Please help.

Help Support CattleToday:

poiu

Reaction score
I have a cow that showed a lump that looked like mastitis on one side of a quarter. It has burst and is now healing.

Will this part of the utter stop giving milk?

In all likelihood, yes. It sounds like your cow developed an abcess as a result of the mastitis and that abcess has now burst, drained, and is trying to heal. You will want to keep a very close eye on it, though, and if it starts building up again call your vet and get some antibiotics to clear it up. The good news is that, unless this cow was a poor milker to begin with, losing one quarter shouldn't affect her ability to raise a good calf.

msscamp":1nkx5x21 said:
In all likelihood, yes. It sounds like your cow developed an abcess as a result of the mastitis and that abcess has now burst, drained, and is trying to heal. You will want to keep a very close eye on it, though, and if it starts building up again call your vet and get some antibiotics to clear it up. The good news is that, unless this cow was a poor milker to begin with, losing one quarter shouldn't affect her ability to raise a good calf.
I agree

one of my best mamma's lost one of her quarters and she does a fine job on her calves, but she has exceptional milk production. I wouldn't sell her until you see how she does.

Thank you for the help. The problem is she was already running on 3 tits now! With this tit bursting I am worried. She is bred to a great bull and I wounder if it would be worth it to have the calf and if things do not work out feed it with a bottle. What do you think?

I don't know, you mean she is down to 2 teats now? Seems to me she has problems, time to take her to town.

poiu":3kpxscoo said:
Thank you for the help. The problem is she was already running on 3 tits now! With this tit bursting I am worried. She is bred to a great bull and I wounder if it would be worth it to have the calf and if things do not work out feed it with a bottle. What do you think?

I think 2 tits puts her at a bit of a disadvantage, but not so much that it can't be overcome with a little ingenuity, persistance, and patience - nothing ventured, nothing gained. Worst case scenario - you have a bottle calf, but she would have to be a really poor milker for that to happen. A little hay and creep feed put out for both once the calf has hit a week or so old will do wonders, and the calf will learn to eat it from his mother. Once he knows what it is, start putting it somewhere that his mother can't get to it, but the calf can. Calves are curious creatures - it might take him a little time - but he'll check it out, find the grain, and start eating. If she is a good milker, she can raise a calf on 2 quarters. We have had up to 4 foster calves on good milkers (and I'm talking beef breed, not dairy) before and, with a little feed to supplement, they did just fine. I wish you the best! :)

Latest posts