Fertilizing pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

I have 2 / 10-12 acre pastures that are just pasture grass. Mostly Bermuda grass. In the past years I have used granulated fertilizers that was mixed due to soil sample specs. Fortunately it being farm land before pasture it showed a soil sample having pretty much needing nothing but nitrogen and some sulfur. Last year I used chicken compost. Had the best crop of thistles I've ever seen. Had to spray Grazon next to kill them out. Now I'm looking this year at liquid nitrogen. My question is how long does the liquid last? Is it a once a year thing.? I have 11 cows on it and one bull, at present 8 calves. All are beef cattle consisting of Black aSngus, Charolais, Herford and Black Baldee. The older 5 months calves (3) will be moved to a calf pasture next week. Then of course as the balance of calves when reach the 5 month mark they also will be moved out. I don't have irrigation on any pasture land. I love my cows and want to continue raising cattle but feed, hay and grass is a very expensive process as I know you all know well. About twice to three times a week I feed cotton seed and cow feed (15%) mixed to them. Some older calves eat with the moms , youngest ones don't yet. All have mineral blocks of salt and sulphur and fresh water at all times. There will be 3 more calves born soon. Please give me your comments to this scenario. Also I might add that my last bale of hay was put out last week. Will liquid nitrogen grow my grass faster and how long will it last? They tell me it will be $1000 to do both pastures with the liquid. The last year chicken compost was $1440. Year before last granulated fertilizing was $1500. Why the grass won't grow in the pasture like the yard? I'll never know 🤣
Good day, you may wish to study Jim Elizondo's "Total Grazing" system for initiating long-term humus creation in the soil so you can wean yourself off of using expensive fertilizer products that do not have long term benefits.
Soil Secrets LLC makes TerraPro® and the associated Protein Crumblies® products that are proven to generate humus in the soil.
The use of herbicides and dewormers are detrimental to the long term health of the life in the soil and kills the dung beetles that can help sequester nitrogen in the soil from the cow dung.
i planted thornless hershey honey locust seedlings in my pasture this year. Their light shade will increase the growth of the bahiagrass in the summer, and the pods they produce will produce a valuable source of winter fodder.

I have 2 / 10-12 acre pastures that are just pasture grass. Mostly Bermuda grass. In the past years I have used granulated fertilizers that was mixed due to soil sample specs. Fortunately it being farm land before pasture it showed a soil sample having pretty much needing nothing but nitrogen and some sulfur. Last year I used chicken compost. Had the best crop of thistles I've ever seen. Had to spray Grazon next to kill them out. Now I'm looking this year at liquid nitrogen. My question is how long does the liquid last? Is it a once a year thing.? I have 11 cows on it and one bull, at present 8 calves. All are beef cattle consisting of Black aSngus, Charolais, Herford and Black Baldee. The older 5 months calves (3) will be moved to a calf pasture next week. Then of course as the balance of calves when reach the 5 month mark they also will be moved out. I don't have irrigation on any pasture land. I love my cows and want to continue raising cattle but feed, hay and grass is a very expensive process as I know you all know well. About twice to three times a week I feed cotton seed and cow feed (15%) mixed to them. Some older calves eat with the moms , youngest ones don't yet. All have mineral blocks of salt and sulphur and fresh water at all times. There will be 3 more calves born soon. Please give me your comments to this scenario. Also I might add that my last bale of hay was put out last week. Will liquid nitrogen grow my grass faster and how long will it last? They tell me it will be $1000 to do both pastures with the liquid. The last year chicken compost was $1440. Year before last granulated fertilizing was $1500. Why the grass won't grow in the pasture like the yard? I'll never know 🤣
We have very, verry little Bermuda here in Ohio. It is a WSG that is a perennial that is a sod former. I'm not a fan of having to fertilize any perennial stand of forage at regular intervals on a yearly, or more frequent, basis. That being said, maybe its more common or even expected in GA, but not in OH. You indicated that you have soil tested and nitrogen is the only, and yearly, problem for you. Have you given any thought to incorporating a long lasting legume into your Bermuda grass stand that could fix nitrogen on a continual basis which would then be available to the Bermuda? Maybe Bermuda is too aggressive and the legume wouldn't last long, but if it's on option, that could become a permanent solution to a reoccurring problem. Volitation is something I would consider and would want to address with a liquid nitrogen source.

