Over your farming career.

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
How many bales of hay do you think you have baled over your farming carreer? Silage?
I would say estimated:
60k square bales
10k round bales
Silage 200 tons

Got our first baler in 1977 and for the past 37 years I would say around 35000 bales including some custom baling for neighbors and most of it 5x5.

Over the last 14 years I would guess I baled, small squares only, ah....... Zero bales. I'm a hobby guy, I buy my hay. But since I sold most the herd last summer my hay bill is way down, just started haying cattle about a week ago. I have plenty of pasture so I am prepping my biggest pasture to hay next July, but I'll hire a someone and their equipment to bale it for me hopfully at about half the cost of buying it.

I'll have the do some figurin, cipherin, and guzintos.....wait...., is this one of those "you're just a wannabe hobby farmer unless you've bailed X amount of your own hay" questions?

Greybeard, it depends on location if your going to use hay as a judge. I know folks with 2-3 thousand moma cows and they feed no hay, been doing it that way for better than a 100 years.

greybeard":1jnqwlbo said:
I'll have the do some figurin, cipherin, and guzintos.....wait...., is this one of those "you're just a wannabe hobby farmer unless you've bailed X amount of your own hay" questions?

I am not one to judge like that I just thought it would be neat to see peoples estimates of what work they have accomplished over a farming career. I forgot its a sensitive crowd when asking stuff like that.

skyhightree1":3m8nw71r said:
greybeard":3m8nw71r said:

I am not one to judge like that I just thought it would be neat to see peoples estimates of what work they have accomplished over a farming career. I forgot its a sensitive crowd when asking stuff like that.

im sure there are a few that know exactly but most do the work required and don't keep a tally sheet so they can brag about what they have accomplished

we put up 3-4000 80lb squares a year.. been doing it for 25 years, so we're closing in on 100,000 soon.. The old NH285 baler I'm estimating has about 750,000-1,000,000 bales through it, the ceramic twine eyelets were badly worn!
In tonnage I guess we'd be around 7,000,000 lbs or 4000 metric tons...
Whatever the number is, we've handled each one of those bales at least once and probably 3 or 4 times... and it's a lot of weight

I don't personally operate the roller, but since we have been back in the farming business, our farm has produced exactly 247 rolls, and I have fed exactly 183.

Oh, and we have purchased 68 small, square bales. Whew, boy, am I tired!

I have one older baler that is showing over 25,000 rolls and a newer baler showing 5000 rolls , I sell about 1000 rolls of horse hay per year, and feed 150 head of brood cows we own , and custom bale as well.

More than 30000 round bales in the last 8 yrs dont have clue as to how many before that and small squares I would say over 50000 that I have baled personally but haven't done hardly any squares in the last 20 yrs
I know we wore out more than a few square balers when I was younger
We usually baled 50,000 squares a yr when I was a kid

Latest posts