Open House Bull Sale Format

Help Support CattleToday:

I hope you do well! I like the succinct information. I think giving good information beats a lot of advertisement.

That gumbo and ribeye sandwhich sounds amazing!

It is an interesting buying format. What made you decide to go this route and not the traditional auction style?

What will you do with the bulls that are not sold, if any?

Our son Jacob is the one that came up with the format. I will be able to tell you on January 5th how it works out lol. I honestly think it is a pretty cool way to have a sale. We are also selling 20 head of bred heifers I have a catalog of them if anyone wants me to post it. 15 registered 5 commercial. I use to make Gumbo for all the folks in the livestock barn at the fair every year the night after the steer sale. It was always a big hit, I don't know if it was really as good as they said. Truth be told after five days of fair food it probably was a nice change for sure. The Ribeye sandwiches are a recipe from our County Extension agent and they are really good. The boss has been working his tail off getting pens set up but it is all coming together. I am really looking forward to it.

Anything not sold that day will be sold the way we have always done it one or two at a time as customers call.

Gizmom

The format is typically referred to as a "cow boy" auction e.g. friendly & leisurely, slow placed selling atmosphere. Used it for years. Easy on the animals, seller & buyer.

I like this type of buying format. The sale I will be attending in December is similar. Bulls are penned and bidding sheets for each bull with a minimum bid is placed on the pens. To outbid the highest bidder simply write your name and bid on the next line, $100 increments. If a bid is placed in the final ten minutes of the auction, that lot gets time added.
One interesting thing at this auction is that they don't let you take your bulls home, they keep them until closer to breeding season. I think the reason is they want to ensure that the bulls are in proper form in the spring and avoid the possible complaints / problems from people who may mismanage the bulls and then blame the seller.

gizmom said:
Well come on down Ron no simangus but plenty of food and fellowship! Face it the best part of the cattle business is the friendships we make!

Gizmom

Thank you very much. I go to Boyd's sales and they don't have sinangus. I really would like to come down.

Gizmom,
It is a long way for me to travel but I will be there to try the gumbo.. Good luck the format looks good. I like all the performance info to go with the EPDs and pedigree.

There is a ranch out here in Oregon that uses a similar style of sale for its annual bull and heifer sale; it's a "Cowboy Auction." Each bull or heifer has a minimum base price that the farm or ranch will sell that animal for. If there are no bidders, the animal goes unsold. If there is only one bidder, they purchase that animal for the minimum base price. If there is more than one bidder, then they increase the bid in a pre-determined increment amount ($100, $200, $250, something like that) until only one bidder remains. It is a very low pressure way to sell. A lot of people like it, and for first-time auction purchasers, it is an easy way to buy. Sometimes it is tough for a first-timer to understand the auctioneer's chants, etc., and get caught up in the auction frenzy. I like what you are doing ... the cattle sound great and and the food sounds amazing!

Luckiamute said:
There is a ranch out here in Oregon that uses a similar style of sale for its annual bull and heifer sale; it's a "Cowboy Auction." Each bull or heifer has a minimum base price that the farm or ranch will sell that animal for. If there are no bidders, the animal goes unsold. If there is only one bidder, they purchase that animal for the minimum base price. If there is more than one bidder, then they increase the bid in a pre-determined increment amount ($100, $200, $250, something like that) until only one bidder remains. It is a very low pressure way to sell. A lot of people like it, and for first-time auction purchasers, it is an easy way to buy. Sometimes it is tough for a first-timer to understand the auctioneer's chants, etc., and get caught up in the auction frenzy. I like what you are doing ... the cattle sound great and and the food sounds amazing!

I couldn't agree more! I've never been to a cattle auction to buy, never will. I'm not knowledgeable enough to judge cattle quickly enough to know if I'm getting a good deal or hosed, and if I make a mistake and get a wild one I'm not set up for it at home. I also feel like, because I'm not practiced in the auction format enough, that I'd be over paying for something. But a format like this gives me time to think, analyze, walk among the cattle and pick and choose at a pace that would make me feel more comfortable. I wish I was closer b/c it would be great to go check out their place and cattle.

gizmom said:
Well come on down Ron no simangus but plenty of food and fellowship! Face it the best part of the cattle business is the friendships we make!

Gizmom

But you have the perfect solution to making a SimAngus. One of Ron's Simmental X one of Gizmom's angus...!

We turned the bulls out onto the green patch for the first time today couldn't help but take a few photos. Nothing prettier than Black cattle on green grass at least for me!

Of course the cull calf has to be standing right in the front, notice he didn't get a freeze brand he didn't make the cut as a yearling. nice calf just not enough of him.

One of my favorites a Reign that is looking really good to me.

gizmom

We turned the bulls out onto the green patch for the first time today couldn't help but take a few photos. Nothing prettier than Black cattle on green grass at least for me!

Of course the cull calf has to be standing right in the front, notice he didn't get a freeze brand he didn't make the cut as a yearling. nice calf just not enough of him.

One of my favorites a Reign that is looking really good to me.

gizmom

Latest posts