Parvo dog

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
Had a dog sick with parvovirus (sp??) come in today. We've had other dogs come in with parvo, but not as bad as this pup. He was a mix: coyote, lab, shepherd, etc. cross, and thinner'n a stick. He had no chance of survival, and if he did we'd be putting in a lot of medicine in him. He'd been sick for 5 or 6 days like this, and the more days he goes on with this illness the less chance of survival he gets. The lady said he was so thin because the other dogs wouldn't let him eat. One of the girls at the clinic asked her if she'd quarantined him at all, but i dunno what the answer was, but from what I heard it sounded like she didn't. And she refused to pay for the vaccinations we'd have to give her if we tried to get him out of this, so the vet had no choice but to put him down. (And yet she could pay to have a $60 grand truck). Then the lady and her daughter with her started bawling for the dog making us feel like we're some senseless cruel bastards, but it wasn't them we were feeling sorry for, it was the dog we had to put down.

Then she calls back wanting an autopsy done on him ( :roll: ) and was asked about getting her other dogs vaccinated against parvo, but she refused that too. Wait, she's gonna come back in in a week or so whining and complaining that her other dogs are down with parvo and then sge's gonna start blaming us for it. :mad:

It goes to show ya what kinda people a vet and the people working in a vet clinic have to deal with. Some folks are good owners, others shouldn't even be owning animals.

There's my rant for the weekend.

I had a pup die from parvo back before they knew what it was or how to treat it. I still think of that little guy and how much fun he was the short time we had him. I try to forget the ugly part.

All her dogs will get it. It is really contagious. Why would she refuse to have the other dogs vaccinated? It's so easy to do every year and it will save a lot of heartache down the road. I heard that when you get the virus in your home or kennel, it's hard to get rid of and other dogs you get in future can also get Parvo. It's a rotten way for a dog to die. She has no business with dogs.

Lammie":qccp5cxd said:
All her dogs will get it.

Exactly!

It is really contagious. Why would she refuse to have the other dogs vaccinated?

Same question I was wondering...

It's so easy to do every year and it will save a lot of heartache down the road. I heard that when you get the virus in your home or kennel, it's hard to get rid of and other dogs you get in future can also get Parvo. It's a rotten way for a dog to die. She has no business with dogs.

Funny you say that, we've been getting a lot of dogs in with parvo over the summer...the latest one was today, a young chocolate lab, and he had to be put down because it was just too late to treat him. We're currently treating one too. Already I think we've had about 10 dogs come in with parvo, and out of those ten half had to be put down.

Even if you treat them, it's still dicey that they will get better and a lot of them will still die. Irresponsible creeps. If PETA wants to get on their soapbox about something, let it be irresponsible pet owners. They keep wasting their time on everything else, why not start to educate people about this sort of thing?

IluvABbeef I couldn't agree with you more. I also work at a veterinary clinic here in Tennessee and I totally know what you are talking about. It is crazy to see just how stupid and crazy some people in this world are. I have to say that I have had to deal with several clients that were almost just like this case and is makes you upset to see it, but furious at the same time. If you could only make some people understand that it is much cheaper down the road to vaccinate your pup then to not and it take the chance of them catching parvo, becoming very ill and certainly death if not treated and if treatment is chosen over euthanasia(depending on how bad the pup is) it isn't cheap.

It has a very distinct smell. It is a horrible disease, the infected dog sloughs the lining of it's intestines, making it impossible to absorb any nutrients. It causes bloody diarrhea which just gets worse and worse. If they don't bleed or starve to death first, they are also vulnerable to massive infection of the blood (toxic shock). Much easier to prevent than to treat. They need the full series of vaccinations to be immune.

fourstates":1s2ahvs8 said:
It has a very distinct smell. It is a horrible disease, the infected dog sloughs the lining of it's intestines, making it impossible to absorb any nutrients. It causes bloody diarrhea which just gets worse and worse. If they don't bleed or starve to death first, they are also vulnerable to massive infection of the blood (toxic shock). Much easier to prevent than to treat. They need the full series of vaccinations to be immune.

Yep, that smell is one that a body never forgets once you've smelt it the first time.

Latest posts