Per acre land price in your area?

Help Support CattleToday:

South Central Ky. It varies alot as we have very diverse ground. Really good high yeilding row crop ground, pasture only, and wood land. It can go from one extreme to the next in a few miles. And you will likely will have to buy some junk acres with a farm purchase. In the county im in i would say crop ground 4500-7. Pasture 2500 up. Where i am in the county is lot of crop ground, and pockets of what holds the world together. three miles down the road across county line add 10-20 percent This is not getting chopped up usually bought by bto's and going into their operations. Some of the smaller tracts and less productive land is bought by people moving here from the north. A farm I bought in 2012 seemed on the high side then has probably doubled in value. I want more but not sure it will work out for me

You can find 5K per acre here if you look hard and long. I paid 1600 per acre for 173 in 2006 and 2500 for 25 in 2008.

Some acreage here is bringing $30,000/acre. Crazy.
Foot of the Big Horn Mountains, Wyoming. Sickening.

Where did all these people come from?
🤷‍♂️ but they seem to wanna not be there anymore and I totally get that. Just makes it tougher on us to continue to afford our way of life. Used to be status was to live in the city with fancy things, now its to live in the country with fancy things. IMO TV shows have driven alot of people outside city limits because it is the cool thing to do. Maybe it'll change before it gets worse, I doubt it.

Some acreage here is bringing $30,000/acre. Crazy.
Foot of the Big Horn Mountains, Wyoming. Sickening.

Where did all these people come from?
I had a job offer from Jackson Lake Lodge to wrangle their rental horses right out of high school. Even then Jackson was high dollar. My life would have been very different if my draft number wasn't 3, and I had taken that job.

I've seen a lot of good places ruined by some rich guy coming in and building a giant house and expensive outbuildings and using it for a tax write-off. Then they want to sell and no one that actually wants to work it can afford it because of the buildings.

One of the problems I've seen with the city people moving out to the country, is they complain about farmers spreading manure. Complain about the mud that gets on the road. Complains about how the neighbor farm smells. Complains about how dirty the neighbor farm is. Well, it might be, but they were there before you moved in!!

One of the problems I've seen with the city people moving out to the country, is they complain about farmers spreading manure.... the mud about how dirty the farm is. Well, it might be, but they were there before you moved in!!
Yup, and the settlers complained about the Indians and their stinkin' buffalo, and that all got worked out with time and city folk will get it all worked out with the farmers too, just give it time. :) "Change is the only constant in life." - Benjamin Franklin

One of the problems I've seen with the city people moving out to the country, is they complain about farmers spreading manure. Complain about the mud that gets on the road. Complains about how the neighbor farm smells. Complains about how dirty the neighbor farm is. Well, it might be, but they were there before you moved in!!
You should quit doing all that stuff and making your neighbors mad.

Where I grew up in the 60's was all farms of one sort or another. It is all houses and has been for some time now. I got out of there in 1980 and moved to a quiet farm community about mid way between Seattle and Portland. Well that turned in houses. So I sold out and bought this place. The sprawl isn't coming here. It is 30 miles from the nearest grocery store or gas station. Those city people are wanting to get out but not out this far. There is a 160 acres on my east side that is for sale. They are asking $495,000. It has power and water (spring). A nice building site (an old single wide that is a wreck). And 30 acres of sorry irrigated ground. The rest is steep sage brush covered hill that wouldn't support 4 cows. A few people looked at it but only one look.

Where I grew up in the 60's was all farms of one sort or another. It is all houses and has been for some time now. I got out of there in 1980 and moved to a quiet farm community about mid way between Seattle and Portland. Well that turned in houses. So I sold out and bought this place. The sprawl isn't coming here. It is 30 miles from the nearest grocery store or gas station. Those city people are wanting to get out but not out this far. There is a 160 acres on my east side that is for sale. They are asking $495,000. It has power and water (spring). A nice building site (an old single wide that is a wreck). And 30 acres of sorry irrigated ground. The rest is steep sage brush covered hill that wouldn't support 4 cows. A few people looked at it but only one look.
At what price would it pay for itself with no other income for payments?
Even though our land is cheap compared to some there isn't an acre here that will pay for itself at 3,000 an acre. Actually I doubt it would pay for itself at 1,500 an acre.

Last edited:
Is that a misprint? Or $3300 per acre?
Not a misprint...sadly...$30,000.
That's not per acre for big ranches, but they are extremely high too.

