Chute help brand cattle sweep?

Help Support CattleToday:

pdubdo

Reaction score
These guys seem to have a great price for a 90 deg sweep. I just work 5-10 cows/calves so trying not to drop $4K, but I also don't want to waste my money. Anyone use anything from this brand?

We have a Behlen. It's over twenty years old, sets out side. It's held up well. The new vet clinic in the area has an Arrow. I didn't really care for Arrow's alley set up, but I like that tub.

I don't think there is a huge difference in brands of sweep tubs. The secret to making any of them work is not to over crowd them. Mine is a 135 degree sweep. It works best with no more than 3 cows.

One day as I was pulling into D & B Supply in Baker City there was a Powder River Sweep set up in the parking lot with a large sign hung on it that read Buy Two Get One Free. I thought who needs 2 sweeps let alone that free one. A second look at the sign and I realized it was for Wrangler jeans.

Looks like most of their products are geared toward roping calves and rodeo steers.
That sweep gate looks a little light compared to the one I have. Those gates can take a beating. Pretty sure my Prefiert sweep gate is 2" od tubing and the parts that sits on the ground is 2 3/8 od.
If you have mostly calves and docile yearlings and well mannered mommas it will probably work tho.
chutehelp.jpg

Roping strs yes. Two or three 1,400lb momma cows that would rather crowd the corner than g go down the alley; NO WAY.

A tub with a 90 degree alley makes a square corner that cows can't see well, especially when squeezed tight with the gate. I have a WW tub and alley system that has been rearranged as a 180 degree. Cows walk in and catch themselves. It seems with all the different systems I have used that the magic number of cows in the tub is 4.

With 5-10 head you might consider if you actually need a sweep... most are pretty expensive. I have places with sweeps and bud boxes and most the cattle learn the operation and go right thru it with out even having to move gates. They will beat me thru it and be sitting in the alley waiting on me of I lolly gag.

If I was bringing in a bunch of new cattle all the time or calves or cattle that dont get worked much... they are great. With a few head that are easy going it can be a pretty pricey addition.

With 5-10 head you might consider if you actually need a sweep... most are pretty expensive. I have places with sweeps and bud boxes and most the cattle learn the operation and go right thru it with out even having to move gates. They will beat me thru it and be sitting in the alley waiting on me of I lolly gag.

If I was bringing in a bunch of new cattle all the time or calves or cattle that dont get worked much... they are great. With a few head that are easy going it can be a pretty pricey addition.
Unfortunately, they are not their best in the, "workability" category. I'm only with them 1-2 times a week so I spend at least 1-2 hours with them just to keep them used to me being close. They are docile, come to feed and can be hand-fed...sometimes. But they are not acclimated to being worked and don't know the drill. I think since this is only a very part-time, 1-man operation, this is the price I pay to work them safely

Unfortunately, they are not their best in the, "workability" category. I'm only with them 1-2 times a week so I spend at least 1-2 hours with them just to keep them used to me being close. They are docile, come to feed and can be hand-fed...sometimes. But they are not acclimated to being worked and don't know the drill. I think since this is only a very part-time, 1-man operation, this is the price I pay to work them safely
Smart. You wont regret it. Good facilities and a positive experience can help settle them in.

I bought 90 degree sweep from Allen gate and panel for $800-$900 last fall. They're located in south Arkansas but have distributors in other areas. I designed mine a little different than the way it was intended, if I get a chance I'll take some pictures or a video.

Greybeard, hold on to your hat. Caldwell now has a Whataburger! Big time has arrived...
I've been back to Caldwell several times since the 80s. Went to the fair & rodeo around 2016 and the Kolache Festival around the same time.

But when I lived just West of Caldwell, the only place to eat after 8-9pm was Dairy Queen and those awful sandwiches from the utotem that used to be at intersection of 36 and 21. They built a cloverleaf at that intersection now and the only thing still there that I remember is Surrey Inn and the old B&C liquor store.
The Mexican place just South of that junction was pretty good but crowded as heck the day we were there.

The did have a new motel just West of town and a cafe but it died as quick as the 1st chalk boom did.

I bought 90 degree sweep from Allen gate and panel for $800-$900 last fall. They're located in south Arkansas but have distributors in other areas. I designed mine a little different than the way it was intended, if I get a chance I'll take some pictures or a video.
Yours might be like ours. Ours works off an L shape. It as a 50x10 alley that feeds it with a couple gates. We use the 90 sweep to turn them up the chute in the last turn if they dont want to go.

Most of the cattle, when you send them down the alley, they head right to the end and hang a left up the chute.

55EEEBB8-3B53-47BF-B0B8-0440D49CCE30.jpeg
This is a drawing of my set up, it eliminates the corner for them to avoid the chute. As the sweep gate comes around it closes and becomes part of the chute. You can also open the other side to load into trailer.

I am so unsophisticated! I have an OK Corral portable corral/chute that is perfectly fine for smaller groups and a friend of mine brings over his big hydraulic portable corral for when we work the entire herd. There is no sweep or tub. Simply apply pressure, slowly, to the cattle and they will follow the outline of the corral into the holding pen, which is separated from & into the alley by another gate. Close the gate. Filter them along the alley. Separate them lined up in the alley with bars. Run 'em through. When working small calves, cram 3 or 4 of them in the chute at a time & open the side door after administering shots.

Safety first - absolutely. But even with cattle that are a little on the wild side or not accustomed to being worked, read their signals and work with them. Don't apply pressure in their blind spot. Go slow and you'll actually save time.

Latest posts