Per acre land price in your area?

Help Support CattleToday:

smartin0022

Reaction score
I drove home to dads place today to weld on his dozer. Most of the big tracts are subdivided or for sale. Saw 30 acres of pasture ridge and hillside for sale used to be the Cull farm was 240ish acres, now its busted up. That 30 acre tract is listed for 499,000. This is a piece of ground that is old cattle pasture had a bunch of santigertrudis cows on it when I was a younger man (im only 35). That's $16,630 an acre, makes me sick. What's land going for around your area per acre? What did that land cost 25 years ago? Where are you located? Dad bought our home place in 1995 for $1,000 an acre in central ky 80 acre tract of a subdivided 500 acres tract.

I drove home to dads place today to weld on his dozer. Most of the big tracts are subdivided or for sale. Saw 30 acres of pasture ridge and hillside for sale used to be the Cull farm was 240ish acres, now its busted up. That 30 acre tract is listed for 499,000. This is a piece of ground that is old cattle pasture had a bunch of santigertrudis cows on it when I was a younger man (im only 35).

That's $16,630 an acre, makes me sick.
Dad bought our home place in 1995 for $1,000 an acre in central ky, 80 acre tract
Our county requires 5 acre minimum to build a home outside of city limits, but the next county over requires 40 acre minimum.
I assume at 16,630 per acre it can be subdivided for housing to build a half dozen or so homes
4 or 5 yrs ago a cousin had a 40 acre corn field abutting a growing city and zoned commercial, I forget the value, but they were talking price per foot not per acre.
Does it make you sick to know what your Dad's 80 acres are worth?

Last edited:
I paid a hair over $700 an acre 5 years ago. One of my neighbors was offered the place about 30 years ago for a little under $300 an acre with zero down and very low owner contract interest. He turned it down said he didn't know how he could make it work. Now it is probably $1,000 an acre maybe more.

Our county requires 5 acre minimum to build a home outside of city limits, but the next county over requires 40 acre minimum.
I assume at 16,630 per acre it can be subdivided for housing to build a half dozen or so homes
4 or 5 yrs ago a cousin had a 40 acre corn field abutting a growing city and zoned commercial, I forget the value, but they were talking price per foot not per acre.
Does it make you sick to know what your Dad's 80 acres are worth?
Makes me sick to see all the houses and knowing it'll never be farmland again. 5 acre used to be the rule in dads county, I'm not sure what the rule is now. I know they made farms into subdivisions close to him so something changed. Sure, dads place is now worth alot of money but I don't care about that. I care about my children's way of life. I wish my kids could have the life I had the fortune to enjoy. Playing in creeks catching crawfish, fishing ponds, frog gigging, working in tobacco for the neighbors. Sad to know around here that's gone for common folks. I make a better than average wage for a 35 year old. I live hour and 30 minutes from dad, I paid $4,000 an acre for my ground 5 years ago. My 3 kids won't be able to buy a sq ft of ground in 10 years at this rate. Just disheartening to me. Wondering if this is everywhere seems alot of folks from New Jersey, California and New York are buying up the ground according to dad. I hate it, born in the wrong generation I guess.

In 2011, I purchased 22 acres to retire on and have a few cows to watch and play with. $115,000 or $5200/acre. 200 acres of farmland behind me had sold about 10 years prior for $2500/acre. About 200 acres across the road had sold to the same farmer a little prior to that for $2000/acre.

I was also renting 14 acres (10 acres in pasture) a few miles away. That allowed me to separate the weaning calves from the cows and gave a little flexibility. That 14 acres was purchased by an absentee landowner about 20 years ago for $50,000. Last August, I saw a for sale sign on the property one day when I went to check cows. $200,000 or about $14,000/acre. Young couple with a couple kids bought it. Drives a jacked up F350 that an old guy would need a stepladder to get into. Was in a hurry to get his septic permit. Placed flags for location of house and septic tank. Had the flags for the septic tank uphill from the house site. One thing I learned from my work career is that stuff runs downhill, not uphill. (Septic systems here are simple gravity systems - no pumps or zoned drain fields.) Problem is that there are too many people now. Many of our problems are related to having too many people.

prices have dropped a little in the last 2-3 months but I bought 17.3 ac in 2009 for 33K. Improved it just a little by having about 5 ac of timber cut off and cleaned up & Sold it in 2015 for $120K. In 2021, with a 2 bdr no windows barndominium built on it, it sold for $320K even tho it had 4 ft of water in it in 2017 then fully rebuilt inside.
Sold my 40ac place last may for over 400K with a 2 bdr house on it, fully fenced, crossfenced and the usual small farm outbuildings on it.
In 2007, before I cleared and made improvements and built the house, it was privately appraised for $58K.

Took 3 days to sell. Sister right beside me sold her 40 ac of raw forest, mostly no fence and got $240K, appraised in 2007 for 68k and all of it (hers and mine) is in 100 yr flood plain. It sold in less than a week.
All that is still in ag (leased for cattle) as far as I know.

