Cull Cow Sale

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Don't know if guys were gearing up for July 4th weekend already or there was something in the water but cull sale today brought best prices I've seen in a good while. Heavy girls over 1400lbs sold up to $1.12 per pound and lighter girls still in the $.85-$.90 per pound. Bulls went up to $1.29 per pound. I had a Charolais girl at 1555 lbs bring $1.09 and a Hereford bull at 1800lbs bring $1.18. My 20 cows averaged $92.95 per hundred weight.

Don't know if guys were gearing up for July 4th weekend already or there was something in the water but cull sale today brought best prices I've seen in a good while. Heavy girls over 1400lbs sold up to $1.12 per pound and lighter girls still in the $.85-$.90 per pound. Bulls went up to $1.29 per pound. I had a Charolais girl at 1555 lbs bring $1.09 and a Hereford bull at 1800lbs bring $1.18. My 20 cows averaged $92.95 per hundred weight.
They have been lots higher lately. Little cheaper since Memorial day. Seen cows to 1.18 and bulls to 1.40. None were mine of course.

The top in this area Tuesday was $95.00 on cows and $1.10 on bulls.

Vale results from Wednesday list the bulk of cows at $0.90 to $1.00 with the top $1.0350. Bulk of bulls at $0.99 to $1.24 with the top at $1.29

Still a lot of cows coming to town in Texas. Some rains in the worst drought area has slowed up the cow run at sales. Lone Star Pack @ San Angelo put money on cows this week.

Talked to B this morning. They were firing up 2 pickups with 24 foot trailers to take 2 loads to the sale today. He took half a dozen cull cows to La Grande two weeks ago and averaged $0.975. Took 8 to Vale last week and got $0.98. He said 98 cent cull cows have put him in a real good mood. Last week we hauled some broken mouth cows to our BM pasture. I was figuring what they were worth at today's price. B said don't count your chickens before they hatch. Well he got his checks from those two sales. This morning the chickens were running through the yard.

I had a buddy here recently take down some pairs and got 1250 for the pairs, and he had some open cows and got 1000 for them. I have a couple pairs that were really late; I think I will keep them. If they don't get bred back I will sell them as opens next fall. I am trying to breed within in a 60 day window, and put the bulls on the herd June 2nd this year.

I stopped at the sale on Wednesday. Only about 20 minutes worth of calves and yearlings. Top cow while I was there was $1.075. The lowest I saw sell was $0.88 for a thin cow. Average range cows were $0.93- $0.97.