Cull hard

Help Support CattleToday:

Thats good news. I'm about to hit a few more. They will go with their calves here in a month. All should be bred back. Got one that gave me attitude, couple older cows, 2 that I'm not impressed with bags and 2 with weak calves.

It's dry and we have good heifers on deck that I'm about to wean. Hopefully it rains by the time the heifers are raising calves. LoL

The money is good for sure. I sold when I thought we were near peak! All signs pointed to a drop off. That's when I bought a handful and sure wished I'd a loaded up the pastures with the kind I bought then.

Eventually there won't be any more to sell, and it'll get real bad.

My first calf heifer is making so much milk I'm having to pour it out on the ground. I'd like to buy another Jersey heifer calf or two to raise but I can't imagine what they cost. Dairy farms have gone to Beef on Dairy so they can get a good price selling them for meat. Only their best cows are bred to Holstein and Jersey sex selected semen and those calves aren't for sale. And no I'm not getting pigs. I hate pigs.

My first calf heifer is making so much milk I'm having to pour it out on the ground. I'd like to buy another Jersey heifer calf or two to raise but I can't imagine what they cost. Dairy farms have gone to Beef on Dairy so they can get a good price selling them for meat. Only their best cows are bred to Holstein and Jersey sex selected semen and those calves aren't for sale. And no I'm not getting pigs. I hate pigs.
I heard on the radio WTX A&M or some one is building a facility and doing a whole study on feeding dairy cross beef cattle. It has become such a thing big feedlots and who ever else are donating to them for the program so they can use the info.

Dairy beef crosses have a few positives that are already well known.... They do not go through as much of a "frame growth" as straight dairy (holsteins) and then take alot of feed to fill out to a "finished animal."... The beef in them will put a little more meat on them as they are growing, fill out a bit better, and finish at a little lighter weight, than a straight dairy animal, so not such big carcasses.
Dairy animals are KNOWN for the marbling and they are good at eating large amounts of feed, silage and such, so their finished carcasses will grade out in the choice and prime more often with the marbling, at a little faster pace than straight dairy. Plus they do not get the backfat so not as much trim on most carcasses.

Got none to cull. Will be keeping all my heifers and any bred cow until numbers back up.

Agree we should just keep numbers at a moderate level. The business is definitely more profitable for everyone when we don't chase max stocking rates. But another year of these rains and I imagine we'll see numbers go up drastically.

I have been thinking to take it back a bit. Would like to cut maybe a third or maybe even half. A dozen is enough. We usually sell beef to locals and my wife is against selling at the local barns. Being natural and no vax, they would be open to everything at the barn..... and they bring half the price in small sales. Have to travel to better barns an hour away. Will shoot for next Monday to drop a couple off in Dixon, TN.

I have been thinking to take it back a bit. Would like to cut maybe a third or maybe even half. A dozen is enough. We usually sell beef to locals and my wife is against selling at the local barns. Being natural and no vax, they would be open to everything at the barn..... and they bring half the price in small sales. Have to travel to better barns an hour away. Will shoot for next Monday to drop a couple off in Dixon, TN.
Have you considered selling them privately? People will pay top dollar for non-poked. Just got to advertise them in the right place.

What class animal are you cutting loose?

I hate taking anything to the sale barn too. It's just too convenient. Lol

Have you considered selling them privately? People will pay top dollar for non-poked. Just got to advertise them in the right place.

What class animal are you cutting loose?

I hate taking anything to the sale barn too. It's just too convenient. Lol

We just sell beef. Don't really advertise, just word of mouth around town.

No class animals, unregistered Longhorns. Better condition than most animals that I see around here. People stop for pics and just to talk about them when I'm out there in the roadside pasture. Get alot of compliments on the animals. I need a sign out front, "slightly used animals for sale." Neighbor just told me she gave directions to her farm, "just past the longhorns couple miles out of town..." without using her address. LoL! Good or bad, we're a landmark here in town I guess.
We raise them for fun, we retired a few years back, and butcher when appropriate. We grind at the table to use or sell lean beef from the butcher. Most don't want the knowledge of the animal when I ask if they want to see a pic or if they want the horns.
Wife wants to start doing farm markets. At least advertise there when she sells other things.