There is one for sale that is 40.4 acres for $55,000/acre.

Here's one for sale, $3141/acre but it's VERY REMOTE. Nice country, but not big enough to run many cows out there. https://carrollrealtyco.com/properties/6367-TBDBitter-Creek-Recluse-Wyoming-82725-22-963/

Last edited:
We have some programs here referred to as conservation easements. Basically you agree to having deed restrictions placed on your property permanently prohibiting any development for residential or industrial use. In return, you get a big chunk of money. One of the programs here is run by an environmentalist group that raises private money for fairly remote woodlands, land along rivers and lakes and such. But there is a government USDA program that several local farmers have participated in that pays a pretty significant amount for agreement to not develop the land. The land owner grants the conservation easement to the county Soil and Water Conservation District. There have been several properties purchased locally and then entered into this program with the program covering a majority of the purchase price. Do you guys in other areas have these programs?

Here is information on one property in that program. 121 acres entered that program in December, 2010. Owner was paid $289,480 for granting the easement. Property must not be converted to non-agricultural use. No new construction with some exceptions for agricultural purposes. Existing structures (old barn) may be repaired or replaced in current locations. All structures, improvements, paved or gravel roads, and parking areas cannot total more than 2.43 acres. No new house ever allowed. The owner's house and 1 acre were not part of the agreement. Property cannot ever be subdivided.

A few years later, the owner decides to sell the property minus his house. With the house restriction, a buyer can't live on the property. A buyer can't build chicken houses on the property or other ag operations that require significant buildings. That reduced the interest in the property. The land sold to an adjacent property owner/farmer that just added a gate in the fence between his pasture and the property. That buyer has several hundred acres and I think most of it is in this program. Buyer's brother had purchased the 200 acres behind me and the 200 acres across the road from me and those went into this program as well.

Are these programs common across the country?

There are programs like that in Virginia. It pays big near the populated areas. They won't even look at my area.
Another program pays to keep it in productive timberland.

Even though our land is cheap compared to some there isn't an acre here that will pay for itself at 3,000 an acre. Actually I doubt it would pay for itself at 1,500 an acre.
Several neighbors have said they would be interested in the $800-$900 an acre range.

I figure pasture is worth the price of three good cows for every number of acres that can support a cow. For easy arithmetic, if cows are $1000 and you can find a place that grows enough grass to support one cow per acre, it's worth $3,000 per acre. If it will only support a cow on six acres it's worth $500 an acre.

If course the next question is what you would pay... or get... for a good cow.

We have some programs here referred to as conservation easements. Basically you agree to having deed restrictions placed on your property permanently prohibiting any development for residential or industrial use. In return, you get a big chunk of money. One of the programs here is run by an environmentalist group that raises private money for fairly remote woodlands, land along rivers and lakes and such. But there is a government USDA program that several local farmers have participated in that pays a pretty significant amount for agreement to not develop the land. The land owner grants the conservation easement to the county Soil and Water Conservation District. There have been several properties purchased locally and then entered into this program with the program covering a majority of the purchase price. Do you guys in other areas have these programs?

Here is information on one property in that program. 121 acres entered that program in December, 2010. Owner was paid $289,480 for granting the easement. Property must not be converted to non-agricultural use. No new construction with some exceptions for agricultural purposes. Existing structures (old barn) may be repaired or replaced in current locations. All structures, improvements, paved or gravel roads, and parking areas cannot total more than 2.43 acres. No new house ever allowed. The owner's house and 1 acre were not part of the agreement. Property cannot ever be subdivided.

A few years later, the owner decides to sell the property minus his house. With the house restriction, a buyer can't live on the property. A buyer can't build chicken houses on the property or other ag operations that require significant buildings. That reduced the interest in the property. The land sold to an adjacent property owner/farmer that just added a gate in the fence between his pasture and the property. That buyer has several hundred acres and I think most of it is in this program. Buyer's brother had purchased the 200 acres behind me and the 200 acres across the road from me and those went into this program as well.

Are these programs common across the country?
They exist but get complicated out west.

Round here they don't like us shooting. The sheriff was called on my father and I one day because we were sighting in our deer rifles at his place. Sherif wasn't upset with us, though.

Was impressed with Texas laws protecting the rancher. As long as you do your best to maintain your fences, you're pretty protected by the right to ranch/farm laws, even if your livestock get out and get hit by a car and such.

Latest posts