Nuts on or off?

Help Support CattleToday:

Hoser

Reaction score
I have a yearling black angus bull I kept and was going to use on heifers but I decided I'm going to feed him out for a couple of months and eat him. Should I band him or just keep the nuts on at this point?

In my opinion, if you were going to feed him out longer, then castration would probably help with marbling. But, if you are only talking about 2 months, I don't think it will make a difference other than he will be set back on weight gain while recovering from castration. The taste in a yearling bull vs steer would not be much different.

2 of the calves we have fed out for beef have been bulls. 17-18 months old at time of processing.
I had them up and fed them for around 4 months. Meat was just as good as the steers we couldn't tell any difference.
They both had heavier hanging weights than the steers we've fed out.
I agree with @sstterry if you are not going to have him but a couple of months till process, I would not castrate it will just be hard in him and set him back and he would barely be healed by the time if banded.
I did go ahead and band a bull this spring but we had 8 months at the time to go. It took him quite a while to drop off , and he really didn't seem to start gaining much till afterwards.
You have to be careful when getting around those bulls they can get rowdy and agitated from being kept up, but overall at this point you're better off keeping him a bull I believe.

I have a yearling black angus bull I kept and was going to use on heifers but I decided I'm going to feed him out for a couple of months and eat him. Should I band him or just keep the nuts on at this point?
At this point leave them be, you'll only set him back and lessen his gain the next 8 weeks with no difference to quality.

I would say leave him be. We had a "steer" that we purchased that ended up showing signs of a bull. His name changed real quick to "one nut". We processed him and he tuned out great. Couldn't tell a difference in the meat compared to steers. Also with him, I contemplated trying to cut him and get out the missed nut but most people I spoke to and asked their opinion on, said it would do more harm than good.

Leave intact. We have fed out several bull's Can't tell the difference between them and the steers