pasture rent $

Help Support CattleToday:

Just had an opportunity for 300 acres of native grasses for 20/acre. It'll carry 35 pairs with little input but I'm trying to justify 6 grand a year on native grasses since I'll have to purchase bred cows for it and at today prices and the lease rate it will be 3 years to break even.

hooknline":vnloq38o said:
Just had an opportunity for 300 acres of native grasses for 20/acre. It'll carry 35 pairs with little input but I'm trying to justify 6 grand a year on native grasses since I'll have to purchase bred cows for it and at today prices and the lease rate it will be 3 years to break even.
Take it, ASAP.

Hook - I gotta agree with JS, that sounds like a heck of a deal to me.

I just called a guy about a 700 acre parcel for rent on a three year contract, good hard grass pasture. It's cross fenced into 10 paddocks, three wells feed tanks in each pasture. He has run 100 pair on it in the past, but wants to cut back to 90 for the five month grazing season.

Current bid is $460/pair/season, he will provide all care.

Even if the cows are paid for...my pencil ain't that sharp.

He's taking bids until January 1, 2014; full rent check is due March 1. PM me if you want his number.

I've been looking for more pasture for a couple of years.
Really none to be had.
I've knocked on strangers doors, newspaper ads, internet, and call in radio programs. No luck.

I backed away from that one. I agree some money could have been made there but the owner would have been miserable to deal with. The type that after talking to him the income wouldn't have justified dealing with him. Too many demands, wanted to have a say in everything and when things were done. Overall just not worth it.

hooknline":2d59azfz said:
I backed away from that one. I agree some money could have been made there but the owner would have been miserable to deal with. The type that after talking to him the income wouldn't have justified dealing with him. Too many demands, wanted to have a say in everything and when things were done. Overall just not worth it.
I can appreciate that. I've got a couple places that I'd be embarrassed to say how much I pay for the lease as they just fit my operations so good. Conversely, there are a couple nice places around places we own that I wouldn't take for free due to owner that I would then have to deal with.

Latest posts