Our bulls are become non-producing after 2 breeding seasons.

Help Support CattleToday:

janashelby

Reaction score
We have 4 bulls for 50 head of heifers/cows. We have bought Bulls from various bloodlines. After 2 breeding seasons, they become ineffective. This has happened in a pen we have kept up to 50 bulls in for 40 years. No trouble until last 6 years. Any ideas as to why a Bull would be basically sterile or not virile after the 2 rounds of breeding. They are in an open area. We are located in the Midwest. Good Hay provided. Spring water....fed daily with a ddg/soy pellet. MFA super10 mineral provided for free choice.

TennesseeTuxedo":2n4q4zz7 said:
4 bulls for 50 cow/heifers?

You might be just a tad "over-bulled".

I thought the same thing. They probably spend more time fighting over who gets to breed on than actually breeding , Of course That's just My speculation and not intended to insult the new poster. Welcome to the forum

TennesseeTuxedo":3cmysj1k said:

This is a very valid point! I would still do a BSE on your bulls to determine if it is the actual bulls or some other factor. What do you mean by ineffective? Are your cows not bred? There are a number of factors that could contribute to this... STD's, Trich, etc., Start with the BSE exam for your bulls and work with your vet to determine the actual cause.

:welcome: to the boards!

Even with bulls fighting, they should bred some cows. I know the heat can affecting the bull's fertility sometimes.

How long has it been going on? Are some of the cows getting bred? Are the cows currently open for the first time? I see by your reference to MFA that you must be in Missouri. Last Feb and Mar we were really cold with snow and several days of ice. If they were laying directly on the ground without any hay for insulation that might could have done it. If a large amont are open with some calving you might have an STD. Were they virgin bulls when you got them? Have you bought some short bred cows at a sale barn? Just a few thoughts.

TennesseeTuxedo":1wqn1bhx said:

You think maybe they're spending too much time fightin' and not enough time f _ _ _ _ !!!!!

We have thought about the testicles freezing but the bulls are in the same area that they have been for 40 years. As many as 50 have been in this pasture. Fed daily, good hay/pasture/free choice mineral. Vet is out routinely at least twice a year. Preg testing, vaccines, etc. Testing was done when we aquired the bulls and then after the issue occurred. Different Bulls for different cows/heifers. Red Angus..they are not put in the same areas. Bulls can't get together to fight. We put 2 hereford Bulls in for the Spring cows we have currently. But we want to go back to our Angus. Cows herd is 70% red Angus, 20% black Angus, and 10% are mixed. Genetics may have played a part? The bulls that went bad were from the same farm. We are purchasing a black and red Angus bull from different lines. Just was seeing what everybody else thought. We are switching mineral to Purina and feed also. Plus we put our Avail4 tubs yesterday to hopefully increase sperm production. Just think I am missing part of the equation. We are not new to raising cattle. We keep a herd of about 300 black/red Angus at another farm and have no problems there. I appreciate all comments and am not insulted. This herd is a starter herd for a friend and trying to help him out.

In different pastures and can't get to each other. Miles apart. Appreciate the thought though

Are they fed up or are they range ready? The clue for me was when you said they came from the same supplier. I've seen lots of bulls flat fall apart when they go from being fed like a steer to covering cows. They melt and whenever their energy levels are going backwards just plan on fertility doing the same.
If you like the cattle from that supplier try to buy the bulls earlier in the season and back them off on feed and give them a pasture where they can fight and move around a bit and get them fit enough to go breed a bunch of cows before you turn them out.

Purchasing Angus bulls with different bloodlines. They were getting about a pound a day of feed, pasture, hay, mineral....and they stay together until we place them with the group that they are supposed to breed. The Vet and I are beginning to think that it is not just one thing but a combo of things. So we are regrouping and going from there. It was rather costly though....but what can you do...move on and fix the problems. Thank you for your response.

Split them up so they're not grouped together prior to breeding season. I always had problems with bulls of the same age and source splitting away from each other to go cover ground. Devide them up with the herefords and when they're penned up prior to breeding keep them close to the cows to keep their libido up.

Any chance they are breeding the cows, but they're sloughing the embryos?

Have you checked the girls for neospora?

We've seen that in a few and are hearing is more and more of a problem. It's simple blood test; you know the answer pretty quick. Don't sell the affected cattle at a sale barn where someone might try to breed them, thereby making the local problem worse. Sell them straight to the packer / feedlot.

Good luck!

Any chance your mineral program is lacking in some way? It may be a contributing factor. Prior to testing and breeding season, we give all of our bulls extra A,D&E feed top dress to boost semen quality and production. Also, we have had issues with young (yearling) bulls that were penned together "playing" far too much prior to testing and resulted in lower production at test. Simply splitting them up in smaller groups with one aged bull in each was enough to reduce the wasteful behavior and increase test results. Just some thoughts. :2cents:

Latest posts