opinion on ral-gro

Help Support CattleToday:

pits4life

Reaction score
I worked calves today at work and we used ralgro (a type of growth stimulant) on our steers only,not sure if it is used on heifers due to lactating ,would appreciate all responses on this subject,i am new to seeing cattle i believe done the right way and would love you alls input on this subject....

thx kt and bd, that is what my boss believed that it does and i would say he is my biggest influence on how to raise mine and the do's and dont's here from you all ,i just want to learn the best way to manage cattle within my budget which isnt much lol and i see the outcome of his experience in his cattle....

There are much better implants than Ralgro. Ralgro will add some pounds but isn't the biggest bang for the buck.

pits4life":2rc57mws said:
what would you suggest novaman and what is the cost and what is the gain....
I don't use implants so I can't give you any figures. I've just talked with neighbors who have done experimenting between the different implants and found that Ralgro is just slightly better than no implant. Synovex and Revalor resulted in more pounds gained and while more expensive per dose, they did achieve better returns per pound of gain.

thx nova im not sure what them products are or any really i am new to this in this concern and alot other parts too lol but i am seeking all the info i can get and absorb, thx....

I use Ralgro. One thing you want to make sure, if you keep back heffers as breeding stock, don't implant them. It says so on the box. There is a type of implant you can use on them, but I just don't implant replacement heffers at all.

I had my vet explain it this way. If you implant them with ralgro once in a heffer, you will delay puberty on them, they may become breeding stock eventually, but it really messes with their bilogical clock. If you implant them twice, you will delay puberty on them permanently.

I don't know how effective it is, but it's not terribly expensive. I do it because my dad always did. I have a neighbor who feeds out yearlings, and he implants them as often as he can according to the label.

Latest posts