P+D or Regular 24D

Help Support CattleToday:

Soggy Bottom

Reaction score
I have always sprayed and had good results with P+d for the last several years. This year my weed problem isn't terrible and I am wondering if I can get by with regular 24D. It seems to be around $6 an acre and P+D is around $7.25 an acre. I have around 100 acres to spray. Is it worth saving $100 with reg 24D? Thanks

Soggy Bottom said:
I have always sprayed and had good results with P+d for the last several years. This year my weed problem isn't terrible and I am wondering if I can get by with regular 24D. It seems to be around $6 an acre and P+D is around $7.25 an acre. I have around 100 acres to spray. Is it worth saving $100 with reg 24D? Thanks

I don't use P+D except on fence lines.
If you have a clover or a seed bank it will kill it out. It can't tell good seed from bad.

Pretty much what cb said
P+d to get a pasture straightend out. 24d maintenance. Avoid p+d if you're planting, seeding or depending on seed bank in the next 6- 12 months.
Although some things like cedar , mesquite and pear you might as well spay with water as 24d

I agree with the others. One thing I might add is that it is late in the season to be spraying and if its real dry, you are not going to have very good results anyway no matter what you use. The plants go dormant to conserve their energy and moisture. To have good results they have to be strong and growing. The herbicides work by making the plants grow themselves to death.

At this point in my pastures, they are what they are. I'll save my herbicide money until next year. Sure I'll spot spray a few things but the big sprayer is in the barn and most likely won't come out until groundhog day.

Agree with all the above. Some additional considerations - When Grazon P+D is needed, I recommend to not exceed the recommended rate for your particular weed problem. With 2,4-D, the "more is better" approach is more forgiving. With the P+D residual, effect on seed bank, no-tilling and reseeding later in the year is increased with higher application rates. The effect on reseeding may not be noticed, but will be there. The same issue applies to overlaps on application. Overlap strip has double the rate and increases the residual. I am just saying that the application of the P+D has more implications than the 2,4-D. Selection of herbicide is important, but decisions on application rates and methods are a part of it as well.

And always use a surfactant per the label recommendations.

Consider what has been said....100 acres cost wise is $125 more for P+D. I'm guessing since you have been using P+D, clover isn't a consideration. Is $125 that a big savings for you to see a few weeds sprout up after you've sprayed?

Personally I don't use it because I want the clover... although after this year it may need to be knocked back a bit. A few weeds later on doesn't bother me.

sstterry said:
simme said:

Has anyone heard of using dish soap as a surfactant?

Yes. The question is "Should you"? The surfactant decreases the surface tension so that the spray can make better contact (stick to) the surface of the plant leaf. Dish soap is a surfactant. Most herbicides call for a non-ionic surfactant. My understanding is that dish soap is not non-ionic and may interfere with the absorption of the herbicide into the plant. Again, this is my understanding. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge will comment.

I use the surfactant recommended by the label. Pretty low cost compared to the herbicide cost. I once used a crabgrass herbicide that called for Methylated Seed Oil as the surfactant. It was not cheap (and the herbicide was not very effective).

Caustic Burno said:
sstterry said:
simme said:

Yes and you can actually be fined for it here in Texas, because it's off label use. The label is the law here.

Wow, that is harsh. But how would they catch you?

kenny thomas said:
sstterry said:
simme said:

I use it all the time. I get big bottles at Dollar General much cheaper than the surfactant. I don't know if it's perfect but I'm happy with it.
How do you keep the foaming down?

With all the time and expense that is involved in spraying, why would you scrimp on not using the correct surfactant? The surf is one of the critical parts of the mix especially when brush is involved.

sstterry said:
Caustic Burno said:
sstterry said:

Yes and you can actually be fined for it here in Texas, because it's off label use. The label is the law here.

We actually have to keep a log on the amount and the chemicals.
They do random inspections as well going to your local suppliers and pulling a license number. I only know of one fellow the guy from the TCEQ showed up at his place.

Caustic Burno said:
sstterry said:
Caustic Burno said:

We actually have to keep a log on the amount and the chemicals.
They do random inspections as well going to your local suppliers and pulling a license number. I only know of one fellow the guy from the TCEQ showed up at his place.
I have a friend that was randomly audited on his corn (they insert a color gene each year to identify which year it was). They started raising Caine and wanted to know where the corn was that should have planted 50 acres (it was wet ground and he had not planted it yet).