Old Gert Question (Macon--you might be able to weigh in)

Help Support CattleToday:

OY JOMARS DUMPLIN born:04/10/2019
Sire: JOMAR 579/4
Dam: TBOLT DOLLY

So far we really like how she is looking.

[image][/image]

Sired by Jomar 579
5 1/2 months old when the pic was taken last week.

saintgert said:
have a Jomar 54 daughter--bottom side breeding Top Gun 244 on Shaker's Playboy 720 x Cierra 433.
Very solid heifer. She slopes just a bit from hooks....
we value the polled gene (she is herself polled, but with a lot of horned genetics).
she's a good enough heifer that she could work with any of them... some options are:

LL Tripp 777/0 (polled LL farms bull who goes back to Cosgrove breeding on top)
Read the 1st page before realizing post is 10 years old and I know nothing about Gerts, so
can't tell you anything about shoulders, sheaths, rumps, pedigrees ect.... but
IMO a gentle slope from hips/hooks to pins is ideal for all cows and breeds.

For those facing a similar decision and value polled gene....
without testing we can assume your polled heifer is hetro polled (P h)
even if service sire is also hetro-polled (P h)... 25% of offspring will be homo-polled (P P)
50% (P h) hetro-polled and 25% horned (h h).
IF you use a horned sired 50% hetro polled 50% horned and 0% homo-polled... so

IF heifer/cow truly good enough to work with any of them and you value polled gene
then the Polled sire would be my choice. At the very least use it as a tie breaker.
just my :2cents:

1. Outlaw00--I like how your heifer is turning out!

2. Son of Butch...yeah--it's interesting to see how things turn out over time a decade. We bred her to a bunch of different bulls over the years. Her best calf (ET) was a bull we called "Julius 55/4," which was a cross with Hatchet 150--I don't really do pictures on the message board, but we do have a facebook page for JC Sherrill, Jr. Ranch, and there is a photo of him in the profile pictures. We have one calf left out of the Jomar 54 daughter and one calf out of Julius. The cow only had one heifer, and the rest were bulls. It's also funny to see this post because we used the Tripp 777/0 semen on another cow and are actually using the resulting bull calf as our herd sire now (photo also available through facebook). I don't remember without looking back what the other bulls I was thinking about were.

We still have a good time combing old genetics with new, but there are some pretty impressive Gert bulls out there right now.

Latest posts