Pharo cattle company

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm not sure I understand why anyone would think that European or British cattle aren't best suited for the north and less suited as you get south and the temperatures rise.
And here I thought this thread was about finding the MOST efficient cattle for their environment to produce more profit.

Our experience using the Gelbveigh influence overall didn't work. At least 1/3 of the calves had docility issues some severe. He knocked off over one frame size and 200-250 lbs of weight. He became a traveler and his wheels got him a ride to the auction. Even keeping the docile heifers we still have docility issues crop out in some of their calves. He did sire females with good udders and teats. A few PB breeders started raising them 10-12 years ago. Now there are very few left.

In these parts you hardly hear of Gelbvieh cattle anymore, unless it's in a cross, like Balancers.
I know a family that sells bulls that are Simmental, Gelbvieh and Angus cross.
We used to call those mongrels; now they are called Composites.
I wouldn't buy a bull from them, but I have to say they have a nice cowherd.

Our experience using the Gelbveigh influence overall didn't work. At least 1/3 of the calves had docility issues some severe. He knocked off over one frame size and 200-250 lbs of weight. He became a traveler and his wheels got him a ride to the auction. Even keeping the docile heifers we still have docility issues crop out in some of their calves. He did sire females with good udders and teats. A few PB breeders started raising them 10-12 years ago. Now there are very few left.
How they're raised and where they're from really does matter for docility. My first PB Gelbvieh bull wasn't a socializer, but was very well behaved, the one I have now does like attention but he's always been really cool. Salers are well known for being 1 man cows (at best), and we certainly had our experiences with them being able to clear a 6 ft fence if they were cornered, but by the same token some of my peskiest pests also have the most Salers blood in them

Here are the boys at the ranch I get mine from, everyone wants to say hi
20181107_100749.jpg

Title: Pharo Cattle Company. Not efficiency. Just notion, commotion and promotion.
Good thing threads on this forum stick tightly to the title and never deal with topics other than strictly what is in the title.🤔
Oh wait it has been 2-3 pages since Pharo cattle company has been discussed 🙄

Good thing threads on this forum stick tightly to the title and never deal with topics other than strictly what is in the title.🤔
Oh wait it has been 2-3 pages since Pharo cattle company has been discussed 🙄
Good thing that I refreshed your memory. You're welcome!

All been tried Andybob, if the crosses actually worked there would be thousands of those cows today. They may be wonderful mother cows but we still have to sell to a market that demands growth in a feedlot and a large carcass.
Years back I was interested in putting black Galloway blood into our cows, shooting for 1/4 blood cows. I quizzed the buyer's row at our local yards and was unanimously told that when I started sending Galloway cross calves they would stop paying the premium I was getting. I never bought any bulls.
It is a pity that there is no potential for these older breeds, though it does open up the possibility of looking into some of the other larger breeds such as the Welsh Black, I would be interested in researching the Chirikof island cattle, and seeing if anyone is building a herd on the mainland, it would be a pity to lose the adapted genetics due to the island now being cleared of cattle.

It is a pity that there is no potential for these older breeds, though it does open up the possibility of looking into some of the other larger breeds such as the Welsh Black, I would be interested in researching the Chirikof island cattle, and seeing if anyone is building a herd on the mainland, it would be a pity to lose the adapted genetics due to the island now being cleared of cattle.
you Might get some hardy cattle out of that bunch..but You'd sacrifice a lot of what the beef industry should be about in the eating quality..once you get them back In under mans control, and domesticated ..you will just soften them back up..if you didn't run them the same way they've been accustomed too, which They ain't many I know that would do that...if it ain't broke, we'll fix it till it is..

Chirikof island Alaska, they want to restore the native wildlife, so are slaughtering out the feral cattle herd.
I haven't read anything about restoring the native wildlife. Last I knew some guys had leased the island and were only gathering once a year to butcher a bunch more of the bulls and older cows. They tried to bring some to the mainland but they shrunk badly before reaching a kill plant and lots of the calves died in the feedlot.
To my knowledge they have a portable plant there now. Not sure how many cattle a year they harvest.

I'm not sure I understand why anyone would think that European or British cattle aren't best suited for the north and less suited as you get south and the temperatures rise.
Common knowledge, I thought. In Texas it's known that, in general, F1 Brafords are the gold standard for longevity and efficiency in the southern part of the state. It just comes down to whether you can handle them.

It's also common knowledge that, in general, the farther north you go the more likely a 1400lb bigger continental will do better.

But even within breeds now there are variations that allow exceptions. Probably because they are so far removed from the continent now that they are very different from their original ancestors…

Did see research that showed southern cattle have been getting bigger and bigger while northern cattle have been staying the same size.

To go back to Pharo, they seem to be trying to be the exception. They are selling some really small framed cattle in Nebraska now. We'll see if that phenotype really does better in the cold over time, I guess.

I haven't read anything about restoring the native wildlife. Last I knew some guys had leased the island and were only gathering once a year to butcher a bunch more of the bulls and older cows. They tried to bring some to the mainland but they shrunk badly before reaching a kill plant and lots of the calves died in the feedlot.
To my knowledge they have a portable plant there now. Not sure how many cattle a year they harvest.
Bering Pacific Ranches. I think I saw it listed for $16 million or so 8 k head, no fences to fix, slaughter facilities and comes with your own helicopter to check cows in and scare the crap out of your wife. Great retirement project.

It is a pity that there is no potential for these older breeds, though it does open up the possibility of looking into some of the other larger breeds such as the Welsh Black,
There is plenty of potential there , if someone is willing to think outside the box.
It's also common knowledge that, in general, the farther north you go the more likely a 1400lb bigger continental will do better.

But even within breeds now there are variations that allow exceptions. Probably because they are so far removed from the continent now that they are very different from their original ancestors…
I am interested in where you found this"common knowledge "
Most I know of have been slightly reducing frame size in commercial cattle . Most consider the frame race and the crazy sizes that result as not a financially viable .
The thing I look at at some of the "odd ball " or "niche" breeds is the possibility of the in taped genetics .since for the most part they have not been exposed to the craziness of the latest fad . Be it frame race , or black hide or bust craze ect.

Latest posts