The last half acre

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm actually trying a "new" old model here that my great grandparents used to use. Basically, the property is selectively cut in certain areas at certain times, understocked, there are fenced in crop fields that are let into for two-fold grazing, the selective cuts are used for middling quality hay and the rest is taken up in gin trash and other crop baleage on the cheap. I'll let you know how it goes.

For all that wonder, this land is the land left to me by my grandfather. It is deeded in a no-sale trust for 25 years with me as the trust manager and deed holder at the end.

I started feeding the majority of my cows this year around the 1st of January and will likely feed them through March, so roughly 270 days or so here. My stockpile was pretty good this year, and we haven't had any real snow to speak of. A good snow in December can change all of that pretty quick.

I'm actually trying a "new" old model here that my great grandparents used to use. Basically, the property is selectively cut in certain areas at certain times, understocked, there are fenced in crop fields that are let into for two-fold grazing, the selective cuts are used for middling quality hay and the rest is taken up in gin trash and other crop baleage on the cheap. I'll let you know how it goes.

For all that wonder, this land is the land left to me by my grandfather. It is deeded in a no-sale trust for 25 years with me as the trust manager and deed holder at the end.
We've got similar stories. My grandfather was probably the meanest sob in central Texas. But he sure loved me, and vise versa.

Glad you got family land.

We are still using mobile water troughs but did take a break in December with the cold. Helps avoid plugging and muddy trails. On freezing nights that means pulling hose and draining so it is work.

Glad you got family land.

We are still using mobile water troughs but did take a break in December with the cold. Helps avoid plugging and muddy trails. On freezing nights that means pulling hose and draining so it is work.
Oof. Always been lucky there, on that parcel it is entirely horseshoed by a creek and there's a pond on the upper end, nary a drop has had to be put unto a trough for horse nor cow one on that property. At the place me and my grandfather used to run our joint herd on until shortly enough before he passed, we did have one trough but that's it, because it had a pond on one end and a creek on the other running through it. I do not envy your work but ya have to do what you have to do.

I had a stretch between January 2012 and November 2013 I didn't have to feed hay. But that was on the heels of feeding 3 years worth over 18 months in 2010 and 2011 AND reducing mouths from 120 to 27.

Been out of pocket this week. Hopefully when I get back home their will still be hay in the rings. I usually can stop feeding in the middle of February. If lucky enough (it rains some between July and November) I won't have to start feeding again till December. Maybe not then if it doesn't freeze off.

Don't feel too bad kids do most of work. Switched it up and started paying them.

The next step is buying a tow behind bale unroller. Tractor is too heavy except in driest parts of winter. So for now we set out bales with a tractor then as we expose with lines and reels unroll by hand.

Latest posts