Weed Wiper

Help Support CattleToday:

Does the tank have an electric pump on it?
Yes. Part of the reason it took so long to assemble. Fortunately, one of our neighbors used to manage a Co-Op and helps his son in law at their heating/plumbing business. Subsequently, the weed wiper is properly assembled and my marriage is still intact!

Yes. Part of the reason it took so long to assemble. Fortunately, one of our neighbors used to manage a Co-Op and helps his son in law at their heating/plumbing business. Subsequently, the weed wiper is properly assembled and my marriage is still intact!
As long as he is having fun TC.

Ken

Nice workshop. I can see its insulated correctly.
Thanks! Built that one after the first tornado took out the original shed, built in the 30's. Less than a year later, 2nd tornado did some major damage and essentially had to rebuild half of it. BTW, that's a utility pole jetted through the side - and we still had electricity. Zap!!

Attachments

• 153.JPG
    153.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • PA060002.JPG
    PA060002.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • PA060007.JPG
    PA060007.JPG
    778.5 KB · Views: 11
It's good to hear of Mr TC being out and about with some projects on TC. From your reports he had a pretty bad run of injuries and health problems.

Ken
A positive attitude is everything! I'm amazed how well the compound fracture is healing and he's segued from occupational therapy to physical therapy, slowly building up strength. CLL is still "watchful waiting" (I hate that phrase).

He finally finished. Probably took a lot longer than those of you with experience because of the learning curve and after all he's been through the past few years, being in the tractor for more than 3 hours is really hard on him.

Here are some pros/cons/observations:

This is really designed for a bucket with either teeth or a lip. He wasn't out there more than 30 minutes when it fell off, even though it was screwed in as tight as we could get it. Ended up drilling some indents in the bucket and that was enough to keep it secure.

The tank was sliding around and subsequently pulling out the wires. Rigging with ratchet straps solved that problem. Make darn sure the drain on the tank is screwed in tight!!! Nothing like seeing $$$$ of chemicals leaking out and pooling in the bucket. Also, it's hard to tell when the tank is empty.

The seeds are a PITA and you have to spend quality time cleaning them off the sponges, even with a sprayer nozzle on the hose.

The johnsongrass is so high it's hard to make consistent rows; he went over some areas multiple times.

Fawns! He's pretty sure he didn't run over any but flushed out quite a few that were bedded down.

You know how you get to a certain age and automatically turn the radio down when you're trying to follow directions? Yeah, he turned it off. I'm not sure that helped.

We have a neighbor with adjoining property and he's on our back 80 more than we are, mowing, making trails, putting up gates, keeping himself busy (entertained?). He can't help himself and always mows the perimeter of the brome field, even though we lose quite a few bales and have told him he can mow whatever he wants EXCEPT that. Day 3, Mr. TC went out to spray and discovered our neighbor had been at it again. Kind of defeats the purpose of trying to kill the johnsongrass.

Guess we'll find out if it actually worked in another week or so.

He finally finished. Probably took a lot longer than those of you with experience because of the learning curve and after all he's been through the past few years, being in the tractor for more than 3 hours is really hard on him.

Here are some pros/cons/observations:

This is really designed for a bucket with either teeth or a lip. He wasn't out there more than 30 minutes when it fell off, even though it was screwed in as tight as we could get it. Ended up drilling some indents in the bucket and that was enough to keep it secure.

The tank was sliding around and subsequently pulling out the wires. Rigging with ratchet straps solved that problem. Make darn sure the drain on the tank is screwed in tight!!! Nothing like seeing $$$$ of chemicals leaking out and pooling in the bucket. Also, it's hard to tell when the tank is empty.

The seeds are a PITA and you have to spend quality time cleaning them off the sponges, even with a sprayer nozzle on the hose.

The johnsongrass is so high it's hard to make consistent rows; he went over some areas multiple times.

Fawns! He's pretty sure he didn't run over any but flushed out quite a few that were bedded down.

You know how you get to a certain age and automatically turn the radio down when you're trying to follow directions? Yeah, he turned it off. I'm not sure that helped.

We have a neighbor with adjoining property and he's on our back 80 more than we are, mowing, making trails, putting up gates, keeping himself busy (entertained?). He can't help himself and always mows the perimeter of the brome field, even though we lose quite a few bales and have told him he can mow whatever he wants EXCEPT that. Day 3, Mr. TC went out to spray and discovered our neighbor had been at it again. Kind of defeats the purpose of trying to kill the johnsongrass.

Guess we'll find out if it actually worked in another week or so.
Looking forward to the photos TC. My experience with wipers is they are bloody messy but have been surprised how little of the non target species get killed. Sounds like Mr TC did a good job. I hope he did not hose it down on your front lawn? He will be ready to go next summer and will be able to choose the most opportune time to use it.

Ken

Understanding that there may be a disparity between the growth rates of the brome and Johnsongrass, I would be happy to reimburse you for taking forage tissue samples of each species before harvest. Would love to see TDN and CP levels on each plant.

Junk. We originally planted alfalfa and it did great. Then Bermuda, which was okay. Back to alfalfa and it never really took off, it's basically a mix of alfalfa, native/prairie & johnsongrass.
Johnson grass makes good hay when cut while in the boot stage. Fertilize and cut when leafy. Boot stage if you do not know what it is is when the seed head is still covered by the leaves similar as just before tassels appear in the corn crop.

Done!!!

Okay, the straps on the tank didn't work after a while and it kept coming unconnected. Next year, I'm going to put a block of wood on one side of the tank and a tension shower rod on the other to keep it secure - in addition to the straps. Part of the west 80 had already seeded out and is too hilly, so he didn't even attempt to go there. But otherwise, pretty pleased with the results.

Hung the wiper on one end of the mechanical shop, using S hooks and chains on the braces. Out of the way & off the floor until next year. NOT fun cleaning out all the residual seeds! Hoping for a much better yield, in spite of the drought.IMG_20220903_152127137.jpgIMG_20220908_151141844.jpgIMG_20220908_151158222_HDR.jpg