Old cow stuck in mud. Please help

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
TREY-L":3jby33oj said:
I know this is a little late, but did anyone mention trying to use a hip lift?
A good quality hip lift is worth its weight in gold for downer cows.

Trey
Yes, it was suggested. We are all anxious to see how he got it done.

well he made his fatel misstake of attacking MM.when people attack her we will come to her aide an defense.now me other the other hand.i can standup to this unrulely poster.i dont have to prove myself to him thats for dang sure.im glad that he has the cow out of the mudd.thats great news.keep working with her.

I am so happy your son got that poor cow out! That is something he can be proud of! :clap: :clap: :clap:

After reading through the posts I have two stories that I want to tell.
1) Neighbour had a cow REALLY stuck in mud/spring the hired hand put a chain around the neck and pulled with the tractor - killed the cow. Whether the mud was too thick or he pulled incorrectly I don't know, but the results were bad.
2) We had a cow that was paralyzed after calving. Unfortunately the corral she went down in has a slope in it. A few times she would crawl and then get stuck head downhill laying flat out unable to get her head up. We couldn't pull from the hind end for fear of damaging it more. It was snowy and frozen, can't dig down to get anything under her body so we'd put a halter on her and drag her to a safer place. It was that or watch her die. It was the last resort. She was not injured from the pulling and came out of her paralysis to have a healthy calf the next year.

PS- Milkmaid mentioned that one Trey. I was kind of thinking along those lines with maybe something placed under the shoulders. This makes my calf with her head stuck in the cattleguard story pretty lame.

greenhornsdad":2qgdbr9l said:
http://cattletoday.com/forum/posting.php?mode=reply&f=8&t=44244#
:clap:He got her ouhttp://cattletoday.com/forum/posting. ... 8&t=44244#
:cboy:t!!! She's part way up the bank exhausted. Wheresthebeef? took pictures. He'll post them a little later. Thank yall for all the help

Great job! Sure is refreshing to see a father and son working together to solve a problem as y'all did.
A lot of well-intentioned folks gave advice - some good, some not so good- but all sincere. Too bad it got too intense at times. Don't think I'll ever learn to enjoy that type of reactions.

bigbull338":2injwwnc said:
well he made his fatel misstake of attacking MM.when people attack her we will come to her aide an defense.now me other the other hand.i can standup to this unrulely poster.i dont have to prove myself to him thats for dang sure.im glad that he has the cow out of the mudd.thats great news.keep working with her.

Dude. DUDE :!: I don't see where he attacked MM. I believe that was someone else.

Never heard such a fuss made over dragging a cow out of the mud. You got to get her out an peoples ben dragging them out for a couple hundred years. Just some folks now days havn't had to make do with what they got on hand. Sounds like he got her drug out.

JMichal":xgpo2a1e said:
Dude. DUDE :!: I don't see where he attacked MM. I believe that was someone else.

DT didn't? You don't read very well if that is what you think.....consider that my opinion about you.

There was only one that fit the bill.

Wewild":13e4lxdw said:
JMichal":13e4lxdw said:

DT didn't? You don't read very well if that is what you think.....consider that my opinion about you.

Wewild! Will ya' quit bein' so danged cryptic? There was only on that fit the bill?????

What does that mean?

Alice

Thank goodness she's out;I have been thinking about this post since it was first posted.

If you can get her cleaned off and if she is shaky and under the weather (like not being able to stand ) from such a stressful situation an IV cocktail of dextrose and dex would really help her.
If you don't know how to do this perhaps there is a neighbor that has been around the block and has all the necessary supplies could give you a hand.

BTW Great job I hope she is no worse for the wear.

Dusty-Trails":12c3l7ig said:
milkmaid":12c3l7ig said:
Dusty Trails, so far you've said nothing that indicates you have any experience or knowledge of working with cattle. The only posts you've made are filled with opinionated fluff that could have been gathered by reading, not real world experience. You're throwing around a lot of ideals about what's nicer for the cow, rather than what would get her out alive. I think the hip-lifter would probably be the best way to go, as it would pick her straight out of that muck, but if throwing a chain around her neck (chain is better than a rope which could slip and choke her) would save her from a bullet, then... why are we debating this? she might be a bit sore for a few days, but she'll be alive.

