Happy Easter!! Bottle Calves??

Help Support CattleToday:

Mcp220

Reaction score
First - Happy Easter to you all!! Hope everyone has a blessed day!

Second - We are on the lookout for some new bottle babies! This will be our second year with them... Any suggestions as to where to look? We check Craigslist regularly and that's kind of about the only somewhat reliable source so far, but not many posted. We're in East Tennessee, so can go to VA, NC, TN, and some southern parts of KY yo pick up. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Second - We are on the lookout for some new bottle babies! This will be our second year with them... Any suggestions as to where to look? We check Craigslist regularly and that's kind of about the only somewhat reliable source so far, but not many posted. We're in East Tennessee, so can go to VA, NC, TN, and some southern parts of KY yo pick up. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Happy Easter

Talk to people at your local feed store or sale barn. A lot of older farmers still don't use Craigslist.
When I was a kid my dad worked for a local grain elevator. One of the farmers feed out only heifers any time he got one that was unknowingly pregnant, I was first on the list for the bottle calf. (I had 8 from John one year).
Word of mouth will get you more bottle calves than you want, and usually at a fair price.

Good luck.

Good luck.
I check Craig's like 8 time a day...
Yeah I'm an addict.
Sale barns occassionally get a couple round here, usually its winter time tho. This time of year I think kids raise them babies up. The weather is more conducive for getting kids involved.

It's pretty bad, the addiction, I almost bought a pair yesterday and split em off, selling the cow.
Wouldve made a great bottle calf. The old hag of a cow needed a career change. She charged anything that moved!

And happy easter to u too!

Happy Easter also. Any dairies around? Many are breeding their heifers to angus and also several in this area are breeding the lower third or even half of the cows to beef semen now. Best way to get calves is directly off the farm....

@kenny thomas could probably get you fixed up... he has contacts and deals with many of the farmers around. It will be harder to find a calf off a beef cow this time of year because if a farmer has one, there is usually another farmer that needs one to foster on a cow that lost her calf.

When I raised dairy bottle calves, I tried to get them straight off of the dairy. If you know of an area that has some dairies, maybe talk to feed stores or county extension agents to maybe get some contacts. Around here there aren't many dairies left, but used to be some down around Somerset, KY, Campbellsville, Ky areas. Those are around the south central parts of the state. I have gotten calves from stockyards or calf traders, but you have to be careful about that as the calves may not have had colostrum and have likely been exposed to a lot of potential diseases. From what I can tell around here there are several calf traders that advertise on Craigslist pretty much all time.

Where in east Tennesse? I am in Bulls Gap. @kenny thomas is your guy. But I would also be checking CL and the Face Book. :)

Are there still dairies in the Bulls Gap, Greenville area. I used to get some great Charolais bulls from Silas Maxwell in Moshiem.
Not as many Diaries these days, but I have a friend that consistently comes up with very young Jersey Steers that he feeds out ( not many bottles I don't think). I get my feed from a guy in Mosheim. I found out last week that he had sold his farm. I have not talked to him yet, so I don't know the details. His worker said they were keeping the feed part going.

Thank you all for your replies... We will put the word out and go from there! We are in Rogersville, TN, so not far from Bulls Gap @sstterry - We're practically neighbors :) Hope everyone had a great Easter Sunday! If anyone does hear of any or see any that come up, please reach out - We will keep on looking as well!

Put an ISO add on Craigslist and maybe try Facebook marketplace. There are some livestock groups by region or state on FB. This time of the year calving is in full swing and someone may have a orphan or twin calf they don't want to deal with themselves. If you have any dairy farms around you may want to talk to them to see if you could buy a calf from them. Around us they're practically giving them away when the prices are low.

Put an ISO add on Craigslist and maybe try Facebook marketplace. There are some livestock groups by region or state on FB. This time of the year calving is in full swing and someone may have a orphan or twin calf they don't want to deal with themselves. If you have any dairy farms around you may want to talk to them to see if you could buy a calf from them. Around us they're practically giving them away when the prices are low.
Craigslist must be lots different in other places than what I see here. Here they might as well tell you to bend over. When you see the same people advertising on Craigslist every week its pretty obvious. Here you need to know the larger operations to get a baby. The people with 500 cows will usually have a few. And they aren't going to be the ones advertising on Craigslist

Watched 2 really nice bull calves sell yesterday.
Red bull was probly 3 weeks went for 275
Few day old black one brought the same.

I quit at 250. Dont need another pet/project for a bit.

Or do I????????

Sale again tmrw!

Latest posts