Happy Thanksgiving

Help Support CattleToday:

My grandparents always had Christmas at their house, my mother would host thanksgiving, a lot of family members at both.
They have all passed away, now just our individual families have their own, I miss the celebration when all the uncles, aunts and cousins would get together.
Fun times.
I'm hunting this morning, I haven't seen a single deer, usually thanksgiving is good hunting.

Happy thanksgiving 🦃! Youngest son came home from working in Louisiana. His wife's family is getting together Thursday. Oldest son and his family are at the beach . Daughter's family is getting together with son in law's family. So my wife and I will spend a quiet day getting ready for Sunday. There will be 15 eating here . We've added a new grand daughter since last year. God has really blessed us all ! Hope everyone has a warm and safe Thanksgiving .
So this is what my wife got out of the freezer for just the 2 of us today . 😳 That turkey can wait till Sunday ! 😁

Attachments

• IMG_5259.jpeg
    IMG_5259.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
Happy Thanksgiving!!
Nephew Phil & I were born & raised in R.I. - so all our family lives there. Tradition started many, many years ago - Sister, BIL and her kids started coming out. Now the kids have teenage kids. They come for a week. We all hunt. My sister & niece plan all the meals, cook all the meals, and clean up after everyone. I get to hunt or play on the computer. I haven't been out this year. Just being lazy. Don't think I've recooped from our week down in KY. Excuses!! just getting lazy! I have a small house, so we have wall to wall sleeping bags.

Happy American Thanksgiving!
When I was back on the coast there was a man from church who was married to a Canadian lady. Her family had moved down to Seattle. So this guy went to his in laws for Canadian Thanksgiving in October. And then did American Thanksgiving in November. I tried to explain to him that gluttony is one of 7 deadly sins. He wasn't buying it. And they watched American football on Canadian Thanksgiving.........

Happy Thanksgiving from the hospital-my mom (who has aphasic dementia) had a brain bleed on Tuesday afternoon. God's grace is that because of her brain atrophy from the dementia, the space taken by the bleed is not as debilitating as it would have been if her brain was "normal". Count every blessing as a gift. Dad, hubs and I will have a hospital Thanksgiving with Mom and the hospital staff❤️

When I was back on the coast there was a man from church who was married to a Canadian lady. Her family had moved down to Seattle. So this guy went to his in laws for Canadian Thanksgiving in October. And then did American Thanksgiving in November. I tried to explain to him that gluttony is one of 7 deadly sins. He wasn't buying it. And they watched American football on Canadian Thanksgiving.........
All sounds good other than 4 down football.

I would watch football today but the season ended a few days ago.

Happy Thanksgiving from the hospital-my mom (who has aphasic dementia) had a brain bleed on Tuesday afternoon. God's grace is that because of her brain atrophy from the dementia, the space taken by the bleed is not as debilitating as it would have been if her brain was "normal". Count every blessing as a gift. Dad, hubs and I will have a hospital Thanksgiving with Mom and the hospital staff❤️
I'm sorry to hear that! But yes, count your blessings. 🙏

Sorry for the trip to the hospital, but glad that there is a small blessing to go along with it.

Not a Happy Thanksgiving for me. Went up to feed cow after letting her stay in Tuesday night with the rain, so be with the calves, and knowing I would be late getting home from work.... and she was out flat and had died... her calf is just shy of 3 weeks... and the holstein I got to put on her was doing really good... I was absolutely dumb founded... have done this several times since I got the 2nd calf started on her when I know I am going to be real late coming home from work... I put a bale or so of hay in the bunk when I let her in, in the morning, and feed her grain, and let her stay in the barn and the small lot with the calves. Was not expecting this in any way shape, or form. So for the past 2 days I have been wrestling with the calves to get them to take bottles. The holstein had had bottles for it's first 2-3 days, but her calf had never had one. They don't like the taste or the feel of the nipple... it is NOT MOMMA.... but this evening was a little better (4th feeding on bottle).... have to corner them and get the bottle in their mouth and tonight they did not fight it but started sucking right away....
She was pushing 8-10 yrs old, but was healthy as far as I knew... Obviously not as healthy as I thought she was... She had done a da#@ed good job over the years raising calves for me.....

