pasture rent $

Help Support CattleToday:

mncowboy

Reaction score
Curious what folks are paying for pasture rent, whether it be per pair per month or by and acre and ball park price- Specifically MN/ND areas but I'll take anyones input.
Thanks

In this neck of the woods (MO Ozarks) the going rate is 10-12 bucks a month per head or pair under 6 months.

Well Wisconsin is not quite Minnesota but mid $30/acre is the norm which according to an article from 2007 is about where it was back then.

ABrauny":2qgxtgm6 said:
Well Wisconsin is not quite Minnesota but mid $30/acre is the norm which according to an article from 2007 is about where it was back then.

$30/acre per year?

I offered $50/acre to my neighbor and it wasnt even fenced. Been in CRP for 10 years. She looked at me like I Was crazy, and said uhhhh, no. :D

Works out to $2.81/acre for the land I rent. But their aren't many competent renters around here and rentee's just want to have the taxes paid for on it.

tripleBfarms":3ucf2lub said:
I offered $50/acre to my neighbor and it wasnt even fenced. Been in CRP for 10 years. She looked at me like I Was crazy, and said uhhhh, no. :D
The biggest problem is the grain farmers paying outrageous prices for an acre of ground. Anything they can get a combine over without turning it over is all gone. Around here its cattle country, but you would think its the Midwest with all the corn and beans.

I sold some bulls to a cattleman in Kissemme FL, 2011, he said he could rent pasture for under $10 per acre , all he wanted and some under $5 . but as he said , it wasnt all top quality grazing either

polledbull":3px45dxd said:
I sold some bulls to a cattleman in Kissemme FL, 2011, he said he could rent pasture for under $10 per acre , all he wanted and some under $5 . but as he said , it wasnt all top quality grazing either
That was for a large tract I'm sure. Rate is 10-35/acre here depending on size and a few other factors. There's a lot of land that is native grasses but it takes 10 acres/pair on native.its usually already leased long term. And a lot of times a fair bit is swamp land.

$25/acre is going rate here for the grassed land. Woods are free. Several years ago I had a 2000+ acre property that was once a cattle farm. The owner lived up north but wanted to keep cattle on the property like his dad did to keep the woods trimmed and to keep it looking like it was when he lived there. It had perimeter fencing and fenced pastures, lakes, barn, grain bin and a feed lot. It was capable of holding over 200 head of cattle but it did need some minor fence work. Offered it to several people for two years rent free in trade for the minor fence repair and after that it would be $25/acre a year for the grassed land. Couldn't find anyone to take the deal so we rented the whole thing to some hunters for $15/acre and planted the grass land in pine trees for a company who paid for this so they could store their excess carbon. Landowner didn't get what he wanted but he did get more money doing it this way.

Have been looking for over a year, extension office avg. for improved pasture is $62/acre and unimproved is $30/acre but you cant find any i have offered $75-$100 for the right pasture and they either wont take it away from current renter or thats less than what their getting already. Watched two different pasture rent auctions and both went high close to $200/acre. Around here if you figure 2 pairs an acre and get rain and fertilize you will be cutting it close. 2.5-3 acres per pair is a safer bet, thats just my experence. I currently am running a huge herd of 14 and i am battling my way into the cattle business. My dad has 40 head and rents a big unimproved pasture and rents his own farm out i guess he figures it pencils out, part of that is location too tho.

I just leased a small patch for $1.50/pair/day. Grazing season is May 15 - October 15, cows will be pulled off when grass is gone - the second half of the rent is adjusted accordingly.

This is a smoking good deal for this area, there are some drawbacks/issues.

This is former CRP ground that has been hayed the last 3 years or so - it needs a soil test and fertilized. There aren't any corrals there - will have to either set something up with panels, or build something. Weeds have been pretty well held in check and he sprayed with 2-4-D this fall.

The perimeter fence is old 3-4 wire barbed wire, posts are all there. Just needs TLC. The owner will pay for all infrastructure upgrades (fence, waterline, etc), I have committed to help him with the work. This is a handshake deal, we are going to try it for the first year and see how we get along...I am cautious about spending a lot of cash/effort on the property and having someone else come in and up the ante.

As many others have stated, finding pasture to lease is quite difficult - I feel fortunate to have stumbled into this one. Buying pasture is darn near impossible, most has been converted to crop ground and what is being sold is going for $10,000+/pair.

dun":3lw9b78h said:
In this neck of the woods (MO Ozarks) the going rate is 10-12 bucks a month per head or pair under 6 months.

That seems insanely cheap. our area is at least a buck a day with some paying more.

I am about 65 mile south of Dun and 10 dollars per head/pair per month is about right around here for pasture land. However, just like Banjo said, everything changed on any ground that they can get a no-till planter and combine over. That went to 100-150 per acre this year and a whole lot of marginal pasture ground got planted in corn and beans and now they are planting wheat to try and double crop. Wheat did well this spring and early corn and early beans did real well. None of of the July beans or late corn made anything around here. The wheat crop came off a month late and none of the double crop worked this summer, but I guess they made enough on the one grain crop to pay 150 an acre again for marginal pasture ground.

I'm in southcentral/eastern Nebraska and I pay $35-40/acre. That's for mostly native ground that has fence around it but the fence needs some TLC. Most of it is not suitable farming otherwise it would be higher. I definitely prefer per acre over per head because I rotationally graze and am able to run more cattle then most. I'm really going to start going after wooded land to see if I can get some ground for cheap.

I rent 30 acres of good bottom land pasture during the summer and fall mostly as a safety net and pay 150 a month and run 20 pairs without overgrazing. Still haven't fed any hay.

Latest posts