Class "A" farm ground is avg $15,000 an acre, and its staying farm ground. Pasture land is over $4,000 but most of the time an excavator shows up the next day to pull fences and tear out trees. The tractor jockeys will farm anything.

In 2001 I bought a 1/4 for 10k about $65.00/ac. Right now cattle land is between $400 and $600/ac. But you don't have to go far and them prices more than double, better land and closer to town.

I bought a 40 2 years back for $750 an acre. That price went up a little since then but has started to hold steady/drop ever so slightly.

Hoping to buy 280a across the road from my place this spring. See if the neighbor and my idea of value are in the ballpark.

I bought a 40 2 years back for $750 an acre. That price went up a little since then but has started to hold steady/drop ever so slightly.

Hoping to buy 280a across the road from my place this spring. See if the neighbor and my idea of value are in the ballpark.
I'm hoping to buy the 170 acres that's backs my place. Will see how market looks I was told $450,000 might get it a few years ago pre covid. If it was to go for sale b4 the market drops then I couldn't touch it for less than a million in this market and I could barely afford it at the pre covid valuation. I prefer not to have neighbors but at some point it just isn't feasible. The guy who tenant farms it now is great and we get along well. I'd hate for it to end up in a city person or deer hunters hands. Around here the deer hunters will group up and buy a tract like that and split the bill between 5 or six guys. I lost a 193 acre lease to deer hunters last season. We got out of state people coming in and leasing up all these farms to hunt on for the chance at a big buck. Problem is they kill a 150" deer 1st year and then lock the place down forever to all farming and agriculture.

I bought my place in NW Arkansas for $687.50 an acre with a three bedroom house, two ponds, a spring fed well, and an old barn. That was in 1980.

I bought the place in South Dakota for $833.33 an acre. About half irrigated, 120x120 barn, 40x80 shop, two bedroom house with an unfinished full basement, other outbuildings, creek, big pond. I'd seen places priced up to 4K/acre when I bought but they were closer to urban centers.

What I don't get is how everyone builds in the bottoms over the best soil. Later, after all the good ground is covered in asphalt and houses the sides of the hills are called view lots and command big prices... and the first thing a buyer does after building a house is to plant so many trees that they can't see the view.

I had some commercial zoned lots in Kingman, AZ that I couldn't give away. It took me about fifteen years to realize a decent profit. A 2 acre piece I had in Nevada sold for 187K two years after I bought it for 30k.

I bought my place in NW Arkansas for $687.50 an acre with a three bedroom house, two ponds, a spring fed well, and an old barn. That was in 1980.

I bought the place in South Dakota for $833.33 an acre. About half irrigated, 120x120 barn, 40x80 shop, two bedroom house with an unfinished full basement, other outbuildings, creek, big pond. I'd seen places priced up to 4K/acre when I bought but they were closer to urban centers.

What I don't get is how everyone builds in the bottoms over the best soil. Later, after all the good ground is covered in asphalt and houses the sides of the hills are called view lots and command big prices... and the first thing a buyer does after building a house is to plant so many trees that they can't see the view.

I had some commercial zoned lots in Kingman, AZ that I couldn't give away. It took me about fifteen years to realize a decent profit. A 2 acre piece I had in Nevada sold for 187K two years after I bought it for 30k.
You might like to watch urban sprawl on YouTube I believe it's on angus TV. Pretty sad but also very informative.

You might like to watch urban sprawl on YouTube I believe it's on angus TV. Pretty sad but also very informative.
It's "Losing Ground" urban sprawl a documentary by Angus TV on YouTube I looked it up to be sure. 1.5 million acres a year, 175 acres an hour, 3 acres a minute in the U.S.A lost to urban sprawl and development.

I'll cash out and got to Uruguay. Just kidding. I bought for 1.9K in 2016 and now people down the road are selling for 8K.

I bought my original 100 acre farm for $425 ac. In 1978.
Bought an adjoining 58 ac out of a county tax repo for $1000/ac in ? 2005. 18 ac woods and creek and 30 ac crop ground.
Do not know what things are selling for now.

Last edited:
One of our neighbors passed recently, his 80 acres of ex-pasture (now 20 years of regrowth, lot of 6" locust, hedge, cedar, and other nasty crap), was listed for 300k. 3-4k an acre seems to be in the ballpark for most pasture ground here (SW MO).

Get closer to the bigger cities and the price goes way up for good lots, can be up towards 10k an acre.

The high amount of rental properties and out of state buyers haven't done good things for the market, unless you purchased a few years ago and are looking to sell.

Last edited:
It's "Losing Ground" urban sprawl a documentary by Angus TV on YouTube I looked it up to be sure. 1.5 million acres a year, 175 acres an hour, 3 acres a minute in the U.S.A lost to urban sprawl and development.
You are exactly correct about the concern of urban sprawl. The other thing that really concerns me is when I drive thru the Arkansas and Mississippi delta (arguably the best farm land in the world) and see acres and acres of solar panels. Really?