Weed Wiper

Help Support CattleToday:

It might work better to mount all that stuff on a pallet and use hay forks or pallet forks.
Instead of the bucket? Possibly. But then there's the potential for the pallet to slide around on the forks - we have some pretty rough terrain. Once he drilled indents in the bucket, the wiper stayed secure, and I think when I add the tension rod/block, the tank won't slide around.

I don't know why but at first i thought bird dog was talking about storing it on a pallet but then you mentioned for actual use. I like that idea but with pallet forks that have the bracket/frame. You could cinch or mount it to the pallet and then take ratchet straps (heavy duty) and cinch the pallet to the back of the pallet forks bracket/frame. I dont think it would move at all.

0026905A-C4C5-4FFC-BFC7-6716E0E30F00.jpeg

Many poly tanks have mount holes molded into the bottoms or on flanges near the ends. The ones I've seen are threaded as well. Yours have it?

Good luck with the tension shower rod. My experience is you can count yourself lucky if they even hold a shower curtain in place.

Chaded described what I was talking about exactly. Build a purpose built pallet and leave everything assembled. When finished, unhook your two ratchet straps that hold it to the frame, drive it into the shop and set the whole thing on a rack mounted about 6' off the ground.

He finally finished. Probably took a lot longer than those of you with experience because of the learning curve and after all he's been through the past few years, being in the tractor for more than 3 hours is really hard on him.

Here are some pros/cons/observations:

This is really designed for a bucket with either teeth or a lip. He wasn't out there more than 30 minutes when it fell off, even though it was screwed in as tight as we could get it. Ended up drilling some indents in the bucket and that was enough to keep it secure.

The tank was sliding around and subsequently pulling out the wires. Rigging with ratchet straps solved that problem. Make darn sure the drain on the tank is screwed in tight!!! Nothing like seeing $$$$ of chemicals leaking out and pooling in the bucket. Also, it's hard to tell when the tank is empty.

The seeds are a PITA and you have to spend quality time cleaning them off the sponges, even with a sprayer nozzle on the hose.

The johnsongrass is so high it's hard to make consistent rows; he went over some areas multiple times.

Fawns! He's pretty sure he didn't run over any but flushed out quite a few that were bedded down.

You know how you get to a certain age and automatically turn the radio down when you're trying to follow directions? Yeah, he turned it off. I'm not sure that helped.

We have a neighbor with adjoining property and he's on our back 80 more than we are, mowing, making trails, putting up gates, keeping himself busy (entertained?). He can't help himself and always mows the perimeter of the brome field, even though we lose quite a few bales and have told him he can mow whatever he wants EXCEPT that. Day 3, Mr. TC went out to spray and discovered our neighbor had been at it again. Kind of defeats the purpose of trying to kill the johnsongrass.

Guess we'll find out if it actually worked in another week or so.

Edited to show this information.

Might get into the field before the johnson grass seeds out.

Last edited:
Edited to show this information.

Might get into the field before the johnson grass seeds out.
That's one of the publications I made Mr TC read prior to this endeavor. Got the bottom ground before it seeded out but pretty surprised how well it worked on the rest of the fields. You learn by doing and next year he'll be much better prepared, hit it earlier.

Many poly tanks have mount holes molded into the bottoms or on flanges near the ends. The ones I've seen are threaded as well. Yours have it?

Good luck with the tension shower rod. My experience is you can count yourself lucky if they even hold a shower curtain in place.
This tank doesn't have that, but I know what you're talking about because I believe the tank we use that fits in the back of my Polaris does. Would have been a lot easier to borrow a serious drill from our neighbor and call it good.
1662763454906.jpeg

Lots of great feedback and suggestions, thanks! @chaded, hope this thread helps in your decision. I'm pretty amazed how well it's working, based on the freakin' enormous learning curve, botched attempts, thinking outside the box and (let's be honest) Mr TC's health. Pretty proud of him and any good results are better than the alternative.

Lots of great feedback and suggestions, thanks! @chaded, hope this thread helps in your decision. I'm pretty amazed how well it's working, based on the freakin' enormous learning curve, botched attempts, thinking outside the box and (let's be honest) Mr TC's health. Pretty proud of him and any good results are better than the alternative.
How much glyphosate to how much water did you mix in the tank? Looks like good results.

How much glyphosate to how much water did you mix in the tank? Looks like good results.
Per tank, he used 2.5 gallons of Eraser (generic Roundup), appx 7.5 gal. water and 32 oz. Makaze, which makes the Eraser stick to the leaves/stems. I'm impressed with the results. That said, we are in a drought, which may skew results under "normal circumstances".

Mounted on the bucket of the tractor, 20 ft. that folds to 10 ft. with a flow control, tank & pump. Anyone familiar with this one? Pros/Cons? Suggestions? Wanting one for the johnsongrass that's trying to take over the brome.

What weed are you going after?
We use one for Johnson Grass. 10' rear mount on 4-wheeler. Tried it on front but you could see the tire track overspray.

Aren't you forfeiting economy of scale by using such a small tank? If you do not want a larger tank on the loader mount 100 gallon
on the rear and use a PTO pump to refill the bucket tank as needed. Time and distance are cost considerations not profit makers.

I didn't realize it was a small tank. A 15 gal tank?

Per tank, he used 2.5 gallons of Eraser (generic Roundup), appx 7.5 gal. water and 32 oz. Makaze
Maybe I misunderstand this but to me, 2.5gal eraser to 7.5gal water is a VERY strong mixture.

Aren't you forfeiting economy of scale by using such a small tank? If you do not want a larger tank on the loader mount 100 gallon
on the rear and use a PTO pump to refill the bucket tank as needed. Time and distance are cost considerations not profit makers.
That's the size that came with the weed wiper. But agree, a larger tank would certainly have made more sense. We could possibly switch out the tank I use in my Polaris for spot spraying the driveways, etc. - assuming the electrical is interchangeable.

That's the size that came with the weed wiper. But agree, a larger tank would certainly have made more sense. We could possibly switch out the tank I use in my Polaris for spot spraying the driveways, etc. - assuming the electrical is interchangeable.
If you put a pto pump on the back there would be no need for another electric pump. Just use the rear tank to fill front on the go.
You will need agitation in the back tank. You will figure it out.

Instead of a shower rod, you might consider one of the rods used inside of tractor trailers that expands to touch both sides. Should be much more robust than a shower curtain rod. I'd cut one down to span the inside of the bucket should you go that route, and run it across in front of the tank - not up against it from the side as I think that would put too much stress on the plastic tank.

I do really like the idea of a purpose built skid, though. Find a plastic pallet and secure everything to it and brace accordingly. Mounting and dismounting would be zero physical labor, just run a ratchet strap around the fork frame and attach to pallet on either side. I'd personally run 2 just in case one came loose/wore through so I wouldn't dump that expensive cargo. Would be easier on the husband in the long run.

Latest posts