Old cow stuck in mud. Please help

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dusty-Trails":13nbri6a said:
Ryder":13nbri6a said:
Milkmaid and Bigbull are experienced cattle people. Listento experience.

Run a rope along one side, around behind her and back up the othe side. That is, loop the rope around behind her and pull on both ends. This amounts to he same as if you were behind her pushing.
As deep in as she looks you are going to have to use some real force to move her.

So were the people using the fork lift at the california slaughter plant. Theres lots of people experienced in doing the wrong thing or giving the wrong advice time and time again. I do believe mikmaid is someomne still at home with the parents no disrespect about that. I would be willing to bet i have 30 plus years there.

Use common sence not after all else fails but prior to the failing. Using a rope around the neck is pulling on one of the most fragile peortions of the cows anatomy. An oxen or draft horse does not pull by the neck rather the shoulders.

ONE MORE THING I CAN JUST SEE PETA AND SOME OF THERE COCONSPIRITORS PASTING SOME OF THE ABOVE COMMENTS TO THEIR WEB SITES. :idea:

YES SIR THEY FOUND COMMENTS ON CATTLETODAY MADE BY GURUS OR WHAT EVER THE CLASSIFICATION IS. :compute: Who was it that just posted yesterday that reporters were out investigating sale barns yesterday? Tink before you speak due to all the ramifications.

One more thing remember experienced people rushed to continuing on through the icebergs on the titanic. But clearly I guarantee you not one that said use a rope or chain has ever been in this predicament you are.

BS Pard, Milkmaid has it right. Search her advise and maybe you'll learn something

Thanks for all your good advice. My son wheresthebeef is at the creek now trying to free this animal. I'm in phone contact with him from Arizona. He's in Taylor Texas. He's trying to do this alone so he is going to dig out infront of the cow, place some boards or some other solid material in the hole and try putting a rope around her hind end. The cow has moved some and is not as deep as she was in the picture. Hopefully we can get her front legs some solid ground as he tries to pull her with the tractor.

thanks for the update on the cow.tell him when he pulls on her tobe careful.dont want to choke her out pulling.from what you say she shows some signs of fight in her.an that is a goodsign.

he's got a cargo strap he's going to put around her back end. He says that her left side appears to be free. He's not going to pull from her neck. he'll be pulling her back and her right side.

wonder how they in the old west. Get a rope or flat strap around her try to pull her on to her side . When you get her on her side drag her out. Get her soon or you won't have to worry about adverse effects.

Dusty Trails, so far you've said nothing that indicates you have any experience or knowledge of working with cattle. The only posts you've made are filled with opinionated fluff that could have been gathered by reading, not real world experience. You're throwing around a lot of ideals about what's nicer for the cow, rather than what would get her out alive. I think the hip-lifter would probably be the best way to go, as it would pick her straight out of that muck, but if throwing a chain around her neck (chain is better than a rope which could slip and choke her) would save her from a bullet, then... why are we debating this? she might be a bit sore for a few days, but she'll be alive.

And just because you throw numbers around means nothing to me. I could care less if you have a cow worth 300K, or even 3 million. Grow up. You can't buy respect with money, and you can't earn respect by telling us how much you may have. There's a lot of rich people out there who have bought a ranch but know nothing about taking care of the animals on it, and for all I know or care that could well be you too.

I have better things to do in life than argue with an opinionated city slicker with an inflated view of himself. Have yourself a great day.

LA and red... thanks. ;-)

Once when I was working in Anchorage a guy went walking on the mud flats in the inlet at low tide and sank to his waist and couldn't get free.

Local rescue hooks a harness to his upper body and proceeds to pull him out with a helicopter.

They pulled the guy in half.

That experience taught them to pump air under anyone stuck in the mud to break the suction.

I'm certainly no engineer but I'll bet suction is going to work against you.

Maybe you could get a gasoline powered water pump and insert the hose below her and see if pumping water under her might break the suction by loosening the mud.

Good luck brother.

wheresthebeef, if you haven't already gotten her out if you can and have got one or can borrow one get in the creek below her and dig her out with a front end loader. have someone to watch for you so you don't hurt her.I'm sure in a situation like this if you don't have one someone will at least let you borrow theirs.

We have used a chain successfully around the neck to free a stuck cow from the mud.

Dusty-Trails":2lohls4u said:
Lets see
1. you and misty said get a rope or chain gave no advice as to chooking possibilities.
2.Wheresthebeef said he had no experience.
3.the first poster who commented was very specific about getting a machine and digging out and they have few posts. That is in no way intending to pee on your parade the reference to guru.
4.posting in the thousands of times makes no one more or less inteligent. Its whats and how its said that shows intelligence again no DISRESPECT INTENDED.

My Dusty - you have a way of offending people.

My advice would be to get a strap or rope around her shoulders (which may require some digging), and pulling with a tractor in low gear. You don't want something that will yank her, just pull strong and steady.

As for Dusty - I could care less how much experience you say you have. I could care less how much your herd is worth. If you had any clue to the amount of people milkmaid has helped out you would feel embarrassed by your "attack" of her. Obviously no one taught you manners. MM may be young, but she's long on experience. When you own cows you will have to do things that may hurt the cow. As dun has quoted, cows come and go, but the bull here never ends. Sir, you appear to be the bull.

Great idea about the water pump. however he does have a portable air compressor and can set up a sparger pipe. That should liquify the mud around her legs. and make pulling her out easier. I'll suggest that to him. Right now he had a cargo strap around her belly and will try to nudge her out that way first.

Just a thought...if there's anyway you can get some electrolytes down her, do it, bless her heart.

Oh, Good Job, guys!!!!

Alice

milkmaid":1gm4qfgw said:
Dusty Trails, so far you've said nothing that indicates you have any experience or knowledge of working with cattle. The only posts you've made are filled with opinionated fluff that could have been gathered by reading, not real world experience. You're throwing around a lot of ideals about what's nicer for the cow, rather than what would get her out alive. I think the hip-lifter would probably be the best way to go, as it would pick her straight out of that muck, but if throwing a chain around her neck (chain is better than a rope which could slip and choke her) would save her from a bullet, then... why are we debating this? she might be a bit sore for a few days, but she'll be alive.

And just because you throw numbers around means nothing to me. I could care less if you have a cow worth 300K, or even 3 million. Grow up. You can't buy respect with money, and you can't earn respect by telling us how much you may have. There's a lot of rich people out there who have bought a ranch but know nothing about taking care of the animals on it, and for all I know or care that could well be you too.

I have better things to do in life than argue with an opinionated city slicker with an inflated view of himself. Have yourself a great day.

Heres some of the consequences of inapropriate actions!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,327915,00.html

Wonder if they got there training from the higher ups at the slaughter house or a discussion board somewhere on the internet :?:

You can have anyone you want to to agree with you but the truth is it was bad advice plain and simple. The guy was not asking what to do with someone who bought salsa made in new york city. :???:

:?:

milkmaid":18rpbai9 said:

Wow :!: You sound hot :!: Like what John Wayne said in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. "You sure are pretty when your mad".

I know this is a little late, but did anyone mention trying to use a hip lift?
A good quality hip lift is worth its weight in gold for downer cows.

Trey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts