Old cow stuck in mud. Please help

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Found this old girl stuck in the mud and don't know much what to do. Me and the wife are living on her family farm until we get back on our feet, so I have only been around cattle for about 4 months.

I have been trying to dig her out some last night and this morning. She is trying to get out but she is not getting very far. I cannot get under her legs to get a strap around her and am worried about just tying it around her neck. Is there some kind of harness I can put on her head? I have the tractor all ready to pull her out but I want to be as safe as possible.

Go rent a mini excavator at any equiment rental place. Dig on her left side up to where the ground becomes firmer, then, if she can't get out, you can put a couple straps around her and help lift her out with the mini excavator.

Have a chain? I've seen more than one cow lifted with a chain around her neck, with no adverse affects. For instance, a dairy cow a few weeks ago who dumped herself into the feed bunk and couldn't get out.

Or if you have a tractor that can go down through the creek, put some hip lifters on her and just pick her out that way.

get some ropes an put that around her neck an pull her out.but keep the truck or tractor on solid ground an take it very slow pulling her out.

Dont do anything except the excavator. Call the humane society local sheriff department would get you the help you need all of the rest is subject to be terminal to the animal. For sure get her some water to stop dehydration.

If you have a conciense dont drag her by the neck or you will be in up to your elbows with peta and every body else that gets a whiff. Rent the excavator I pledge 100 dollars towards documented exspense.

Everyone of you that recomended a rope or chain around her neck needs to sell everthing you got and dig ditches. :dunce: :???: Also scrutinize any post you ever read by anyone that tells you anything inhumane in past posts. :mad: Theres not a thing alive that you can drag by the neck and not injure especially when there is more force holding it thatn it weighs.

The filters keep me from saying in certain terms just what I could say to those with the rope and chain comments. You would think they took lessons at the calofornia processing plant! They darn sure dont know diddly when it comes to humane treatment or common sense.

milkmaid":3dqufty2 said:
Have a chain? I've seen more than one cow lifted with a chain around her neck, with no adverse affects. For instance, a dairy cow a few weeks ago who dumped herself into the feed bunk and couldn't get out.

Or if you have a tractor that can go down through the creek, put some hip lifters on her and just pick her out that way.

That cow in the feed bunk was not up to her rectum in mud holding againt her. :secret:

If a human was in that muck would yo uput a chain around its neck? You should do no less for the animal than is sound practice if it was a human in the muck. :idea:

Milkmaid and Bigbull are experienced cattle people. Listento experience.

Run a rope along one side, around behind her and back up the othe side. That is, loop the rope around behind her and pull on both ends. This amounts to he same as if you were behind her pushing.
As deep in as she looks you are going to have to use some real force to move her.

Ryder":3f17lzlr said:

Run a rope along one side, around behind her and back up the othe side. That is, loop the rope around behind her and pull on both ends. This amounts to he same as if you were behind her pushing.
As deep in as she looks you are going to have to use some real force to move her.

So were the people using the fork lift at the california slaughter plant. Theres lots of people experienced in doing the wrong thing or giving the wrong advice time and time again. I do believe mikmaid is someomne still at home with the parents no disrespect about that. I would be willing to bet i have 30 plus years there.

Use common sence not after all else fails but prior to the failing. Using a rope around the neck is pulling on one of the most fragile peortions of the cows anatomy. An oxen or draft horse does not pull by the neck rather the shoulders.

ONE MORE THING I CAN JUST SEE PETA AND SOME OF THERE COCONSPIRITORS PASTING SOME OF THE ABOVE COMMENTS TO THEIR WEB SITES. :idea:

YES SIR THEY FOUND COMMENTS ON CATTLETODAY MADE BY GURUS OR WHAT EVER THE CLASSIFICATION IS. :compute: Who was it that just posted yesterday that reporters were out investigating sale barns yesterday? Tink before you speak due to all the ramifications.

One more thing remember experienced people rushed to continuing on through the icebergs on the titanic. But clearly I guarantee you not one that said use a rope or chain has ever been in this predicament you are.

No, I do not live at home. Why would that make a bit of difference anyway?

Age does not equal experience either.

I'm no feminist, but I've met a lot of men who think that because they're older and male, that they know more. In some cases, yes, in other cases... well, a $2500 mare died this summer because someone thought mastitis only killed cows. Their prerrogative, their problem.

Do you even have cows? ever had to deal with anything more serious than figuring out what to feed them, or a case of footrot?

And FYI, if PETA ever comes on this website, chances are a few random comments about pulling a cow out of the mud won't attract their attention near as much as my thread with pics of cow problems. Go look it up.

Ryder":3uglglfw said:

Yep, that or 30-30, then yank her out. Sad, but sometimes needed

IF she was mine...
I know thats a big if.

I would get down there with her.
Use a strap, something thick that will not cut.
Dig down on one side an slide it up under her just behind the shoulders, then dig on the the other till you pull the strap thru.
Attach to tractor and pull gently, dusty is right the suction alone is going to put alot of pressure on her.

Good luck sorry about your problem, sometimes they get themselves into messing we couldnt even think of.

Get to it you dont have alot of time.

milkmaid":3cfwmqrh said:

I'm no feminist, but I've met a lot of men who think that because they're older and male, that they know more. In some cases, yes, in other cases... well, a $2500 mare died this summer because someone thought mastitis only killed cows. Their prerrogative, their problem.

Do you even have cows? ever had to deal with anything more serious than figuring out what to feed them, or a case of footrot?

And FYI, if PETA ever comes on this website, chances are a few random comments about pulling a cow out of the mud won't attract their attention near as much as my thread with pics of cow problems. Go look it up.

We sained and drained a pond one time. I got stuck in muck and they tryed to pull me out like to have pulled myshoulders off before I could stop them. I HAD TO BE DUG OUT THERE ARE TIMES WHEN COMMON SENSE GOES FURTHER THAN PRIDE.

Yes i have cows even with the market defalted over 300 k worth. I HAVE GOT UP AND SEEN ABOUT COWS ALL HOURS OF THE NIGHT THAT NEEEDED ATTENTION SLEPT IN THE FEED BUNKS MANY NIGHTS WHEN IT WAS FREEZING OUT SIDE CARING FOR A COW IN TROUBLE.

just because you were succesful pulling your cow out of a feed bunk with no mud pulling on her this is not any where near the same thing.

Good day.

[/quote If a human was in that muck would yo uput a chain around its neck? You should do no less for the animal than is sound practice if it was a human in the muck. :idea:/quote]

I don't know many humans that weigh over 1100 pounds either. I might not agree with some posts, but to say that they are wrong is a different thing.

Dusty-Trails":2m25k2a8 said:
milkmaid":2m25k2a8 said:

We sained and drained a pond one time. I got stuck in muck and they tryed to pull me out like to have pulled myshoulders off before I could stop them. I HAD TO BE DUG OUT THERE ARE TIMES WHEN COMMON SENSE GOES FURTHER THAN PRIDE.

Yes i have cows even with the market defalted over 300 k worth. I HAVE GOT UP AND SEEN ABOUT COWS ALL HOURS OF THE NIGHT THAT NEEEDED ATTENTION SLEPT IN THE FEED BUNKS MANY NIGHTS WHEN IT WAS FREEZING OUT SIDE CARING FOR A COW IN TROUBLE.

just because you were succesful pulling your cow out of a feed bunk with no mud pulling on her this is not any where near the same thing.

Good day.

Dusty, MM is a good kid.
About as bright as they come.
Agree or dont agree, but stressful situations like these dont need extra crap.
Dont yell, and dont talk down.

Give your thought an move on.

This is a tough one the more I think about it the more I think the bullet maybe the way to go.

Farming sucks a times.

Brad D":2auv2y7w said:
[/quote If a human was in that muck would yo uput a chain around its neck? You should do no less for the animal than is sound practice if it was a human in the muck. :idea:/quote]

I don't know many humans that weigh over 1100 pounds either. I might not agree with some posts, but to say that they are wrong is a different thing.

care to elaborate a little more on stewardship. I came up in the day where you tell it like it is call things like they are. Never needed no sugart_ _ tossed my way because someone told the truth. I gave up needing to be pacifyed 55 plus years ago!

Best thing in life that cant be bought is an open mind.

boy your a hothead there son.its not cruel to use a rope or chain to pull cattle out of the mudd.whats cruel is when you dont know what your doing an choke them to death.weve never killed a cow pulling her out of a pool branch or muddhole.not saying that she did get up after the ordeal.a cow like that most people would shoot insted of trying to pull her out.cattlemen are the most humane people i know.we make our living from the cattle.we sure arnt here to HURT an abuse cattle.

redfornow":27a8x43m said:
Dusty-Trails":27a8x43m said:
milkmaid":27a8x43m said:

Good day.

Dusty, MM is a good kid.
About as bright as they come.
Agree or dont agree, but stressful situations like these dont need extra crap.
Dont yell, and dont talk down.

Give your thought an move on.

This is a tough one the more I think about it the more I think the bullet maybe the way to go.

Farming sucks a times.

Red every thing deserves a chance and unless one has done all they can then they have not given the animal a chance.

Reread my post I was very plian and said no disrespect intended. Only to be called a chovanist. Egos and pride have no place in a discussion like this. Its all about the animal. Not about you or me or milk maid simply the animal.

Have a good day.

bigbull338":29tzsxox said:
boy your a hothead there son.its not cruel to use a rope or chain to pull cattle out of the mudd.whats cruel is when you dont know what your doing an choke them to death.weve never killed a cow pulling her out of a pool branch or muddhole.not saying that she did get up after the ordeal.a cow like that most people would shoot insted of trying to pull her out.cattlemen are the most humane people i know.we make our living from the cattle.we sure arnt here to HURT an abuse cattle.

Lets see
1. you and misty said get a rope or chain gave no advice as to chooking possibilities.
2.Wheresthebeef said he had no experience.
3.the first poster who commented was very specific about getting a machine and digging out and they have few posts. That is in no way intending to pee on your parade the reference to guru.
4.posting in the thousands of times makes no one more or less inteligent. Its whats and how its said that shows intelligence again no DISRESPECT INTENDED.

well lets see weve had todo what this new poster is attempting todo.an have never lost a cow doing it the way i desribed.you think the number of my posts means i dont know nuthing WRONG.nor am i a braggert or a blowhard.ive sprnt my life raising cattle.i get very defensive when someone in a round about way tells me i know nothing.im no greenhorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.