"Pig Weed"

Help Support CattleToday:

I spent a lot of time removing that weed from tobacco, with a hoe. Gooseneck hoe. There wasn't any herbicide labeled for tobacco that did a consistently good job.
That stem is like steel, if they should get over 8". If the ground is loose, you can pull them easier than cutting them.
If they get away from your hoe, you get to deal with them cutting the crop. Nothing like sticking that fuzzy seedhead in your face while you bend over to ax the tobacco plant. Kinda like kissing a bearded girl. Without the fun of actually kissing.
If you can live without legumes in your pasture, a couple years of 2,4-D will take them out. Get them small. Possibly 2 applications, if your problem is severe.

Grazon is ok with a higher residual but the cost of that is too much I think. Pigweed is a sign of a poorly managed pasture where nutrient deficiencies abound---- For the frugal guys/gals use 2-4-d Amine at 1 qt per acre in 20 gallons of water per acre.

I have sprayed 2-4-d Amine as a broadcast application with cows in the pasture- with no problems--- In a perfect world I would rather let the dew dry the net day before turning them on it

Simangus

Latest posts