Per acre land price in your area?

Help Support CattleToday:

Isn't it crazy how big and different this country/area is? I'm standing in a place where 3 acres to the cow will work, I come from a place where 2 acres will work, last week I was in a place last week where 6-10 will work, and Dave I reckon y'all are in a place where, what... maybe like 30 or 50 will work?
I figure about 5 acres per cow per month. I have 2 out the gate BLM allotments. Both are shared allotments so there are 2 or 3 other ranches who run their cattle right along with any of mine. That can make things interesting come time to gather in the fall.
One of my neighbors has a big allotment about 15 miles up the canyon. He drives the cattle up the road. Young calves in the spring don't travel real well so it ends up being 3 days of about 5 miles a day. Most of the canyon is very steep so there are no fences. Cattle are taken to a stopping point and everyone just stops. Some of the lead cows will go a ways until they realizethey aren't being pushed. Eventually they come back looking for their calf. We sit holding the line for several hours against cows or calves want to head back where they came from. The second day stopping point is a bit wider so on the morning of day 3 there will be cows who went across the river. Cowboys horseback with dogs will have to cross the river and get them back on the road to travel. This process is done twice with about 250 pairs each time.

We bought about 250 acres for $2,500 an acre a few years back. Now any kind of decent land around the north Georgia mountain area around Ellijay is $15,000 an acre if it's on a creek it goes to 100,000 or more !
A combination of a couple of articles being published about how great a place this is and covid made all the City people want to come here cut all the trees down, plant grass and paint their house crazy colors.
It's pretty funny they'll have five or six exterior lights on 24 hours a day which is good because it will keep the hornets from coming to my house. 😂

Nice area. We are in an area where you can go from Huntsville to New Market to Hazel Green in minutes.
Yeah, I remember you said you were in New Market. Last time I was down there that area had really gotten crowded. I came up South Parkway several years ago and it was bumper to bumper on a Sunday afternoon!

If the wife and bank would allow it I wouldn't have a neighbor for a 100 miles in any direction.
Really hard to find a place with no neighbors within 100 miles. The wife had a ranch on the Oregon Nevada line. From there you had 3 choices to go to the store. Two of them were 2 hours away and one 3 hours away but there were other ranches closer. About 25 miles to the nearest neighbor. People living 50 mile drive away were still considered neighbors. A lot of considerations living that far out. You don't just hop down to the store for a loaf of bread or a gallon of milk. The once a month trip to town involves a lot of stops.

It's doubled if not tripled here the last few years. Folks from out west are coming in droves and they're bringing plenty of money with them.
yeah...they are selling homes in their home states for $800K that could have been bought here for $100K - $200K...so they are coming in and offering a lot more than the land/homes they are buying is worth...if they decide to sell, many will be sorely disappointed. Developers are the primary culprits. They'll outbid everybody, chop down the hills and fill in the valleys...then build subdivisions. Sad to see so much agricultural land going away for subdivisions that will probably look like crap in about 5 to 10 years. Seen it too many times to count.

We bought about 250 acres for $2,500 an acre a few years back. Now any kind of decent land around the north Georgia mountain area around Ellijay is $15,000 an acre if it's on a creek it goes to 100,000 or more !
A combination of a couple of articles being published about how great a place this is and covid made all the City people want to come here cut all the trees down, plant grass and paint their house crazy colors.
It's pretty funny they'll have five or six exterior lights on 24 hours a day which is good because it will keep the hornets from coming to my house. 😂
Yeah, farming and ranching is over in Bartow County. Large tracts are $25k to $50k an acre. And the farmers remaining are taxed at these values, so any farmers left have no choice but to sell out to developers.

They just sold a farm that adjoins mine. 90 acres. $35,000/ acre plus seller receives 5% of what each lot is sold for. Developers keep trying to get mine. So far, the highest offer was $55,000/acre. I guess I'm just too stupid and stubborn. I'm in northeast TN
Price it for whatever it would take per acre to make you happy. You might scare them away or they might come with a crazy offer.

They just sold a farm that adjoins mine. 90 acres. $35,000/ acre plus seller receives 5% of what each lot is sold for. Developers keep trying to get mine. So far, the highest offer was $55,000/acre. I guess I'm just too stupid and stubborn. I'm in northeast TN
Interested in adopting an 'older' son? :)

Haha. Nah, this is going to stay a farm as long as I can keep it going. Most of it, my granddaddy bought right after the depression. I know he gave $80/acre for quite a bit of it. It's crazy and scary how much land has been developed in this area. Last week, commissioners approved another 500+ home subdivision less than 2 miles from me. I'm officially surrounded on all sides. Lots of other farmers are also surrounded. I've always heard that the most profitable crop was houses. I guess that's true. My biggest concern is I don't know where we're going to bury everybody when the time comes. You never see a new cemetery being developed.

Don't know your situation but I would hold on to it as long as humanly possible...just my two cents worth.

Farmland went from 6K in 2019 to 8K in 2021 and now easily commands 10K. Many sales nearby this past fall for 15K. SW MN/Eastern SD.
Although some inflation from investors much of the increase has been farmer on farmer violence.

My biggest concern is I don't know where we're going to bury everybody when the time comes. You never see a new cemetery being developed.
Nothing wrong with cremation. I want to be cremated, ashes put in a coffee can and used as 'white elephant' gift every Christmas. :)

Local cemetery has craziest policy I've seen.
First come, first served. All buried in straight lines, no family plots, entire cemetery is all by date of death.
Sad, but true and funny, 2 old neighbors spent a good part of their life bickering over a property line of adjoined fields of their farms. Each year whoever got out first would plant on/over the line. Both died last month 2 days apart and buried in line at the cemetery.
:)

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with cremation. I want to be cremated, ashes put in a coffee can and used as 'white elephant' gift every Christmas. :)

Local cemetery has craziest policy I've seen.
First come, first served. All buried in straight lines, no family plots, entire cemetery is all by date of death.
Sad, but true and funny, 2 old neighbors spent a good part of their life bickering over a property line of adjoined fields of their farms. Each year whoever got out first would plant on/over the line. Both died last month 2 days apart and buried in line at the cemetery.
:)
no burial or cremation for me...I want to go to the taxidermist.

Latest posts