Always something.... but not as bad as a family member in the hospital.

My grandparents always had Christmas at their house, my mother would host thanksgiving, a lot of family members at both.
They have all passed away, now just our individual families have their own, I miss the celebration when all the uncles, aunts and cousins would get together.
Fun times.
I'm hunting this morning, I haven't seen a single deer, usually thanksgiving is good hunting.
Same for us, big celebrations when we were younger, and now that the older generation members are all gone, we are scattered and my siblings and I have had some major problems after my parents passed and do not even speak now. Miss it with my grandparents and parents... they kept the family more together it seems. Son and I lived the furthest away and we always went back for one or the other if not both....

Not a Happy Thanksgiving for me. Went up to feed cow after letting her stay in Tuesday night with the rain, so be with the calves, and knowing I would be late getting home from work.... and she was out flat and had died... her calf is just shy of 3 weeks... and the holstein I got to put on her was doing really good... I was absolutely dumb founded... have done this several times since I got the 2nd calf started on her when I know I am going to be real late coming home from work... I put a bale or so of hay in the bunk when I let her in, in the morning, and feed her grain, and let her stay in the barn and the small lot with the calves. Was not expecting this in any way shape, or form. So for the past 2 days I have been wrestling with the calves to get them to take bottles. The holstein had had bottles for it's first 2-3 days, but her calf had never had one. They don't like the taste or the feel of the nipple... it is NOT MOMMA.... but this evening was a little better (4th feeding on bottle).... have to corner them and get the bottle in their mouth and tonight they did not fight it but started sucking right away....
She was pushing 8-10 yrs old, but was healthy as far as I knew... Obviously not as healthy as I thought she was... She had done a da#@ed good job over the years raising calves for me.....

Always something.... but not as bad as a family member in the hospital.
Sorry to hear that Jan, not a good find. I hope the calves start to power ahead now.

Ken

Same for us, big celebrations when we were younger, and now that the older generation members are all gone, we are scattered and my siblings and I have had some major problems after my parents passed and do not even speak now. Miss it with my grandparents and parents... they kept the family more together it seems. Son and I lived the furthest away and we always went back for one or the other if not both....

Sad about your siblings, I have two brothers and two sisters and a bunch of cousins, we all get along pretty good, there was a text sent out about a week ago wanting the family to get together again.

Sorry Hpacres and Jan.
Traditional for us is family comes from RI and spends a week hunting and eating - there's 10 of us - wall to wall air matresses. My sister & niece do all the cooking. I get to hunt all I want - although I have been lazy and haven't been out. Trip to KY screwed up a lot of timing. I'm working on my newsletter.

Niece came out with me to feed bucket to weaned heifers and to check fall pairs.
Uggh - saw a calf head hanging out of the round bale feeder. Born in September. Dead.
Appears he climbed up into the feeder and I had just fed a bale night before. Looks like a lot of the outside layers slid off and buried him enough he couldn't get out. Niece helped me get a chain around him and haul him out (after I removed the main bale and we pulled layers off of him.) New experience for niece!!! She was a trooper. We only had 3 steers for our freezer beef - now only TWO. Going to have some unhappy customers next year.
Our January newborns will get into the feeders because Mom is hanging out around them and weather is nasty. But, as soon as they find the sheds, they never get back into them. All these fall calves have found the shed. Never had bad enough weather for them to ever get into the feeders. That's our life on the farm. Always something to scratch our head and ask WHY?

It's always something.
I pulled the cattle in about thirty acres so they wouldn't bother us while we were hunting.
I killed a cull buck this morning and while we were skinning him, my little granddaughter said look at that water fall popo!
About 200 yards water was shooting up in the air where the water troughs are.
Had to stop and fix that.
That's not as bad as losing a calf though.

Latest posts