Cull cows

Help Support CattleToday:

High cull prices will do a lot towards the genetic improvement of the national cow herd. If you're not improving, you're moving backwards.
Everyone, including myself, need to look at all of our cows and cull any poor performers to take advantage of these higher prices. The resulting smaller cow herd will set us up for better feeder cattle prices for the next few years.

I agree on color.
Some reds, chars, etc brought same money today.

Most were around .84 up to 1400lbs

O yeah, a 7x7 bred jersey sold for around 900 bucks today too. I didn't even bid...

At the beginning of the month the local sale barn had a bred cow special. Every bred cow regardless of age, color, or stage; starting bid equated to .80/lb

The sales on Wednesday and Thursday I didn't stay to watch kill cows sell. But they sold the short breds by the pound. They sold for right around $0.85 give or take a penny or two. Any cows bred less than 6 months go to the kill buyers.

Rumors of $0.90 cows sure isn't a rumor. And not just for one high selling cow. I went to a stock cow sale today. The kill buyers bought most of them. I mean even solid mouth cows 7 or 8 months bred. They were selling by the head but you could do the math and it was mostly 90 cents plus. I got a lot of 4 BM cows that were big framed but not heavily fleshed. Paid $1060 which worked out to 87 cents a pond. I was one bid over the kill buyers. If the kill market stays this hot until mid August I will be in fat city. And I don't see any reason why it will drop by then.
And if they keep killing all these bred cows calves will be in short supply this fall and next year too.

Cows today in Paris KY to 1.09 and bulls to 135.50. Gonna cause a lot of culling.
I'm still being told they will be higher in 3 weeks.
It's odd to think about getting excited when an old 1500lb cull cow that maybe has lost a calf is worth $1600+. Its making some people that are kinda wanting to cull or maybe even sell out think strong about it.

Last edited:
Every poor old thin cow in the area was at the sale yesterday. Lots of nice ones too. Still dry here and lots of drought worries. They had so many that the main packer buyers quit about 3/4's of the way through. I guess they got their limit. Prices fell about a dime towards the end.
Its kind of a worrisome trend to see this many solid cows leaving the area.

90s yesterday too
Some were high as a dollar plus.
Those old skinny cows still don't bring nothing tho. As low as .20
We will see what happens today. I sold my older colored animals a few weeks ago. And a couple that screwed up.

Almost wonder I I should've waited a few weeks 🙃

Last edited:
We have a good chance of rain next week that is long overdue, if it doesn't materialize then you will see many more big runs of cows as the drought worsens.

The kill buyers are buying alot of nice cows right now here bred open fat thin they don't care. Watch quite a few young 4-5 month bred cows go to kill buyer. But it's hard to make paying what they are pencil out for me to buy them and hope they make it. Roping cattle are up here also a all day long $300 corriente is running $500ish

With cattle prices up and land prices up significantly, some older producers will sell out and take their retirement. You reach a time when you just can't do everything that you once could.
This is a time of contraction and consolidation in the cattle industry, the big will get bigger and many of the small will go out of business or retire.

It's odd to think about getting excited when an old 1500lb cull cow that maybe has lost a calf is worth $1600+.
Doesn't this make a young pair look attractive at $2000-2200 when you can trade in a big old cow for a young pair with a little added to it?
You could sell 4 old cows and buy 3 young pairs for even money or possibly have money left over. The pairs would give you another paycheck later this year.

Doesn't this make a young pair look attractive at $2000-2200 when you can trade in a big old cow for a young pair with a little added to it?
You could sell 4 old cows and buy 3 young pairs for even money or possibly have money left over. The pairs would give you another paycheck later this year.
But even more attractive is to stick the money in your pocket until this fall when the cows will be lots cheaper. Sell 4 now buy 6 this fall.

Here I think it depends more on the drought. If we get good rains this summer, people may be rebuilding their herds this fall.

I haven't looked in quite a while. I was shocked how much of the country is dealing with drought conditions. I knew we were dryer than normal but didn't realize we are so much better off than the rest of Texas. Just barely south of the white spot in central Texas.Texas Drought Monitor 03172022.pngDrought Monitor 03152022.png

Last edited:

Latest posts