Old Gert Question (Macon--you might be able to weigh in)

Help Support CattleToday:

That class was exciting as I recall. We had seen a heifer Wes was showing that sold in the Santa Spectacular to David Alderson for something like 10-15000, and that heifer placed placed maybe 4th in the class behind Anna's heifer. That's my recollection anyway.

Wow. Didn't realize that. I bought a Veronica daughter at the Mt Laurel last year, and she is one heck of a rip. She is AI'd to Hatchet. Should be a pretty dominate mating.

I think it's actually 1998 I was thinking of--but yes, Anna's heifer won the whole thing in 1999. And that should turn out really nicely--best of luck!

We had another cow we'd AId to 302--bull calf hit the ground this past weekend.

It has been nearly a month since you bred the heifer/cow to Mountain Man 266. Did she pass over?

I saw some very feminine females out of that bull in the late 1980's and early 1990's. 266's sire was Mountain Man 810 who was National Champion in 1980 or 1981. That bull would still work today to produce acceptable cattle.

we think so...but we also thought she'd been bred to 302, which turned out not to be true upon preg-checking. so i hope we'll preg check in the near future to confirm, but she should be bred.

IT CAUGHT!!! Confirmed bred to Mountain Man 266--might be pushing frame size a little bit, but otherwise excited...also, our other heifer is confirmed bred to Harris Farms 15/4.

saintgert":2xoowv32 said:
IT CAUGHT!!! Confirmed bred to Mountain Man 266--might be pushing frame size a little bit, but otherwise excited...also, our other heifer is confirmed bred to Harris Farms 15/4.
Thats great!

What is the average size of your cows? I have seen some Gerts that were way to big and I have seen some that were too little for my liking. 266 when bred to something on the smaller side should give you some height and length.

Average size is not normally a problem for us...it's just this particular heifer--she's not too big, but she's not too small either and 266 is a frame score 9.

Just curious.. would anyone be interested in owning a son or daughter from Jomar 579? If someone had a 2019 calf sired by him???

Maybe. Would like to see what kind of cow the dam is. I'd like to improve milk and marbling a bit. Of course, he is a bull produced 45 years ago, and looks like no calves have been registered of his in 30 years.

When one hits the ground in a couple of months I will post some pics. I was just curious.

Just saw your post about 579/4 calves. We had a Jomar 54/8 daughter and two sons born between 2007 and 2009. They were really nice calves, and have no complaints about them--very thick, and both bulls were very moderate-framed. It's a line I've always been interested in. Still have two straws of 54/8 left. The 54/8 daughter was good and productive for about a decade.

Hualalai in Hawaii had the last registered 579/4 calves that I'm aware of in 2006 (only 13 years ago) :)

Although we're maybe not quite as active as we have been in the past, we still have a tendency to cross old genetics with "new". There's definitely a place for those genetics and you should have a good, productive calf with a lot of eye appeal.

Latest posts