We have very, verry little Bermuda here in Ohio. It is a WSG that is a perennial that is a sod former. I'm not a fan of having to fertilize any perennial stand of forage at regular intervals on a yearly, or more frequent, basis. That being said, maybe its more common or even expected in GA, but not in OH. You indicated that you have soil tested and nitrogen is the only, and yearly, problem for you. Have you given any thought to incorporating a long lasting legume into your Bermuda grass stand that could fix nitrogen on a continual basis which would then be available to the Bermuda? Maybe Bermuda is too aggressive and the legume wouldn't last long, but if it's on option, that could become a permanent solution to a reoccurring problem. Volitation is something I would consider and would want to address with a liquid nitrogen source.
What type of legume would be good in South Georgia. I had thought about oats but haven't done any thing yet.

What type of legume would be good in South Georgia. I had thought about oats but haven't done any thing yet.
Reach out to @Warren Allison directly. He's at the north (If I can say he's north since I see the stars and bars in his avitar) end of Georgia. If he isn't sure, LMK and I will get you the local contact information for my counterpart in your county. They will definitely know, and can assist you with so much more than just information on the legume, as long as you aren't opposed to getting free assistance from the federal government that your tax dollars are paying for. I work for the Natural Resource Conservation Service which is within the United States Department of Agriculture. We have a local contact for assistance in every county across the US, and US territories. If you tell me what county you are in, I can go ahead and find the contact information for my college.

Oats are not a legume...they are a grass..a grain. You could put clover in the bermuda. Or check with you county agent to see if that Bermuda/alfalfa program is still available, and if it is on your county. UGA was running a program that I know was still going on in 2022, with World Feeder bermuda developed more for grazing than hay, planted with a warm weather alfalfa they have developed. The program pays for every thing...the sprigs/seeds, 1st application of fertilizer, herbicide, ,the whole works.

Oats are not a legume...they are a grass..a grain. You could put clover in the bermuda. Or check with you county agent to see if that Bermuda/alfalfa program is still available, and if it is on your county. UGA was running a program that I know was still going on in 2022, with World Feeder bermuda developed more for grazing than hay, planted with a warm weather alfalfa they have developed. The program pays for every thing...the sprigs/seeds, 1st application of fertilizer, herbicide, ,the whole works.
If its still in place, the UGA (University of Georgia? (Extension??)) program sounds like a winner. You have your Bermuda (specific for grazing at that), with alfalfa, (your legume (inquire about how long it will last in the field, (2 years, 5 years, 10 (unlikely) years)).

What type of legume would be good in South Georgia. I had thought about oats but haven't done anything yet.

Your oats would be considered a nurse crop to assist in the Bermuda and alfalfa establishing. I'm guessing you knew oats aren't a legume, but your sentence structure makes it look like you are calling it a legume.

If you are in So. Georgia, look at what UGA recommends for a legume to go with your bermuda. Also look at what Auburn is recommending in the way of legumes. They have developed several varieties.

If its still in place, the UGA (University of Georgia? (Extension??)) program sounds like a winner. You have your Bermuda (specific for grazing at that), with alfalfa, (your legume (inquire about how long it will last in the field, (2 years, 5 years, 10 (unlikely) years)).

Your oats would be considered a nurse crop to assist in the Bermuda and alfalfa establishing. I'm guessing you knew oats aren't a legume, but your sentence structure makes it look like you are calling it a legume.
It does look like that but I meant 2 different things. One was what legume to plant. Two-I had been thinking of planting oats. I just didn't clarify the difference. It just comes with OA (old age)

I am a long way from South Georgia but here people will either broadcast Alsike clover into existing stands or add it to a mineral mix and let the cows spread it. Not sure if white and Alsike are the same thing.
Alsike seed is very competitive, the plants are just not long living.

I am a long way from South Georgia but here people will either broadcast Alsike clover into existing stands or add it to a mineral mix and let the cows spread it. Not sure if white and Alsike are the same thing.
Alsike seed is very competitive, the plants are just not long living.
I've done some work in Georgia, a loooong time ago. As for alsike and white clover being the same thing, yes and no. Alsike is a white clover, but not all white clovers are alsike.

Latest posts