"Pig Weed"

Help Support CattleToday:

critterair2

Reaction score
Anybody have any problems with this stuff? What did you use to kill it, besides pulling it up and burning it? Thanks

Pig Weed: The pasture nightmare!

Pull up or glyphosphate before seed heads form. Burn it. Next to Zucchini it is probably the world's fastest growing weed...next to johnsongrass.

Can always hope for another Noah's Ark Flood I suppose...lol.

We have been spot spraying with grazon p+d for years and are finally getting a handle on it. If you have a lot, and I know many do, then general spray like Dun says is far easier, but we didn't have that much to start with.

BIlly

MrBilly":og6jnn2d said:
We have been spot spraying with grazon p+d for years and are finally getting a handle on it. If you have a lot, and I know many do, then general spray like Dun says is far easier, but we didn't have that much to start with.

BIlly

We had a 27 acre field of the wonders stuff, nothing else, just pigweed. I was amazed after sprying with grazon, actual grass that had been hidden showed up.

This is a picture of the field 2 months after spraying the pigweed with grazon pd
mule.jpg

Pigweed is really an easy plant kill if you spray it when it's young before seeding out.

We just use 2-4, D and try to hit it when it's couple of inches tall.

Have used Treflan around the hay feeding areas with good results.

MikeC":20ftgtu3 said:
Pigweed is really an easy plant kill if you spray it when it's young before seeding out.

We just use 2-4, D and try to hit it when it's couple of inches tall.

Have used Treflan around the hay feeding areas with good results.

Mike is telling you right but you got to be quick. That stuff puts on seed about 6 inches tall.

It's easy to kill but there is usually such a huge seed bank left that it comes back over and over. hat's why I used Grazon, was tired of respraying every couple of months.

Jogeephus":hyhsz2mi said:
Does anyone know where pigweed does not grow? Just seems like everyone has it.

The only thing I know for sure is that it requires some dirt for the roots. Dirt in the crack of sidewalk is plenty adequate.

dun":1qup0h26 said:
Jogeephus":1qup0h26 said:

The only thing I know for sure is that it requires some dirt for the roots. Dirt in the crack of sidewalk is plenty adequate.

I agree with that. Pigweed and vassey grass are the two things I could definitely live without.

being relatively new to having to worry about graze, and improving a pasture, what does pig weed look like?

any links to information about it and other weeds?

Texican":2v4zvok1 said:
being relatively new to having to worry about graze, and improving a pasture, what does pig weed look like?

Go to google, type in pigweed, go to search click. then click on images. Worked for me. Or you could come to my place and look in the cattle pens. :)

As far as vassey grass I could not google anything up.

Texican":3egbmls1 said:

There are a couple of types of pigwwed, prostrate pigweed, spiny pigweed, etc. Most of them aren't much of a problem. Spiny pigweed is.
http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/amasp.htm

Jogeephus":1r1bvjam said:

Both northern Minnesota and the sub arctic tundra seem to be pig weed free. You just need to buy in cattle than can browse stunted trees or willow brush.

Stocker Steve":1fxaqemg said:
Jogeephus":1fxaqemg said:

Both northern Minnesota and the sub arctic tundra seem to be pig weed free. You just need to buy in cattle than can browse stunted trees or willow brush.

Goats comes to mind. :nod:

There is a guy north of Silver Bay, MN that free ranges Highlanders. Who says the old days are gone!

He says his Highlanders will come up into the yard if the timber wolves get really aggressive. I don't think a goat would stand a chance against a 100 to 150 pound wolf.

This was a shock.
Believe it or not, there is pigweed (careless weed) seed commercially available and it may be the best forage option for some production systems. Pigweed establishes easily, is highly digestible, palatable to all ruminants, including deer, and will self-reseed if not over-grazed. Drawbacks include nitrate poisoning if stressed (Twain's toxicity page), short life cycle and stigma associated with being considered a weed in row crops.

Quote from; http://stephenville.tamu.edu/~jmuir/san ... ssdry.html

Hi, I've been researching this a little trying to identify what was growing so tall in a field behind my house. I found out that pigweed can be found "throughout North America, from Canada to Mexico, and from the Atlantic to the Pacific coasts. It is also found throughout much of the rest of the world, including Europe, South America, Eurasia, and Africa. It is a native of tropical America." Wow, what a pesky weed!

Here in Austin we had a very unusual long period of rain during the summer after a little bit of a drought and the pigweed behind my house grew up to 14' tall! Now it's brown and all dried out so the kids and I decided to use some to make a teepee using the stripped stalks and a few big sheets. If anyone's interested in trying it out, here's a couple links to get you going. -Deona :pretty:

http://www.manataka.org/page186.html
http://www.manataka.org/page191.html#TE ... _VERSION_2 (sm version)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=983JxTJM ... re=related

When life gives you lemons...

Latest posts