Pharo Cattle Company AI Sires?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Looked through Kit' directory today. A lot more RA bulls than most. Not much for Hereford or Tarentaise.

Do you have any favorites or tips on his bulls?

What kind of cows would you use them on? I took a quick look after reading your post, and that composite bull Buckaroo seemed to me like he would be awesome used on Angus cows.

What are we doing to our industry? Cows weren't meant to require artificial insemination. If your bull can't cover a bunch of cows that are consuming nothing but rocks and dirt, how sustainable is your herd? Liquid nitrogren and labor costs are only going to go up. You need to consider a low input solution.

;)

Ok....

Kit has bulls at his sale that sell from $1500 on up, he sells his semen from $6 to maybe $20 or $25 AI just might be lower input if you possess any management skills.

I would be hard pressed to feed a dozen bulls for 75 bucks a year, that's my nitrogen cost. Semen cost between 12 and 20 bucks a unit and the bulls in the tank are a lot easier on fences.

I have a decent bull, he is calm, and he settles everything. Hard to complain about that.

I also have a mixed herd and 32 open heifers, so I am looking at using AI for potential wf replacements, rather than a second bull.

I used 123 on some black heifers, I really like them. They are thick and look real nice. I didn't weigh any of the babies but they were small and trouble free. I also used iron man. I don't like those calves as well as 123. They don't have as much depth of body and thickness. The iron man babies were tiny. I weighed one on a bathroom scale and it was 49 pounds. I was concerned it was so small but it did just fine. I bought some Idaho and more 123 for next year.

footballjdtractor":2s0prl27 said:
I also used iron man. I don't like those calves as well as 123. They don't have as much depth of body and thickness. The iron man babies were tiny. I weighed one on a bathroom scale and it was 49 pounds. I was concerned it was so small but it did just fine.

Sounds like being in the top 1% for calving ease may be too much of a good thing.

Stocker Steve":22nl4rip said:
Sounds like being in the top 1% for calving ease may be too much of a good thing.
It depends on how it grows and weans. We have had calves that are 45-55 lbs at birth and still wean in the high 6s to mid 7s

MO_cows":29qy5jl6 said:
Ummmm, Dun, you drop some jelly on your keyboard? I think your 5 might be sticking on ya. :compute:
Yup, along with the nnnnnnnnnnnnn and the aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

We used a low birth wt. sire on 600 to 650# wf heifers last year. Never touched one but had a couple very small calves. The smallest one we named Goat Boy. He looked and sound like... Weaned at 530#. A 7wt. would have been almost as big as his dam :shock:

Latest posts