One to make the beginners Happy

Help Support CattleToday:

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":emqzcbsw said:
Good to hear your okay Caustic. I do find it hard to believe that YOU of all people got yourself in that position.

Had a little inversion moment few teeth marks and I snapped right out of it.

I know Camp hasn't been around much lately. You sure are lucky he was there for you when you needed him. Can't beat having good neighbors, can you old buddy?

Farmhand":3ta24tn9 said:
Sure am sorry to hear you got hurt Caustic and glad to hear you're patched up and on the mend. I have absolutely 0 knowledge of wild hogs. Could you fill me in some? How much different are they than domestic hogs? How hard to kill, disposition, litters, etc.

They ain't hard to kill in the pasture 45-70 rolls em up in a pretty tight ball 22 does fine in the trap just draw an X.
Now these are hateful demoms, think of them as a small bulldoze with a very bad attitude, the nocturnal little demons can make a hayfield look like its been bombed in one night.
These rooters will fight you at the drop of a hat, first response is flight then comes fight. I have killed several with 4 inch dog cutters.

Texan":1j77ms0f said:
I know Camp hasn't been around much lately. You sure are lucky he was there for you when you needed him. Can't beat having good neighbors, can you old buddy?

No you sure can't he has been here. We are going to talk about that X spot, boy can shoot and I know them hogs were jumpin all around but he got off a little on that gilt totally unacceptable. That dang new little Jack Russell of his had them hogs worked up trying to eat them hogs in that trap. Dang little dogs ain't scared of anything, thats why they don't last to long. He says it is a grizzly bear dog, says he ain't seen a grizzly since he got it.

WOW! I'm thinkin' you got lucky just gettin' what you got from that hog. I've seen some nasty stuff from domestic hogs. Sounds like these things are waaaaaaay worse. You can keep those things. I'm glad I don't have first hand knowledge of them. Did Doc put you on meds? Do you have to worry about complications because of what bit you?

Farmhand":1f9rmpkj said:
WOW! I'm thinkin' you got lucky just gettin' what you got from that hog. I've seen some nasty stuff from domestic hogs. Sounds like these things are waaaaaaay worse. You can keep those things. I'm glad I don't have first hand knowledge of them. Did Doc put you on meds? Do you have to worry about complications because of what bit you?

Stitches, Antibiotics,(la200) drain tube and a rabies shot for me so the next time if I bite one of them rooters and it gets away.

I'm thinking Camp could have fixed you up for a lot less than that doctor will charge. Well, except for the rabie shot. Haven't heard anyone talk about rabie shots for a long time. Use to be a series of 14 shots in the belly. Very painful. Has that changed?

Farmhand":h5phy3ah said:
I'm thinking Camp could have fixed you up for a lot less than that doctor will charge. Well, except for the rabie shot. Haven't heard anyone talk about rabie shots for a long time. Use to be a series of 14 shots in the belly. Very painful. Has that changed?

I was being sarcastic about the rabies shot, Camp laughed at me then ate my butt out saying we had hogs to put up instead of going up there and lookin at nurses, said if he hadn't allready shoot the dang hog it would of died anywayAlso said he wasn't going to eat that gilt cause the meat was ruined.

Well now its wet and cold out there, that is by East Texas standards. So head on out to the sale barn tomorrow, and Monday, and Tuesday and by that time I am sure you will be bored outa your skull. Careful on the dippin though, slobber is one of the first signs of rabies.... Take care my friend

Thanks for the clarification, Caustic. Least the wound hasn't taken your humor. Hope you're able to hold onto that humor come morning. I have a feeling you're going to need it.

Camp - take it easy on Caustic for a bit ok? I'm feeling a little bad for him. Give him some time to get up to par - then raz him. :lol: ;-)

I was under the impression that Caustic was from florida but it seems that yall know each other out of forum but seems like yall are in Texas? Have i been mislead?

Feral pigs are mostly domesticated pigs that got loose. They breed with other wild pigs which commonly have the russian bloodline. Some more prominent than others. They have evolved a bit to adapt to the wild. The nose is longer being that they rely on rooting more so than domesticated pigs. Taste wise, they are delicious. I have not tried the javelina, but have heard the taste was somewhat "wild". Feral pigs will destroy a coastal field because they like to eat the soft, sweet roots. They will also turnover a pecan orchard for the nuts. There diet also includes anything deer will eat. The reason people sour the corn is a). raccoons and other small animals dont like it as much soured, therefore saving on bait cost. Another thing people do is put diesel fuel on the corn. Pigs are drawn to diesel because if ingested, it helps fend off parasites. 2). Feral pigs have an amazing sense of smell. By souring the corn, you can bring them in from long distances. A feral pig can detect a potato buried in the ground for more than 100 yards away. Feral pigs can be trapped with a cage equipped with a guilotine door or a swing door. simply set a trip wire towards the back, pig trips wire, doors slams closed. You can either transfer the trapped pigs to a holding pen for fattening or to sell, or shoot (to be more specific, KILL) the pig, take it out of the trap and eat it. Most people quarter the pig up and soak in ice water for a few days to drain out all the blood. Once the liquid from the cooler comes out clear, its time to eat it. Meat taste great.I prefer to smoke it. I would put it up against a nice rib-eye any day.

Beef11":1d6r1t80 said:
I was under the impression that Caustic was from florida but it seems that yall know each other out of forum but seems like yall are in Texas? Have i been mislead?

No Texas it is, Camp and I are neighbors he lives about 5 miles south as the crow flies.

lakading":23df1e3l said:
aplusmnt":23df1e3l said:
Workinonit Farm":23df1e3l said:
Caustic Burno":23df1e3l said:
Told Camp I was thinking about sueing for getting hog bit on his place,he had the nerve to tell me I was tresspassin and stealing pet hogs.

You're lucky he didn't shoot you....to put you out of your misery. :lol: (JK)

Katherine

Surely he would have put his arm in a float tank first to try to save him :)

???

A newbie posted about her cow recently that had been put in a float tank (the cow had gone down - I think the member was Lisajoy). Anyway, the string was a long string that accidentally wound up with her cow that was regaining strength getting shot.

Caustic, ain't that sound of rain on the roof nice? I'm assuming you got some of what we just went through. I'm expecting to find some cats and dogs in the rain gauge tomorrow morning.

No Texas it is, Camp and I are neighbors he lives about 5 miles south as the crow flies.

Southeast texas would be my guess? You probably know where your at better than me. My old man went Hog hunting last week outside of Jewett. Didn't take me along, i guess thats what i get for living in Idaho.

Campground, thanks for not putting him down. Bet ya' saw that spark of life in his eye, that or all them words comming out of his mouth must have gave you a clue it was not his time though :lol: !

CB, Mrs.J says to keep an eye on that hand there for any signs of infection.

Take care,

J

Someone's misfortune doesn't make me happy.

Glad you're okay Caustic (but I agree with Texan, stop trying to make pets out of em). Yep, be careful about infection too.

Take care.

I hope Caustic has a speedy recovery. I've always enjoyed reading his posts . I've learned a great deal from him as well as others during their professional disagreements.

Latest posts