Pasture Pet Peeves

Help Support CattleToday:

Not cleaning up! When we bought this ranch, we were shocked at how many old fences were just kinda-sorta balled up & left in the pastures. Fence clips, tools, etc just thrown down & forgotten/never picked up. Booze cruisers throwing their trash and especially beer bottles in the pastures. Oil well pumpers leaving the gates open. Rocks!!!!! Although, that's geography and it is what it is.

Donkeys, Llamas, pet horses... pretty much any thing other than birds, deer, and cows. 😄

X2 on the junk laying around. I have ocd issues and that drives me nuts. The last place we went it to I had a dozer just piling stuff up so we could burn, bury, give away or just get rid of. It total ruins a place and takes away the natural look. Plus, it's a bad reminder of a neglected place.

Last edited:
Donkeys, Llamas, pet horses... pretty much any thing other than birds, deer, and cows. 😄

X2 on the junk laying around. I have ocd issues and that drives me nuts. The last place we went it to I had a dozer just piling stuff up so we could burn, bury, give away or just get rid of. It total ruins a place and takes away the natural look. Plus, it's a bad reminder of a neglected place.
I hear you on the OCD. I can't even Park crooked in a parking space.
Drives me crazy to see stuff installed crooked, like poorly installed fences that look like the installers were drunk.

I have a pasture that I lease for my bulls during the off season. During the summer it takes him forever to irrigate, about five acres; he started around the first of July and is still at it. He had berms put in in several years ago thinking it would make easier to irrigate. He is an engineer so he had to design a better way. Each berm is about 30' across, and is irrigated by one 10" pipe. Had he put in gated pipe he could irrigate it in a week. I am pretty sure his ears are burning every time I drive over his berms in the tractor when feeding or dragging the pasture.

I'll take all the junk I can get, the scrap yard is only ten miles from here. It's a bonus, plus they pay cash!

I think I've got a bunch of them. My biggest is unnecessary driving on my grass. That's what the roads are for.
Especially if it's tinder dry. Ever seen what a hot catalytic converter does to tall, dead, bone dry grass, especially if your vehicle rides fairly low AND you stop driving forward? I have. I'm glad I had a fire extinguisher. The ironic thing is, I was assessing wildfire damage at the time. I ALMOST gave myself more to assess! Returned to the office and replaced my now empty fire extinguisher.

Especially if it's tinder dry. Ever seen what a hot catalytic converter does to tall, dead, bone dry grass, especially if your vehicle rides fairly low AND you stop driving forward? I have. I'm glad I had a fire extinguisher. The ironic thing is, I was assessing wildfire damage at the time. I ALMOST gave myself more to assess! Returned to the office and replaced my now empty fire extinguisher.
Heck yes. Park a hot car in the yard and have a big yellow spot the next day.

Those tire tracks will be visible in pasture for a month or two. Drives me nuts!