Options---question for you

Help Support CattleToday:

I could never score a chic as hot as somn did. big no on the tennesse master beef fella as well.

Well yesterday LimiMan siad I was a big chicken something or other, hypocrite,lair. does that count? That man might struggle with math but he is very quick with insults.
nothing wrong with that when they are warranted.

I was thinking "what?".

options...for the locked thread....

I think the retail price should be determined in the local area, then sell for less of a price than retail if possible. This should maximize revenue and make the customer happy. You could do the same, correct?

HerefordSire":3t16x1fc said:
I was thinking "what?".

i]

Options already said he wasn't.

I am trying to put my finger on it as things are very familiar. But options makes some very good points nonetheless.

Off topic on this post but related to the locked one:

Options - I base my price on beef the same as you do. I just don't feel right about selling my fats to a packer for $.85 and turn around and sell a pen mate to my family and friends for more than that. For that reason alone I have avoided direct marketing more than a few head a year more as a favor than anything else.

I don't have enough cattle to sell a pot load at a time and usually sell in trailer loads of 15 at a time through a sale barn but do have contacts with a buyer that I talk to and he usually buys them. When I do direct market some fats I save on hauling costs, selling fees, and yardage but not enough to make it worth the hassle when it is only 2 or 3 head.

I believe you said you direct market around 300 head per year. Why do you do this? Or can you direct market in quantities large enough to make the savings worth your time? Do you advertise and try to sell as many as possible this way? Sorry if you already addressed this in the other post, but I didn't want to wade through it.

Thanks,
Chris

chris I do not advertise been doing it for so long it is just a yearly thing. I do this mostly as a convience for the locals I make the same regardless they get beef cheaper than the store. My customer range from people I see everyday on the road to people I see once a year when they pay me. I have old couples who pay with cash to young couples who make payments. I have couples who can't pay but know how to work so we trade. If I had to take the time to haul the 3 head a day into the processors I might not do so many this way but currently a retired farmer does it for free he is a coffee drinker and drove into town everyday anyway.

Latest posts