a year, following better-than-expected quarterly profit reports from Intel and JPMorgan Chase.

The Dow Jones industrial average (INDU)rose as high as 10,001.58 with about 2-1/2 hours left in the session. It then stepped back slightly, to a gain of 128 points, or 1.3%, to 9,997.

The last time the Dow crossed 10,000 during a trading session was Oct. 7, 2008, when it briefly touched 10,124.03.

The S&P 500 (SPX) index rose 15 points, or 1.4%, and the Nasdaq composite (COMP) added 28 points, or 1.3%.

The advance was broad-based, with 25 of 30 Dow stocks rising. JPMorgan Chase (JPM, Fortune 500), Caterpillar (CAT, Fortune 500), Chevron (CVX, Fortune 500), IBM (IBM, Fortune 500), 3M (MMM, Fortune 500), United Technologies (UTX, Fortune 500) and Exxon Mobil (XOM, Fortune 500) were the biggest contributors to the Dow's gains.

"Today's market action is all about Intel and JPMorgan and just earnings in general," said Tom Schrader, managing director at Stifel Nicolaus.

He said that the weak retail sales report, also released Wednesday morning, indicates that the economic recovery is not going to be smooth-sailing. But regardless, "people are looking forward."

Oldtimer":hmok9qwk said:
DOW ended up 144.80 - closing at 10,015.86 today.....

At least something positive today.....Much of the speed of the recovery will count on how quickly confidence returns.....

It's official: Dow 10,000
Blue-chip average reaches key milestone following better-than-expected results from JPMorgan and Intel.

Last Updated: October 14, 2009: 1:32 PM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Stocks rallied Wednesday afternoon, with the Dow industrials briefly touching 10,000 for the first time in over a year, following better-than-expected quarterly profit reports from Intel and JPMorgan Chase.

The Dow Jones industrial average (INDU)rose as high as 10,001.58 with about 2-1/2 hours left in the session. It then stepped back slightly, to a gain of 128 points, or 1.3%, to 9,997.

The last time the Dow crossed 10,000 during a trading session was Oct. 7, 2008, when it briefly touched 10,124.03.

The S&P 500 (SPX) index rose 15 points, or 1.4%, and the Nasdaq composite (COMP) added 28 points, or 1.3%.

The advance was broad-based, with 25 of 30 Dow stocks rising. JPMorgan Chase (JPM, Fortune 500), Caterpillar (CAT, Fortune 500), Chevron (CVX, Fortune 500), IBM (IBM, Fortune 500), 3M (MMM, Fortune 500), United Technologies (UTX, Fortune 500) and Exxon Mobil (XOM, Fortune 500) were the biggest contributors to the Dow's gains.

"Today's market action is all about Intel and JPMorgan and just earnings in general," said Tom Schrader, managing director at Stifel Nicolaus.

He said that the weak retail sales report, also released Wednesday morning, indicates that the economic recovery is not going to be smooth-sailing. But regardless, "people are looking forward."
Yep, catchy headlines. Just hope it doesn't make the headlines tomorrow with likes of a 400 point loss.

1982vett":396ttiu0 said:
Yep, catchy headlines. Just hope it doesn't make the headlines tomorrow with likes of a 400 point loss.

Oh I'm sure there are still going to be some pretty big correction periods take place- but I was reading the other day that even some of the "average" Joe Blow investors are getting back their confidence-and sticking back their money- now that tight reins are being put on the Wall Street boys by the regulatory agencies- and that both Congress and all the governments around the world are working on closing some of the loopholes that allowed this to happen....

Oldtimer":1rrteekt said:
1982vett":1rrteekt said:

Oh I'm sure there are still going to be some pretty big correction periods take place- but I was reading the other day that even some of the "average" Joe Blow investors are getting back their confidence-and sticking back their money- now that tight reins are being put on the Wall Street boys by the regulatory agencies- and that both Congress and all the governments around the world are working on closing some of the loopholes that allowed this to happen....

What investors are you talking to? What rhetoric are you reading?

One account Frankie, Once more in case you missed it AGAIN, One account.

Double digit inflation is what they are after. The elderly had best button down the hatches. Those of you who are in debt past your eyeballs will rejoice.

backhoeboogie":32x9lvmi said:
Those of you who are in debt past your eyeballs will rejoice.
So me having to hock everything I own to stay afloat will turn out to be beneficial.
:banana: :banana:

novatech":2g8luzpq said:
backhoeboogie":2g8luzpq said:
Those of you who are in debt past your eyeballs will rejoice.
So me having to hock everything I own to stay afloat will turn out to be beneficial.
:banana: :banana:

As bad as I hate to say it, if things are that bad, them perhaps it would be beneficial. Look for the US dollar to devalue by at least 50% in the next few years.

If you're in that deep already, it just might be a good investment.

Be nice, I hate to make comments like that........

grannysoo":ca5uz6gi said:
Be nice, I hate to make comments like that........

It is just a matter of "the truth hurts".

Most investors are buying land. Land is cheap. Lots of forclosures out there.

Backhoe, do you mean "real estate" as opposed to "land"?
I see lots of houses and small parcels for sale, either foreclosed or voluntary, but I don't see a lot of ag land for sale. And while prices are off from their peaks of '08, they are still bankable.
My county still has at least two outfits which will buy tillable land in the 40 acres and up range.
Real estate is cheap, relative to a couple yrs ago. Land is still pretty strong.
Your local market could be way different than mine.

john250":3qs9hkgh said:
Backhoe, do you mean "real estate" as opposed to "land"?
I see lots of houses and small parcels for sale, either foreclosed or voluntary, but I don't see a lot of ag land for sale. And while prices are off from their peaks of '08, they are still bankable.
My county still has at least two outfits which will buy tillable land in the 40 acres and up range.
Real estate is cheap, relative to a couple yrs ago. Land is still pretty strong.
Your local market could be way different than mine.

Land John, land. Stay as far as possible away from real estate at this time. The fat lady hasn't even started warming up yet for real estate.....

Most of the premium farm land has already been ruined by housing developments. Things such as lesser land on highway frontage that was tied up on speculations is starting to flow. It is suitable for 5 and 10 acre "ranchettes" for the city folks to get out on. The accessibliby makes it commercially desireable if you can hold it for the long term. People are holding minerals and dumping the land cheap, at least in some cases. Financially embarassed people offering low profile deals are some of the best. Occasionally you face the opportunity of flipping it to neighboring land owners who start to panic when you drop the backhoe or cat there and start clearing brush.

Can't find any land bargains around me anywhere. Having more luck lately buying minerals than land. Some of the folks hoping to get rich quick on gas are bailing out now after selling land and holding minerals. Have been able to buy a couple of well secured real estate notes but finding good ones is becoming harder and harder as well.

[/quote]
Land John, land. Stay as far as possible away from real estate at this time. The fat lady hasn't even started warming up yet for real estate.....[/quote]

what happens when they take away the ag exemption and property taxes are higher than what your making with cattle ?

Latest posts