And just because you throw numbers around means nothing to me. I could care less if you have a cow worth 300K, or even 3 million. Grow up. You can't buy respect with money, and you can't earn respect by telling us how much you may have. There's a lot of rich people out there who have bought a ranch but know nothing about taking care of the animals on it, and for all I know or care that could well be you too.

I have better things to do in life than argue with an opinionated city slicker with an inflated view of himself. Have yourself a great day.

LA and red... thanks. ;-)

Heres some of the consequences of inapropriate actions!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,327915,00.html

Wonder if they got there training from the higher ups at the slaughter house or a discussion board somewhere on the internet :?:

You can have anyone you want to to agree with you but the truth is it was bad advice plain and simple. The guy was not asking what to do with someone who bought salsa made in new york city. :???:

:?:

How can you equate outright abuse with someone trying to help?

Alice":3h33x2ob said:
Wewild":3h33x2ob said:
JMichal":3h33x2ob said:

Wewild! Will ya' quit bein' so danged cryptic? There was only on that fit the bill?????

What does that mean?

Alice

Sorry sweetie.

Fit the bill was used to describe the best fit to the situation.

"They needed someone to lift the log. He was a strapping young fellow and he fit the bill."

Oh man, I knew better than to ask... :lol2:

Alice

SCRUBS620":3oa06asi said:
Dusty-Trails":3oa06asi said:
milkmaid":3oa06asi said:
Dusty Trails, so far you've said nothing that indicates you have any experience or knowledge of working with cattle. The only posts you've made are filled with opinionated fluff that could have been gathered by reading, not real world experience. You're throwing around a lot of ideals about what's nicer for the cow, rather than what would get her out alive. I think the hip-lifter would probably be the best way to go, as it would pick her straight out of that muck, but if throwing a chain around her neck (chain is better than a rope which could slip and choke her) would save her from a bullet, then... why are we debating this? she might be a bit sore for a few days, but she'll be alive.

And just because you throw numbers around means nothing to me. I could care less if you have a cow worth 300K, or even 3 million. Grow up. You can't buy respect with money, and you can't earn respect by telling us how much you may have. There's a lot of rich people out there who have bought a ranch but know nothing about taking care of the animals on it, and for all I know or care that could well be you too.

I have better things to do in life than argue with an opinionated city slicker with an inflated view of himself. Have yourself a great day.

LA and red... thanks. ;-)

Heres some of the consequences of inapropriate actions!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,327915,00.html

Wonder if they got there training from the higher ups at the slaughter house or a discussion board somewhere on the internet :?:

You can have anyone you want to to agree with you but the truth is it was bad advice plain and simple. The guy was not asking what to do with someone who bought salsa made in new york city. :???:

:?:

How can you equate outright abuse with someone trying to help?

Lets see it might be called inhumane methods dont justify the means. Lets see even a box of Rice Krispies has instructions.

Read the whole thread a new poster being told to use a rope or chain no instructions concerning proper procedures. This new poster admits to knowing nothing about what he is trying to accomplish. Yet hes simply told use a chain or rope around the neck. Some things are just way over peoples heads.

Dusty-Trails":6ct3pfkv said:
Some things are just way over peoples heads.

Do you ever take counsel of your own advice?

Have you ever removed a cow from a hole using any technique?

okay everybody here she is, it is dark now and I am still open for your great suggestions! Thank you for all of your help so far

wheresthebeef?":2z2brh35 said:
okay everybody here she is, it is dark now and I am still open for your great suggestions! Thank you for all of your help so far

Fence that place off. Hope all is OK.

Wewild":38o9t7jw said:
wheresthebeef?":38o9t7jw said:

Fence that place off. Hope all is OK.

Did she make it? She looks exhausted.

As you can see I have not gotten her too far out, but at least she is not in the mud anymore. Should I try to pull her out more? Put a blanket on her? Will she be safe there or am I going to have to camp out?

Wow ~ lots of people browsing this board, you;re sure to get plenty of advice. Check her body temp. The mud will soak out heat really fast ~ concerns include shock. Someone (MM?) suggested dex ~ real good idea. But you need to make sure body temp is not too low.

Can you still drag her out?
And then get some electrolyres in her?
She looks rough
Good luck
Good job so far

But i agree fence it off and get a solar water or a water of some kind so they do not go down there again

Alot of posters browsing and waiting for more info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts