Whole or cracked

Help Support CattleToday:

The cattle that I have finished on shell corn in a self feeder got worked up to 27lbs/day. So I'm your close.
Make sure you have some type of roughage free choice for scratch.
He has free choice hay and a 1 1/2 acre dry lot to roam on. I fed him about 30lb this afternoon and he cleaned it up. I am afraid the cost of corn will just about break me in the next month...lol.

Holy crap. How old is this eating machine? We have never gotten ours to eat more than maybe 24# a day.
He is about 20 months.

I had him on corn last year but decided to process another one that I fed with him. The other one was much smaller but I thought it was more ready. I turned him back out for the next several months, so he was definitely pre-conditioned.

Last edited:
Can't get shelled corn. Choices are rolled corn, flaked, or ground. I'm thinking of going with rolled, what ya all think?
Talked with the owner of a very large feedlot in Nebraska quit a few years ago and he was very adament about steam flaked corn as the only way to go. No experience with it myself.

Can't get shelled corn. Choices are rolled corn, flaked, or ground. I'm thinking of going with rolled, what ya all think?
The only thing I would say is that you should stay away from ground. It can be very dusty and can potentially cause respiratory problems I have been told.

The only thing I would say is that you should stay away from ground. It can be very dusty and can potentially cause respiratory problems I have been told.
I was wondering the same thing. I thought somewhere in another thread Jeanne had mention something about that as well, but not positive.

It commonly causes acidosis. The powder plugs up the filiei
(sp? fingers) in the stomach.
Here in NY cracked corn is like powder. Flaked corn is one of the best, but costly.
Do you have any grain farmers around that you could buy WSC from?

It commonly causes acidosis. The powder plugs up the filiei
(sp? fingers) in the stomach.
Here in NY cracked corn is like powder. Flaked corn is one of the best, but costly.
Do you have any grain farmers around that you could buy WSC from?
Most of the framers around me green chop the corn for sileage and sell to the big dairys. The 2 local mills (30 miles) just offer rolled, flaked, and ground. Rolled is the most expensive followed buy flaked. Price on rolled is $370 per Ton, flaked is $377 per Ton. Of course ground is cheaper.

The place I was getting corn from burnt. So I have to drive a bit farther. Shell corn is $400, cracked is $435, and rolled is $450 per ton in ton bags.

Most of the framers around me green chop the corn for sileage and sell to the big dairys. The 2 local mills (30 miles) just offer rolled, flaked, and ground. Rolled is the most expensive followed buy flaked. Price on rolled is $370 per Ton, flaked is $377 per Ton. Of course ground is cheaper.

Flaked corn is a good feed. If the corn is steam flaked, find out the moisture%. Moisture is a storage issue and you need to compare prices on a dry matter basis.

Unless they buy there feed shipped in they should have WSC on hand. I find that the more they process corn the easier it is to use a lessor quality grain.

Yikes. I'm paying $280/ton delivered.
Not much corn grown around here. What little there is probably is contracted to the big feedlots. The majority of corn that is grown is for silage. Farmers grow potatoes, wheat, and alfalfa in rotation. The right location and soil, onions are a big cash crop.